Are prisons too luxurious?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
greenguy35 On May 18, 2015

Winchester, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:30:26
@Kristy69 Said

Also, if there is nothing medically wrong with you, you should do community service if you choose to be on welare.

Couldnt agree more....if they wont seek jobs for themselves let them serve the community that pays for their lifestyle
Nullzone On October 28, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:34:08
Adding the stigma of forced community service to being poor or unlucky.

Of course it could work by restricting all government and civil service posts to those that are unemployed. Hire and train those without jobs on fixed contracts, give them a chance to find something else whilst gaining experiance.
Nullzone On October 28, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:37:49
@greenguy35 Said

Couldnt agree more....if they wont seek jobs for themselves let them serve the community that pays for their lifestyle

Of course given the breakdown of tax payers in society it's extremely unlikely that the amount of taxes you pay cover all of the benefits you gain from the community.

I take it you would be willing to do community service as well. It's only fair.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#49New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:44:04
@Nullzone Said

Growing up in poverty, attending poor schools with no hope of going to college and with barely the education to get low paid jobs. Yes some people can escape it but the simple fact that the majority don't says it's not as simple as choosing to keep on being poor.

Many of them just give up. No one's going to hand you good grades on a silver platter. Anything is possible. I'm not rich or anything, I have to work super hard. Neither of my parents went to college and we used to live paycheck to paycheck.

I realized that's not a life I want to live and push myself to go further.

Quote:

Whilst I am tempted to believe random strangers on the internet when it comes to health matters I must side with the doctors on this one, obesity is classed as a disibility, whether psychological or physical and in many cases simply can't be wished away by people deciding to get there act together.

I'm talking about people who are under 300lbs and are perfectly capable of going to a job daily. Not 600lb. bed-ridden people.

Quote:

Really your opinion is that people are poor through choice and that if you make like terrible enough for them all of socities ills will be sorted.

No, I think the Social Service offices need to review each case, set a certain amount of money and monthly goal for each family and adjust the amount of money from welfare as goals are or are not met.

Not just:
"Oh, you're unemployed? Here you go."
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#50New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:44:33
@Nullzone Said

Of course given the breakdown of tax payers in society it's extremely unlikely that the amount of taxes you pay cover all of the benefits you gain from the community.

I do community service and I'm not even on welfare.
greenguy35 On May 18, 2015

Winchester, United Kingdom
#51New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 12:50:45
@Nullzone Said

I do community service and pay taxes and work...what do you give back?
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#52New Post! Oct 16, 2009 @ 13:19:52
Wow, I actually had to give Kristy a Kudo on that. I agree with her on this thread. I do think jail time should be punishment instead of rehabilitation. Society seems to always take a broken wing and want to mend it and set it free, but does nothing to help those that help themselves.
My nephew spent 8 years in prison for armed robbery, although he said it was really armed, because it was only a water gun. When he was released, everyone cradled him, praised him because he found a job, praise him because he was doing so good.
He came to me one day, and said, how come you never tell me your proud of me? I asked, why should I be proud of you for doing things I do everyday? I told him, keep consistent, give back to society and I will give will be proud of you for who you are, not what you are supposed to do anyway.
5 years later..........he is still a loser.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs