"I have a duty to protect the public"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 15:33:13
Quote:
The armed officer, codenamed C12, told an inquest into the killing that he did not feel he had any option but to kill the Brazilian, who he believed was about to detonate a bomb.

"I didn't believe I had any alternative and if I didn't act then members of the public would be killed, my colleagues would be killed and I would be killed," he said.

"I have a duty to protect the public."

This is taken from a statement made at an iquest by the armed officer who shot Jean Charles De Menezes.

This is also what I've been saying for weeks. If Mr De Menezes had been a suicide bomber then many more innocent people would have been killed. If he had been allowed to board that train then the team would have lost him and we would have been left with a high possiblity of another 7/7.

If he had been a suicide bomber and the police had lost him and he had detonated explosives on the train then, assuming the team survived, the public would have tracked them down, hung drawn and quartered them and paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets of London. He did what he was trained to do in the situation he was in. He sacrificed one life to save many. The team did not know whether or not he was the innocent he turned out to be. They did they best they could given the situation they were in, with the little information they had.

It's time we stopped crucifying them in the press and instead thought of ways that the response could be improved.

sky news
bbc news
jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#2New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 15:40:17
guess it was a bang up job...one way or the other
or not
Second guessing; my guess would be that I hope that they never have reason to think of me in those terms.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 15:43:31
@jinks Said

guess it was a bang up job...one way or the other
or not
Second guessing; my guess would be that I hope that they never have reason to think of me in those terms.

Yeah. That's why we have to work on the response. A guy walked out of a building being staked out, with a similar appearance to a suspect and wearing the kind of bag which had been used in previous attacks. Due a communications failure, he could not be identified in time and was subsequently shot to prevent possible further loss of life.

The main problem was communications. We should work on reducing that kind of problem.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs