Forums:
Health & Fitness

Health Care Reform in America

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
weaksauce On May 28, 2011

DFW, Texas
#1New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 13:25:27
Im sure many of yall know that there is some major changes in America in the last six months. One is health care reform. I wanna know what yall think think about this change. Do you think it will help people get better health care? Do you think it will just add to our ever increasing deficit?
Peach09 On August 06, 2009

Deleted

, Michigan
#2New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 14:02:30
I think we are about to be taxed big time
the deficit is so big now,will we get out of the hole in our life time?
China might own us
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#3New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 14:16:36
What has changed to the health care system then?
Arakasi On October 08, 2009

Deleted

Hull, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 14:33:51
@Peach09 Said

China might own us

Imagine introductions at the UN, "Mr President this the Russian Premier, Russian Premier, Pepsi presents... the United States of America!"
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 14:39:40
@Peach09 Said

China might own us

Just thought China probably owns half of you anyway.. the computer your typing on was probably made in china.. the clothes your wearing.. and the packaged food you eat.. your July the forth fire works... all probably made in china..
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:45:25
@weaksauce Said

Im sure many of yall know that there is some major changes in America in the last six months. One is health care reform. I wanna know what yall think think about this change. Do you think it will help people get better health care? Do you think it will just add to our ever increasing deficit?

In Australia we have had free health care for as long as I can remember. You can still pay to be partof a medical fund that give you the option of a public or private hospital, a choice of rooms and discounts on things like optical and dental. Today though, even without a fund membership, if I get hit by a car and am in hospital for 6 months, it costs me nothing.

For people who enjoy being part of a health find already through their workplace it shouldn't make any difference to the level of care they get. It will make a huge difference to those people who cannot afford medical coverage in the US. It's young people with children on minumum wage I feel sorry for - in addition to people with chronic conditions who cannot afford to work. If they had some health care access, they might be able to improve and go back to work.

If it were passed it would have an impact on your govts current deficit I'm sure. Providing free health care is not cheap, but it also creates employment to meet increased demand. Employed people spend and consume - something any country with a deficit and tough economic times ahead of them would find beneficial.

Personally I doubt it will get through. I think it's a worthwhile change but it is a mindshift for most Americans that anyone deserves anything for free.
weaksauce On May 28, 2011

DFW, Texas
#7New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 14:27:15
@amelie3 Said

In Australia we have had free health care for as long as I can remember. You can still pay to be partof a medical fund that give you the option of a public or private hospital, a choice of rooms and discounts on things like optical and dental. Today though, even without a fund membership, if I get hit by a car and am in hospital for 6 months, it costs me nothing.

For people who enjoy being part of a health find already through their workplace it shouldn't make any difference to the level of care they get. It will make a huge difference to those people who cannot afford medical coverage in the US. It's young people with children on minumum wage I feel sorry for - in addition to people with chronic conditions who cannot afford to work. If they had some health care access, they might be able to improve and go back to work.

If it were passed it would have an impact on your govts current deficit I'm sure. Providing free health care is not cheap, but it also creates employment to meet increased demand. Employed people spend and consume - something any country with a deficit and tough economic times ahead of them would find beneficial.

Personally I doubt it will get through. I think it's a worthwhile change but it is a mindshift for most Americans that anyone deserves anything for free.

I completely agree with helping out underprivileged people get medical help that they need. In a way we already have this system in place as it is. I can really only speak for my area because I have not investigated other areas around me. Our hospitals can not turn away a medical emergency for any reason. But if attending physician feels that it is a non-medical emergency we refer them to our county hospital which is a locally government run hospital, which is already supported by my taxes. So if you "get hit by a car" and you dont have insurance you are taken to the county hospital and taken care of there. You get the same medicine and the same orthopedic devices that you would at a organization owned hospital. The part i dont like about the government owned health care system is that they will be able to decide what they are going to pay for. For instance hypothetically your mom who is 90 falls an breaks her hip. The government can say well she didnt walk very well to begin with and her chance of surviving the surgery is OK so we dont think it would be beneficial to her, and if we do fix her hip she might just fall again. I dont want the government deciding that sort treatment. Under the current system she would have been taken care of and received treatment.

Now what does this socialized health care mean in the hospital and doctors office. Longer waiting times to see a doctor, get in to the ER or having diagnostics completed. Also since the government is paying for the health care they tell the health care facility how much they are going to pay for a particular exam. When this happens the hospital will start making cut backs whether it be in staffing and or supplies.

The Bigger Picture:
In the last six months the government has taken control of quite a bit of America. GM is no longer General Motors is basically "Government Motors". They control Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ( which is huge in the housing market) and now they want to take care of your health. Im not liking this at all.
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#8New Post! Jul 26, 2009 @ 05:06:07
@weaksauce Said

Our hospitals can not turn away a medical emergency for any reason. But if attending physician feels that it is a non-medical emergency we refer them to our county hospital which is a locally government run hospital, which is already supported by my taxes. So if you "get hit by a car" and you dont have insurance you are taken to the county hospital and taken care of there. You get the same medicine and the same orthopedic devices that you would at a organization owned hospital.

yes, but don't you get a bill later? I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that currently, it's not free.

@weaksauce Said

The part i dont like about the government owned health care system is that they will be able to decide what they are going to pay for. For instance hypothetically your mom who is 90 falls an breaks her hip. The government can say well she didnt walk very well to begin with and her chance of surviving the surgery is OK so we dont think it would be beneficial to her, and if we do fix her hip she might just fall again. I dont want the government deciding that sort treatment. Under the current system she would have been taken care of and received treatment.

In Australia free surgery is staggered in order of importance. Your mom with a broken hip would be one of the first in. No-one can walk with a shattered hip. She's be seen and operated on straight away.

If she had athritis in her hip and wanted it replaced, that might be a different scenario here. At 90, you are right, surgeons would way up whether your mom would survive the surgery. But the same questions would be asked in your country by surgeons, coverage or not.

@weaksauce Said

Now what does this socialized health care mean in the hospital and doctors office. Longer waiting times to see a doctor, get in to the ER or having diagnostics completed. Also since the government is paying for the health care they tell the health care facility how much they are going to pay for a particular exam. When this happens the hospital will start making cut backs whether it be in staffing and or supplies.

You're right. If it's free it isn't perfect - but would you expect it to be? You'd be grateful to wait 4 hours for it if the alternative was to not get it at all.

Government run care does not impact on the patient. There are guidelines around what tests are cost effective and how often they can be done here, based on universal treatment guidelines. Doctors cannot be compelled to NOT order a test that is ethically needed & in my experience, if there were such instruction, they would ignore it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs