The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Depression, bi polar, anyone got any ideas?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
longstock On February 13, 2009

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 10:59:37
Hi guys I got a friend who suffers from depression and is bi polar.

I was wondering is there any way to help him at least tone down or even surpress these problems? specifically the depression (which seems to be brought on by bi polar)

I don't think drugs will really help here because they will tackle the symptoms but not the problem.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:02:40
Ok sounds whacky but maybe going climbing or caving or doing something physically demanding yet at the end you can feel as though you have acheived something. Sometimes when a person is in a low place they need someone to say "come on, im taking you out for the day" and get them to do something they never did before.

One small experience can give a lot of self worth.
the7thdimension On October 22, 2009

los angeles, California
#3New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:03:12
some people say peyote is like 20 years of psychotherapy in one night.

seeing as how there's no real cure of bipolar or depression, maybe mother nature's got what's best in store.
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:09:23
I have posted these quite a few times on here lol but here they are again:

1. Get a good understanding of what depression is. Self help for depression is much more effective once you know what you are dealing with.
2. Regulate your sleep patterns. Get up no later than 8am and go to bed no later than 11.30pm, even if you can't sleep. If you have problems getting up in the morning, get someone else to rouse you, or have a friend call.
3. Eat 3 meals a day, whether you are hungry or not, at the right times.
4. Ensure you get outside early to make sure you get enough bright light to help regulate your sleep patterns.
5. Do things to occupy your mind. If you have nothing to do all day, you will tend to ruminate over your problems.
6. If you are facing a big problem, make the decision to put off thinking about it for, say, 2 weeks, or whatever is appropriate in your case. If you cannot put it off, speak to someone else who you know to be a good practical problem solver.
7. Begin a 'depression diary'. In this rate each day from 1 to 10, where 1 is the worst kind of day, and 10 the best. This will help break down the 'all or nothing' thinking that depression can cause.
8. Get as much exercise as you can. Make yourself walk briskly every day, at least. If you have any concerns about your health, see your doctor before beginning this. Research shows that exercise can lift depression.
9. Get some kind of relaxation during the day. If you know how to do meditation, self hypnosis, tai chi or some other mind-calming technique, do it. It will help reduce the physical effects of the depression greatly.
10. Start challenging your own thinking about things. If you find yourself thinking about things in a depressive way, as outlined in Thinking Styles that Cause Depression, deliberately think in a new way. A good way to do this is to write down the original thought, then generate some alternatives.
11. Understand that depression is not part of you, it is due to a set of symptoms. These symptoms cause you to feel, think and act differently to normal. Once depression goes, things will be different. And when you have the skills to beat it, it is more likely to stay away.
longstock On February 13, 2009

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:22:23
Thanks a lot for the tips guys, I'd karma you all if I could!

Edit: Oh I can Karma...done
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#6New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:35:03
@longstock Said

I was wondering is there any way to help him at least tone down or even surpress these problems? specifically the depression (which seems to be brought on by bi polar)

I don't think drugs will really help here because they will tackle the symptoms but not the problem.

Your OP doesn't say.
Has your friend been diagnosed by a Doctor?

If you can do something like what treebee advised and get your friend active that helps and try to get friend into therepy ,group or individual for the symptoms that need professinal help, It really seems to be positive influence with the person suffering from bi polar.
The symptoms are what causes the problem.

I have lived with and very near to a family member that was diagnosed
bi polar 12 years ago, he tried the no meds, self medication and in the 'end' he got on meds and got leveled out on the ones that work for him.
jistolme On May 31, 2010

nowhere land, New York
#7New Post! Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:48:25
@longstock Said

I also wonder - does your friend have a regular Dr or Psychiatrist that is working with them for the bi polar? You say YOU don't think drugs will really help. Have they been prescribed any medication or tried meds yet. Bipolar meds such as Abilify has been very sucessful in treating bipolar disorder. There is no cure for bipolar so it is the symptoms that your friend needs to get in check. I am on a mood stabilizer, bipolar med and antidepressant, which makes me feel better than I ever have.

I really hope your friend has a good Dr and is not trying to self diagnois.
BrokenRose On May 03, 2009

Auckland, New Zealand
#8New Post! Oct 02, 2008 @ 06:34:05
@longstock Said

Depression and bi polar are both medical conditions and can't be treated fully with medication only, but a combination of the right meds and psychotherapy, maybe even attending a support group might help him. There are many different drugs so saying that they wont really help him is kind of a big statement unless he's tried them all.

When your friend is depressed just be there for him if he wants company or asks for any help with anything but at the same time, don't give up all your time. If he doesn't want to go out then don't force him as that can often make people more depressed if they are severely depressed and he may not have the energy.

If he has a doctor/psychiatrist that he sees, ask him if he's been going to his appointments as I know from experience that when a person is depressed they quite often forget to do things.
Most of all, just be his friend and don't judge him.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs