Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#46New Post! Sep 20, 2011 @ 23:10:44
@hoppy Said

At the sound of the click, you will have been blocked. (CLICK).

*also heard the sound of hoppy's head going deeper into the sand with the other ostriches*!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#47New Post! Sep 20, 2011 @ 23:12:40
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I don't care if anyone cares about me, I only care about the Truth. I cleansed myself of both my political and religious indoctrination--on my own. You have no foundation whatever about the accusations you're making.

It shows! It shows!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#48New Post! Sep 20, 2011 @ 23:16:50
@LuckyCharms Said

Well then perhaps you should pay attention to the truth instead of some op ed piece on Fox News - of all places.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/aug/18/warren-buffett/warren-buffett-says-super-rich-pay-lower-taxes-oth/

There's other fact-based articles out there if you actually wish to find them, but this will suffice. Instead of the truth, what you're really after is wanting to hear what confirms your erroneous suppositions.

@hoppy Said

President Obama and his advisers are presenting the "Buffett Rule" as the cure for an epidemic of millionaire tax scofflaws, but national statistics show millionaires by and large are paying taxes at a much higher rate than middle-class families.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/20/irs-data-show-most-millionaires-pay-taxes-at-higher-rate-than-middle-class/#ixzz1YWmz9iWq

Oh dear! Which one to choose, which one to choose. The unbiased politifact facts or the FAUX NOISE machine regurgitated talking points. Dang this is just too hard.... maybe I"l go with the one that reports so I can decide to choose what they report!
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#49New Post! Sep 20, 2011 @ 23:18:09
The Company I work for has an elephant in the "leaning" column.. But I'm happy to say when I went into the details that they've been pretty evenly split for the past decade. Before that they were giving twice as much to republicans.
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#50New Post! Sep 21, 2011 @ 02:33:53
@shinobinoz Said

And I prefer to have the safety net for those who will fall short!

Its a safety net that is bending and about to break.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#51New Post! Sep 21, 2011 @ 02:55:04
@fractal7221 Said

Its a safety net that is bending and about to break.

And needs to be left unused except for it intended purpose.
You can't use a net to haul heavy rocks when it's meant for fish!

Also it should indeed be mended, and not cast into the sea taking the catch with it!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#52New Post! Sep 21, 2011 @ 08:05:52
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Exactly. He never expected it to pass. He just wants to make Republicans look anti-jobs. That would probably have worked 3 years ago.

Yeah, fine, if you have an infinite population. See what Obama's done, he's got his people sunk so low they're defending Ponzi schemes.

Since social security is time based, you do have an infinite population into the future. Sure, at some point the world will end, but then social security and ponzi schemes will be the last of your worries.

@fractal7221 Said

If its not a ponzi scheme why not let people opt-out of Social Security and give back all the money placed into the system?

Typically ponzi schemes are opt-in, not opt-out.

Why would we let people money get out what they put in? People pay the SS tax, it is used to buy US treasuries with a long maturity. If you buy a bond from a company (or the government), you can't go to the company whenever you like and demand your money back. You entered into a contract to lend the money for a particular length of time, if you want to get out you need to sell your interest in it. Now tell me, who exactly is going to buy a few trillion worth of US treasuries in order to fund early redemptions? You'll end up with a market glut, so the prices of the bonds will plummet. There's no way that's workable.

Quote:
The fact is there is no money, its all been spent. Some group is going to get massively screwed by the broken social security system.

If a bank makes a loan to someone does that mean there's no money and the bank will never get paid back? Not at all.

Quote:
Either the young workers of today and the coming years are going to face massive tax increases to support the retiring boomer generation or the boomers are going to get back far less than they put in.

Social Security is 100% solvent for at least another 26 years. Medicare is another matter.

@hoppy Said

The justification for President Obama's new proposed tax on the wealthy is wrong on the numbers. Despite the president's claims, millionaires don't pay lower tax rates than middle class workers.

Yeah, if you exclude payroll taxes. But why on earth would you exclude those? Oh yeah, because it makes a convenient point to ignore the reality of how much people actually pay in taxes, because the rich only pay them on a small portion of their income. Why should we care about anything other than the effective tax rate? A hypothetical federal income tax rate is nonsense.

Quote:
His proposed surcharge on capital gains and dividend taxes will raise already high tax rates on high income individuals and force even more investment outside the United States. The so-called "Buffett rule" is based on Warren Buffett's claim:

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/09/19/obama-gets-numbers-wrong-in-his-tax-plan/#ixzz1YRF7FEig

Well, if you want to only count federal income taxes as tax and exclude payroll taxes, then you might as well not count capital gains taxes as taxes either. In which case, Buffet's income tax rate was near zero.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs