Society & Lifestyles

Community - Do you live in one?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#16New Post! Jul 06, 2010 @ 06:16:00
I live on a Reservation... Not only does everyone know everyone, half of us are related to eachother! lol It's been expanding over the last several years, and there are a few people I don't know... And the kids have all grown up and I don't recognize a lot of them... Most of us don't even bother waving anymore, we have what we call "The Rez Nod." Which is what it sounds like, a simple nod toward whomever's exsistance you're acknowledging, lol.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#17New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 05:30:08
I think a reservation would be a community.

Thanks for making me laugh, Lipstick, with your comments about community.

I have lived in an out of this neighbourhood all of my life but it does not feel like home. I like it here because it close to the beach and very beautiful. The problem with this neighbourhood like many is the people in it.

Some of them have way too much money and don't seem to contribute to society in meaningful ways. I could be wrong about this but most of them seem like spoiled rich folks who never think about anyone beyond them. They have entitlement issues. Not all of them but some of them. I am going to say at least a third are this way.

I feel contemptuous toward this way of being so I am already at odds with many of them.

Some of them do have too much time on their hands and talk about others.

To me this it the place where I live and come home to recharge so I can go back out into the world. I am not really interested in making friends or connecting with neighbours. I enjoy my quiet time - down time.
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#18New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 19:44:01
Sort of both lol. It was designed to be a community but its really just a load of flats with some people you know and some youd wish would move to Spain. Its called a London Council Estate lol.
bella_vita On September 23, 2010

Deleted

All over,
#19New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 22:47:50
I live in an area where 95% of the people are military. I've never lived some place with a stronger sense of community. When friends' husbands are deployed we make sure that we pitch in, babysit, cook meals,etc and help them adjust to life when they are gone. My friends here are some of the strongest women I've ever met.
adonis On October 21, 2010

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 22:52:32
I've lived my life mostly crammed in some s***hole with a load of blokes.

I now live in a wicked place, people say morning, chat about the garden and bulls***, its nice.

Bella 'm not sure about the yank bases but the UK ones are s***, full of b****ing and a nightmare to come home to.
bella_vita On September 23, 2010

Deleted

All over,
#21New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 23:02:51
@adonis Said

Bella 'm not sure about the yank bases but the UK ones are s***, full of b****ing and a nightmare to come home to.

I don't live on the base, just near by.. but yeah, base housing isn't very nice here either haha
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#22New Post! Jul 11, 2010 @ 20:31:39
I think a community where people are tied to the military would be a community. You have a common purpose and connection.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jul 11, 2010 @ 20:42:56
I think my village is a community...everyone knows each other, all the kids can play together(the older ones look after the younger ones). We have a 'Rose Day' with a parade and a fete, and raise money as a 'community' and on days like that you can really see the fact that it is a community.

And, sure, there are some people who think they are better, and some who don't like to get involved, but we still all know each other.

And, obviously the center of any community is the pub! And ours is brilliant, really child friendly, ends up employing most of them when they get in their teens, puts on events for them at holidays etc.
just_A_gurl On July 26, 2010

Deleted

Anywhere happy, California
#24New Post! Jul 11, 2010 @ 20:45:21
No, I live in a box
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#25New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 23:38:25
I want to move into a box. Today was interesting I drove to the North side of Vancouver which is so crowded in my hood by the beach. I drove in a straight line toward the river that separates us from one of the burbs. I crossed a major roadway and I am in what is referred to as the flats.

I needed to find a nursery that sells plants so I can put them in my garden and yell at people with dogs who pee on them. JOKE - No, people become upset with me because my dogs pee on their plants.

I get into the flats and I see lots of horses. I knew that there were a few horses in there but it has been years since I have been down there and I saw lots of horses. I saw some huge mansions, too, which makes me think I could never live there but then I saw some smaller houses --- maybe, one day. The other thing is horses and dogs might not mix. Well, now I have another pipe dream.

At the nursery, where I bought my plants, they kept horses and chickens. There were these beautiful chickens walking around the property.

In the city of Vancouver, we have a new bylaw that allows people to keep chickens because they can get fresh eggs from their own chickens. I am not sure was this is better.

Those chickens, not just the rooster, were a noisy bunch. If I really wanted to annoy my neighbours, I could get a few chickens. LOL Actually, this is why the bylaw is so controversial, I think. Also, we have a rodent problem in this city mice, rats, squirrels, as well as raccoons, skunks and coyotes. Chicken feed and chickens might just attract the wrong crowd. It would not be very good to have chickens in this neighbourhood.

As it stands, I live in a neighbourhood and belong to some communities outside of the hood.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs