The Police Aren't Legally Obligated To Protect You

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#31New Post! Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:51:24
They don't HAVE to protect you. If they don't, they aren't liable to be sued.

But they will protect you if they can. What do you think they're here for?

For instance if a woman is being beaten by her bf/husband and a police officer comes along, they're going to help protect her.

I really think this is being blown out of proportion.

The "Protect & Serve" slogan isn't false advertisement.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#32New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 01:52:23
@Kristy69 Said

They don't HAVE to protect you. If they don't, they aren't liable to be sued.

But they will protect you if they can. What do you think they're here for?

For instance if a woman is being beaten by her bf/husband and a police officer comes along, they're going to help protect her.

I really think this is being blown out of proportion.

The "Protect & Serve" slogan isn't false advertisement.

IMO , the example of domestic abuse is not a very good example.
When it comes to domestic abuse , cops now days are more likely to arrest both parties involved and let the family courts figure out what to do . There have been several instances where a call has been made for help, the cops get to the residences ,it's clear that one of the 'people has been abused., but when it comes done to making an arrest the abused person changes thier minds and won't press charges. So when all is said and done the cops feel it's a waste of time.
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#33New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 02:04:37
@iwannano Said

I don't agree - my uncle is an ex- cop and police try extremely hard to do something about domestic abuse when it is reported. If one person chooses not to report or act on a claim of domestic violence the cops will still do what they can. They will still show up night after night if it's reported from the same house - night after night for 3 years if that's what they have to do. They will still remove anyone who is injured from the scene, espec if any party is drunk - espec if there are minors present. I guess what they do comes back to your original point - they can't control the future, but they can deal with the present circumstances.

Domestic violence is a very valid case in point of what law enforcement try to do & what their frustrations may be. The police may not be legally obligated to protect us, but in my experience, many of them lose sleep because of their moral obligation and what they have been unable to do despite their best efforts.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#34New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 02:31:08
@iwannano Said

When it comes to domestic abuse , cops now days are more likely to arrest both parties involved and let the family courts figure out what to do . There have been several instances where a call has been made for help, the cops get to the residences ,it's clear that one of the 'people has been abused., but when it comes done to making an arrest the abused person changes thier minds and won't press charges. So when all is said and done the cops feel it's a waste of time.

@amelie3 Said

I don't agree - my uncle is an ex- cop and police try extremely hard to do something about domestic abuse when it is reported. If one person chooses not to report or act on a claim of domestic violence the cops will still do what they can. They will still show up night after night if it's reported from the same house - night after night for 3 years if that's what they have to do. They will still remove anyone who is injured from the scene, espec if any party is drunk - espec if there are minors present. I guess what they do comes back to your original point - they can't control the future, but they can deal with the present circumstances.

Domestic violence is a very valid case in point of what law enforcement try to do & what their frustrations may be. The police may not be legally obligated to protect us, but in my experience, many of them lose sleep because of their moral obligation and what they have been unable to do despite their best efforts.

Well how do you like that ? my uncle also is an ex cop, and some of the stories he will tell about some copules seem to think that Friday night, pay check , acohlo and domestic abuse is what makes the world turn(thier world anyway) .
I did not say that cops ignor the calls, I said , " now days they are more then likely to arrest both parties and let the courts figure what to do.

Sydney, Australia
#35New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 02:33:14
@iwannano Said

Well how do you like that ? my uncle also is an ex cop, and some of the stories he will tell about some copules seem to think that Friday night, pay check , acohlo and domestic abuse is what makes the world turn(thier world anyway) .
I did not say that cops ignor the calls, I said , " now days they are more then likely to arrest both parties and let the courts figure what to do.

I know what you said. I read it.
You also said that these days cops consider it a waste of time. I respect your point of view, I just see it differently.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#36New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 02:39:32
@amelie3 Said

I know what you said. I read it.
You also said that these days cops consider it a waste of time. I respect your point of view, I just see it differently.

Cool, finally . Lets agree to disagree. and understand I am not the judge that ruled on this , all I did was post the link to the report about the ruling.

Sydney, Australia
#37New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 03:12:34
@amelie3 Said

I appreciate that you feel passionately about this, and I also appreciate the original point you made in your OP.

@amelie3 Said

I have enjoyed many of your posts here and I meant no offense to you.

@amelie3 Said

I've read your previous post and I can totally understand why you might feel that emergency services in general might not be trustworthy.

I've been trying to find some things to agree with you on - or at least ensure you know I appreciate your view - through this whole thread.

I enjoy a lot of your posts and I respect all POV's, even if I don't agree. I'm not the font of all knowledge, nor do I have all the answers.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#38New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 04:10:19
I went and checked out your profile page . It seems your a brand new member. Welcome to TFS.

I'm going spend a little time and read some of your posts .
Talk to you later. take care.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs