The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
History

Why Did America Use Nuclear Weapons To End World War 2?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#46New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 14:44:46
@galasTAray Said

Complete s***. America is responsible for 1.2 million deaths in Iraq alone and another couple hundred thousand deaths in Afghanistan. They were not Bin Laden's "troops," and that just makes America that much more pathetic.

Wait, are you saying bin Laden was from Iraq? Or waging war on the US as a representative of Iraq?

Are you saying that bin Laden attacked the twin towers in retaliation for something that hadn't happened yet? Cause in 2001, the US wasn't at war with Iraq.

@galasTAray Said
Japan does not use the incident as a pretext to invade countries around the world and justify the killings of people and the destruction of governments, organizations, and progressive procedures all in the name of something as f***ing pathetic as the imperialistic tools that are "liberty" and "freedom?"

Japan was already at war - remember, Japan started the war - with the US.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#48New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 15:49:42
It's debatable, at best, that 9/11 started the Iraq War. I think Bush wanted to use any excuse there was to go in there, and, in fact, used the WMD issue more than 9/11 to do so. However, we can safely assume 9/11 started the war in Afghanistan.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#49New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 03:17:36
@galasTAray Said

Whether or not this nation or that nation considered civilians to be "fair game" (Interesting how you use a hunting term to define humans) is besides the point.

I used a common phrase. Whether it was a hunting term or not didn't even enter my mind.

Quote:
The fact remains that in both WW2 and in 2001, one side acted on another side in a manner that completely disregards civilian life.

Except in WWII (which I remind you ended 67 years ago), all sides made no distinction between civilians and military. In 2001, long after such tactics became unacceptable, only 1 side made no distinction.

Quote:
Russia could have nuked the UK and I'd tell you that the same thing if you compared Russia's nuking to 2001.

I wouldn't have made that comparison in that situation, though I suppose it would totally depend on the events leading up to such a suicidal attack.

Quote:
I'm merely stating the similarity between both events.

If you're really wanting to make a WWII comparison, then Pearl Harbor would be a better analogy. It still wouldn't be without it's problems, but it'd be better.

McKinney, Texas
#50New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 03:25:55
@galasTAray Said

If there's any difference you want to pick out between these two events and really try and make some half-assed point with it, why not take the fact that the nuking of Japan was not a few times worse, but hundreds if not thousands of times worse, yet Japan does not use the incident as a pretext to invade countries around the world and justify the killings of people and the destruction of governments, organizations, and progressive procedures all in the name of something as f***ing pathetic as the imperialistic tools that are "liberty" and "freedom?"

"Start a war"? They were already IN a war. A massive and bloody war, to be exact. That's the biggest problem with your analogy. 9/11 started a war, and the nuking of Japan ended 1.

You are right about 1 thing though. Japan never used liberty and freedom to justify imperialism. They used pan-Asianism and, ironically, anti-imperialism to justify it.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#51New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 08:37:22
@crazylikeafox Said

"Start a war"? They were already IN a war. A massive and bloody war, to be exact. That's the biggest problem with your analogy. 9/11 started a war, and the nuking of Japan ended 1.

You are right about 1 thing though. Japan never used liberty and freedom to justify imperialism. They used pan-Asianism and, ironically, anti-imperialism to justify it.

I'm talking about after the incident. Unlike Japan, the US used 9/11 as a tool to further its imperialistic ambitions. That's one major difference between both if you want to look at them that way. Every nation takes a hit at one point or another but it's only been the US that's been able to have the capital and strength to blatantly use that hit as a means to a further ambition. Bin Laden was from Saudi Arabia, Saddam had no WMD's and intelligence knew this extremely well, Afghanistan's opium doesn't grow itself.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#52New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 09:02:33
What about what sad dam did to the Kurds then. Although he did keep his country in order. But he was still evil.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#53New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 12:16:56
@galasTAray Said

That reason was to send a message and make an impact in the context by doing as much damage as possible. Both incidents had the same reasons therefore they are similar.

No.

The intended result of an action and the reason behind an action are two different things. Basic philosophy.

If I'm hitting a nail with a hammer and my neighbor is hitting a nail with a hammer, we both have the same intended result which is to drive the nail in. The reason for my hitting the nail comes before the action though, not after it. I might be hanging a picture while my neighbor might be building a table.

In the case of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the WTC, the intended result that was shared was to maximize damage and intimidate, which several people on the thread including myself have already admitted, but the driving reason to do those things was very different.

EDIT:

I realized that my analogy wasn't quite correct.

Provocation is more a designer of reason than expected result I suppose is the point I'm trying to make. Here's a better analogy...

I punch someone in the face.

That person is holding a gun and threatening one of my children and I'm trying to disarm him.

Another man in another city punches someone in the face. He's committing a strongarm robbery and trying to steal that person's wallet.

We both want to inflict harm and cause injury, but our reasons are two different things.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#54New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 21:54:49
@Eaglebauer Said

No.

The intended result of an action and the reason behind an action are two different things. Basic philosophy.

If I'm hitting a nail with a hammer and my neighbor is hitting a nail with a hammer, we both have the same intended result which is to drive the nail in. The reason for my hitting the nail comes before the action though, not after it. I might be hanging a picture while my neighbor might be building a table.

In the case of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the WTC, the intended result that was shared was to maximize damage and intimidate, which several people on the thread including myself have already admitted, but the driving reason to do those things was very different.

EDIT:

I realized that my analogy wasn't quite correct.

Provocation is more a designer of reason than expected result I suppose is the point I'm trying to make. Here's a better analogy...

I punch someone in the face.

That person is holding a gun and threatening one of my children and I'm trying to disarm him.

Another man in another city punches someone in the face. He's committing a strongarm robbery and trying to steal that person's wallet.

We both want to inflict harm and cause injury, but our reasons are two different things.

I understand what you mean and I'd be wrong if I said that the reason the US nuked Japan was exactly the same as the reason Bin Laden took down the towers. If I did say that, that's not what I meant to say and I think I've been clear enough with that in subsequent posts in this thread.

So yes, your argument makes a lot of time and I wouldn't see it any other way but at the same time, both acts were carried out with full knowledge of the effect on civilians there were going to have both acts did not discriminate between civilian or military personnel.

You can go on and on about how the US was justified in doing this or doing that while Bin Laden wasn't justified in anything but the fact remains that the two factors mentioned above are common to both incidents, regardless of whether it was the US, Bin Laden, or any other subject doing the act.

I don't know why we had to stretch out the discussion so far. It just seems to me like people generally don't like to think about things that's not on the government's payroll.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#55New Post! May 29, 2012 @ 21:57:21
@crazylikeafox Said

Japan had actually surrendered before the bombs were dropped, they dropped them because they would not give up their emperor for the allies to hang.
The dropped the bomb and spared the emperors life so go figure.

McKinney, Texas
#56New Post! May 31, 2012 @ 03:17:30
@MAW Said

Japan had actually surrendered before the bombs were dropped, they dropped them because they would not give up their emperor for the allies to hang.
The dropped the bomb and spared the emperors life so go figure.

Not really. Japan offered a fancy ceasefire, the US expected total surrender (mostly because they didn't want a repeat mistake of Versailles). You know, kind of like what Italy and Germany had to do. The Emperor was spared afterwards because MacArthur thought forcing him to abdicate would be too much for the people to tolerate.

This whole debate also forgets 1 very important event, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan around the same time the bombs were dropped. Do not underestimate the scariness of the bear.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#57New Post! May 31, 2012 @ 08:40:35
@crazylikeafox Said

Not really. Japan offered a fancy ceasefire, the US expected total surrender (mostly because they didn't want a repeat mistake of Versailles). You know, kind of like what Italy and Germany had to do. The Emperor was spared afterwards because MacArthur thought forcing him to abdicate would be too much for the people to tolerate.

This whole debate also forgets 1 very important event, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan around the same time the bombs were dropped. Do not underestimate the scariness of the bear.

Erm...yes really. The bombs were dropped because they would not hand over the emperor. Yet in the end they spared his life anyway, so all those people, including several American soldiers in POW in Hiroshima died for nothing.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#58New Post! May 31, 2012 @ 09:23:58
@MainerMikeBrown Said

Some say the U.S. dropped nuclear bombs on Japan because their would've been just as many deaths if we hadn't, as the Japanese military would've never surrendered until all was lost for them anyway.

However, others say we used nukes to scare the Soviets.

Why do you think we dropped nukes on Japan? My opinion is that it was a little bit of both.

Prolly just to test the weapons out.

The Germans did the same thing. They tested out their new weaponry on Germans before carrying out their manifesto.

Which is why Einstein got the f*** out of there. They tried to put him down with it, but he didn't want anything to do with it.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#59New Post! May 31, 2012 @ 09:47:01
Yeah people should be grateful the nuke wasn't tested on Americans. I know people are saying human life was lost but would you really sacrifice your own country to save another.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#60New Post! May 31, 2012 @ 10:01:01
@townie_guy Said

Yeah people should be grateful the nuke wasn't tested on Americans. I know people are saying human life was lost but would you really sacrifice your own country to save another.

There's so much about WWII we don't know.

I certainly don't believe any of the propaganda about it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs