The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is there such thing as marrying a supernatural husband or wife?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#1New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 07:56:02
I have a close friend of mine who practices a weird religion. Well, it's more like a personal religion that has been practiced down in her family. Anyway, in their religion, every other son or daughter born must marry a spirit from another realm. This process is not done in any ritual but rather instead like a normal wedding...only there's no visible husband or wife. He/she must vow to marry the spirit and to remain together until death does the living person apart.

But here's the problem. Recently she has met a "real" man who she has fallen in love with. They have been talking about getting engaged and married, but according to her family's religion, her supernatural husband would get angry and cause bad things to happen to her and I don't want that. What should she do and what should I tell her?

It's a generational thing and it skips. That is how her parents were able to marry each other, and therefore she had to marry the spirit. Then she will adopt a child be it boy or girl who in turn will marry a real person and the cycle goes on...
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#2New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 07:58:13
wow... that is one hell of a religion... i dont know what you should tell her, but do you know the origins of their beliefs... ive never heard of this before...
basha On June 14, 2012

Somewhere YOU wanna be!!, Unit
#3New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 08:22:25
erm.....no!!
Kinda have to marry a real person....you know, beating heart and all that.....
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 08:25:20
Tell her to file for divorce?
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#5New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 08:44:18
so if she doesn't marry a spirit, she is shunned from the family essentially?

Any normal respecting parent lets their child be what they want to be. If she wants to marry a real guy, then she will. If her parents can't accept that, then its their problem. If they want to be childish and shun her and not talk to her then its their problem too.

If she really wants to do it, there is very little that will stop her.
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#6New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 08:58:52
Thanks for the advice, I will tell her this. I don't think that the parents make her marry the spirit, it's just old tradition. Whoever she adopts can marry a real person though.
Lord_DJ On January 13, 2009

Deleted

you really want to know =$,
#7New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 09:11:09

thats the wierdist thing I've ever heard
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 09:15:36
it sounds kinda wrong to me Its in our very nature to have a physical relationship, i could never work out the deal with nuns and monks. Anything that goes against nature is perverse.
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 09:25:40
i am a medium and just because she hasn't married a spirit,they wontget mad at her,but if its a family tradition,how comes she was born and other members of her family,its like the film entity time and time again,tell her to love her real man and marry him,her passed family will love it to happen,cos from where they are now they will see how silly this tradition is. x
udinkuknowme On October 25, 2008

Anderson, Indiana
#10New Post! Jul 19, 2008 @ 10:58:24
Wow, can you imagine what that family tree looks like? I never have understood the whole thing with marrying the person (now the spirit) that your parents want you to marry. I agree with what everyone else is saying by not getting married to the spirit, and marrying a real person. Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy, and not worry about others.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs