The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Remember when teachers, public employees, PP, NPR, PBS.......

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#16New Post! Oct 07, 2011 @ 18:01:28
@Leon Said

That union leader was violating state law in taking taxpayer money. Don't know about you, but no way am I excusing that.

How so? I thought he was getting paid by the union members?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#17New Post! Oct 07, 2011 @ 18:01:52
@Willi Said

union leaders getting huge pay sucks just like a ceo making huge pay sucks.

it sucks money from the pay the workers might get.
or money to improve product.
but as long as the rich are rich, the poor should be happy

Agree!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#18New Post! Oct 07, 2011 @ 19:36:30
@Leon Said

Perhaps he was still high from the power some of these unions have.

Teacher unions should only serve the purpose of protecting its constituents from bureaucratic abuse. Nothing more, and definitely not establishing pay and tenure at the expense of money for childrens' quality of education.

I f***ing lost my job because of it.

a teaching job?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#19New Post! Oct 07, 2011 @ 19:38:48
@shinobinoz Said

How so? I thought he was getting paid by the union members?

he i think is getting higher public office retirement pay because his union boss pay got included.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#20New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 01:28:22
@Willi Said

he i think is getting higher public office retirement pay because his union boss pay got included.

Interesting. Some separation package like the CEO's get it seems.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#21New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 01:51:53
@shinobinoz Said

Interesting. Some separation package like the CEO's get it seems.

i wish i didn't miss the bus to ceo school
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#22New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 02:51:53
@Willi Said

a teaching job?

Yes, PE. Which was cut, as well as my certificated employment, along with 500 others, because teachers in the union refused to take a slight pay cut.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#23New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 03:28:57
@Leon Said

Yes, PE. Which was cut, as well as my certificated employment, along with 500 others, because teachers in the union refused to take a slight pay cut.

That was mainly because of cuts and the enforcement of No Child Left Behind. Unions are only further down the line in why you lost your job.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#24New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 03:29:27
@Willi Said

i wish i didn't miss the bus to ceo school

You & me both!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#25New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 04:09:29
@Leon Said

if no union, still hard for folks to agree to pay cuts.
shame, pe was fun.
you lost, the kids lost.

you workin now?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#26New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 04:13:22
@shinobinoz Said

You & me both!

i learned how to build.
i went to trade school.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#27New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 04:40:45
@shinobinoz Said

That was mainly because of cuts and the enforcement of No Child Left Behind. Unions are only further down the line in why you lost your job.

No. In early 2010, in exchange for 5 furlough days last year and this year, our union negotiated a restitution of those 5 days AND a pay raise on top of that for next year. The hope was that the economy would be recovered by then.

Of course the economy is not. So the district, still losing money as a result, wanted to extend those furlough days and eliminate the pay raise until later to avoid layoffs. The union would not budge.

The result is I lost my job as one of those layoffs.

The union should not be negotiating a pay raise in the midst of an economic downturn.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#28New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 16:38:59
@Leon Said

No. In early 2010, in exchange for 5 furlough days last year and this year, our union negotiated a restitution of those 5 days AND a pay raise on top of that for next year. The hope was that the economy would be recovered by then.

Of course the economy is not. So the district, still losing money as a result, wanted to extend those furlough days and eliminate the pay raise until later to avoid layoffs. The union would not budge.

The result is I lost my job as one of those layoffs.

The union should not be negotiating a pay raise in the midst of an economic downturn.

Maybe. Without the union you would prolly have been paid much less then you were when you were employed. Unions are a mixed bag. But mostly I find that they have a positive impact on american jobs.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#29New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 19:06:19
@shinobinoz Said

Maybe. Without the union you would prolly have been paid much less then you were when you were employed. Unions are a mixed bag. But mostly I find that they have a positive impact on american jobs.

I have no qualms about getting pay raises.....during times when the economy supports it. The district only wanted to extend the cuts and put off the pay raises until the economy dictated it.

Otherwise they would have no choice but to conduct layoffs and increase class size, as the district put off layoffs for two years during the worst of the recession, by wringing cuts everywhere till they were bone dry.

Our union is too strong for their own good and for the good of education of children.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#30New Post! Oct 09, 2011 @ 21:40:25
@Leon Said

I have no qualms about getting pay raises.....during times when the economy supports it. The district only wanted to extend the cuts and put off the pay raises until the economy dictated it.

Otherwise they would have no choice but to conduct layoffs and increase class size, as the district put off layoffs for two years during the worst of the recession, by wringing cuts everywhere till they were bone dry.

Our union is too strong for their own good and for the good of education of children.

As I said. It can be a double edge sword. Thankfully ours has been more level headed.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs