Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

Greenland ice yields hope on climate

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#1New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:10:33
An international team of scientists, drilling deep into the ice layers of Greenland, has found DNA from ancient spiders and trees, evidence that suggests the frozen shield covering the immense island survived the earth's last period of global warming.

The findings, published today in the journal Science, indicate Greenland's ice may be less susceptible to the massive meltdown predicted by computer models of climate change, the article's main author said in an interview.

https://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/07/06/greenland_ice_yields_hope_on_climate/
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#2New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:17:04
This global warming is worse than anyone before, but I do think it's about to peak now

Jurassic Pond,
#3New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:18:31
@chrill Said
This global warming is worse than anyone before, but I do think it's about to peak now

How do you know it is worse?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#4New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:20:48
There are no historical records that are similar to what's happening right now with the climate. The problem is that many species won't survive a warmer climate, there will be extinctions. Frankly, I don't care if the ice survives, I'm more concerned about the many different plants and animals surviving.
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#5New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:22:30
YEs, if only one race of animals dies, it can cause some "disturbance in the force". And if many, I've heard some people claimiing every third race, then it sure is very very bad

Jurassic Pond,
#6New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:24:13
According to science the world has been much warmer than it is now. There was even a time when there were no ice caps at the poles.
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#7New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:26:50
Oh... Well, still, I do think that the whole "OMFG TEH ICE R MELT WE R ALL GONNA DIE" is a bit over the top, but.. It's not like we can just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist (Like Mr. Bush does)
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:33:38
If the temperatures changed very slowly over millions of years as has been the case in the past, then yes, life does adapt, and conditions on earth have been much more extreme than they are now. The problem is with how quickly the temperatures are changing now. Many plants and animals won't be able to adapt quickly enough for their species to survive.

Jurassic Pond,
#9New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:49:15
@chrill Said
Oh... Well, still, I do think that the whole "OMFG TEH ICE R MELT WE R ALL GONNA DIE" is a bit over the top, but.. It's not like we can just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist (Like Mr. Bush does)

Of course it should not be ignored. But I doubt the human race has the power to change the global climate on such a profound scale.
thefourfoldroot On March 02, 2008

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 20:52:28
It's likely the Earth is going through a natural cycle. Yes, species may die, but others will come into being (evolve).

Personaly i think it's selfish to try to slow the process. All we'll be doing is pushing the problem we partially contributed to onto an innocent generation.
old55 On September 26, 2007

, Australia
#11New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 01:47:22
humans have already changed global climate nuclear bombs detonated below the sea has raised the temperature of our oceans altering weather paterns spacecraft blowing holes in the ozone layer the taking of oil which is its lifes blood and other minerals from its insides etc etc etc

if a species evolves one that causes destruction like the dinosaurs the earth will reject it the earth will upheave and manifest itself in a way that they cannot survive.

humans are far more destructive than the dinosaurs so we better prepare ourselves for the moment when she upheaves and ousts those who are not connected to her and have chosen the path of destruction it will be their doomsday but those who have choosen to embrace creation and creativity it will be bloomsday it could be a slow process could happen in an instant if she tilts
old55 On September 26, 2007

, Australia
#12New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 01:51:22
just the scientists drilling holes causes problems any drilling doesnt matter the reason, is destructive
spongebobsmycumrag On December 10, 2009

Lichfield, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 02:12:05
@old55 Said
humans have already changed global climate nuclear bombs detonated below the sea has raised the temperature of our oceans altering weather paterns spacecraft blowing holes in the ozone layer the taking of oil which is its lifes blood and other minerals from its insides etc etc etc

if a species evolves one that causes destruction like the dinosaurs the earth will reject it the earth will upheave and manifest itself in a way that they cannot survive.

humans are far more destructive than the dinosaurs so we better prepare ourselves for the moment when she upheaves and ousts those who are not connected to her and have chosen the path of destruction it will be their doomsday but those who have choosen to embrace creation and creativity it will be bloomsday it could be a slow process could happen in an instant if she tilts

BLOOOOOMSDAY i love it
ricecup On August 31, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#14New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 22:10:35
What old55 said could very well be possible, look at what happened to the last dominant species. And they don't even have nuclear bombs then.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs