Astronomy

UFO sighting ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Idioteque On July 14, 2010

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 01, 2010 @ 23:34:52
There's an orange star in the sky tonight that seems a bit strange. It's the closest i've ever come to somethng UFOy.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#17New Post! Mar 01, 2010 @ 23:48:10
@Idioteque Said

There's an orange star in the sky tonight that seems a bit strange. It's the closest i've ever come to somethng UFOy.

Perhaps it's Mars?
It usually glows orange-red.
Idioteque On July 14, 2010

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 01, 2010 @ 23:49:59
@boxerdc Said

Perhaps it's Mars?
It usually glows orange-red.

probly is. Never seen it like that before
matthewota On December 16, 2010

LA, California
#19New Post! Sep 26, 2010 @ 16:15:45
UFOs have nothing to do with astronomy. I thought this was the Astronomy forum...
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 11:28:52
@Richard142 Said

Do people really want explanations? I searched BBC's web site and could only find a reporting from 3 days ago in Northern Ireland. This makes quite a high number of unusual sightings if this frequency is representative. However the 'laws' of physics indicate that nothing can fly faster than the speed of light. If there is no other life able to travel between planets within the solar system and other stars are many light years away then it is impossible for ravel between stars so none of the strange sightings can be visitors from other star systems. Is this a valid logical deduction? It's difficult to prove a negative.

What you suggest Richard, is dependant on whether or not other advanced races in the universe have discovered how to utilise wormholes, if at all they exist?.

Also, we must not discount visitors from parallel universes, if at all they exist?.

I personally believe that many of these UFO sightings can be explained although not all.

Being a keen amateur astronomer, I have often seen satellites glide across the sky. They move faster than aeroplanes and there are many of them.

The many hoaxers do not help the situation as it wastes time and energy for the serious UFO investigators. If there are any serious ones that is.

My feeling is that until I see concrete proof that they are of alien design, I will not side one way or the other. Stay on the fence until sure is my moto.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 11:35:13
@Idioteque Said

It would probably be Mars. I was observing it a little while back through my 5 inch appo triplet. I observed it whilst I was over in Spain so I don't know what it looks like from your location?

If you can get your hands on a decent pair of binoculars, it would be worth having another look, because it will be in roughly the same position for awhile.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 11:44:40
@matthewota Said

UFOs have nothing to do with astronomy. I thought this was the Astronomy forum...

I have to disagree with you on this point, It has everything to do with Astronomy.

Many astronomers are devoting their time & expertise in the quest to discover life on other worlds. They have to date discovered over 400 planets orbiting other stars. We are listening for signals from all parts of space in the hope that we make contact.

Even if a tiny percentage of UFOs turned out to be of extraterrestrial intelligent origin, it would be the greatest discovery in the history of mankind.
matthewota On December 16, 2010

LA, California
#23New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:43:53
Astronomy is a science, based on empirical evidence. Flying saucers are not considered to be a science, since there never has been solid concrete empirical evidence that they are spaceships from alien worlds. Lumping the flying saucers in with valid exoplanet research is pseudoscience, and is false.

Most flying saucer buffs lack critical thinking skills and choose to believe what they want to based on desire, not logic. This is why the vast majority of astronomers ignore and at best, debunk flying saucer tales.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#24New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:47:55
@matthewota Said

Astronomy is a science, based on empirical evidence. Flying saucers are not considered to be a science, since there never has been solid concrete empirical evidence that they are spaceships from alien worlds. Lumping the flying saucers in with valid exoplanet research is pseudoscience, and is false.

Most flying saucer buffs lack critical thinking skills and choose to believe what they want to based on desire, not logic. This is why the vast majority of astronomers ignore and at best, debunk flying saucer tales.

UFO's do not necessarily mean "flying saucers". A UFO literally is an Unidentified Flying Object. Astronomers would be a good people to ask what such an object may be if no one else owns up to it.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 17:27:11
@matthewota Said

Again, I have to disagree. There is no doubt that there are things that have been seen by pilots and astronauts that have not been explained.
Because we don't yet know what their observations have seen, we cant just dismiss them as if they don't exist. There are many things that we don't understand, and UFOs are one of them. Because they are seen in the sky and therefore are heavenly bodies, they belong in the astronomy domain.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#26New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 17:37:01
Why do people automatically assume UFO = aliens?
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 18:20:57
@matthewota Said

@Pete Said

Why do people automatically assume UFO = aliens?

What specific "people" are you referring to?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs