The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
History

Why Did America Use Nuclear Weapons To End World War 2?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#31New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 01:45:34
@jonnythan Said

I had never thought of that but it seemed interesting and plausible. But it's apparently not true:

Large variations in the claimed death toll have fuelled the controversy. In March 1945, the Nazi regime ordered its press to publish a falsified casualty figure of 200,000 for the Dresden raids, and death toll estimates as high as 500,000 have been given.[7] However the city authorities at the time estimated around 25,000 victims; a figure which subsequent investigations, including one commissioned by the city council in 2010, support.[8]

Heh.

Misconception on my part then, thanks for the info.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#32New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 04:23:18
@galasTAray Said

They're both instances of a complete disregard for the lives of innocents.

It was a war where civilians were considered fair game from ALL players. I'm not sure why you think 1 country was supposed to suddenly change viewpoints at the last minute.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#33New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 08:01:03
@jonnythan Said

Wow, that was one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on TFS.

I will definitely take this judgement of yours into consideration the next time I write a post. Thank you.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#34New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 08:07:49
@crazylikeafox Said

It was a war where civilians were considered fair game from ALL players. I'm not sure why you think 1 country was supposed to suddenly change viewpoints at the last minute.

Whether or not this nation or that nation considered civilians to be "fair game" (Interesting how you use a hunting term to define humans) is besides the point. The fact remains that in both WW2 and in 2001, one side acted on another side in a manner that completely disregards civilian life. Russia could have nuked the UK and I'd tell you that the same thing if you compared Russia's nuking to 2001. I'm merely stating the similarity between both events.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#35New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 08:10:11
Well johnuthan has a point. The twin towers and the two nukes dropped on japan are two totally different events that are nothing a like. One was conventional warfare and the other an act of terrorism. And nowhere have I heard about world war two being a terrorist war.
fantasticpants On August 26, 2016

Dublin, United Kingdom
#36New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 09:01:41
I don't think it's use can really be justified.

You can say in retrospect that it ended up saving more lives than a drawn out war but most of the reasons why we find the idea of using it today abhorrent are still applicable to back then.

If a large world war broke out tomorrow then I don't think it's use would be desired or sought after by the public, and not just out of fear of nuclear reprisal which was absent at the time.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#37New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 09:02:33
@galasTAray Said

I'm merely stating the similarity between both events.

That's most certainly not what you did.

You said

Quote:
Probably due to the same reason Bin Laden flew two planes into the Twin Towers.

You aren't comparing how they are similar with this statement, you're saying that it's probable that the reason behind them both was the same, which is patently ridiculous.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#38New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 09:13:42
@MainerMikeBrown Said

Some say the U.S. dropped nuclear bombs on Japan because their would've been just as many deaths if we hadn't, as the Japanese military would've never surrendered until all was lost for them anyway.

However, others say we used nukes to scare the Soviets.

Why do you think we dropped nukes on Japan? My opinion is that it was a little bit of both.

Racism.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#39New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 09:15:08
@Electric_Banana Said

Racism.

How is that racist.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#40New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 09:51:58
@townie_guy Said

How is that racist.

I was making funnies.

And I personally wouldn't have used nukes....or soldiers to slow down civilization development as they're doing right now....

...Instead I'd use bombers filled with human feces over and over again.

Yeah, they might cry and plead 'martyr' and they might start wearing their screaming infants like hats in hopes to discourage it...

...but I'd still continue to drop the plop anyway.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#41New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 10:01:54
And that's why people like you will never hold a position of power. Everything is a joke. Maybe you should tell your "funnies" on remember day or maybe tell sum troops in afghan.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#42New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 13:51:19
@Eaglebauer Said

You aren't comparing how they are similar with this statement, you're saying that it's probable that the reason behind them both was the same, which is patently ridiculous.

That reason was to send a message and make an impact in the context by doing as much damage as possible. Both incidents had the same reasons therefore they are similar.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#43New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 13:58:13
No I still disagree. World war 2 was survival plain and simple. The other was terror tactics. They both resulted in collateral deaths of civilian population. But America nuked Japan to save its own country from the Japanese. Muslim extremism is there hatred for the west due to lack to the fact we ain't as spiritual. They see non Muslims as an enemy so they sim to destroy us and turn the planet into a Muslim state which they are succeeding. We are not attacking them first.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#44New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 14:10:13
@galasTAray Said

That reason was to send a message and make an impact in the context by doing as much damage as possible. Both incidents had the same reasons therefore they are similar.

Japan, as a nation, had started and waged total war against the United States for almost 4 years, having killed roughly 200,000 Americans. The US was looking at the prospect of having to invade Japan to stop its war effort - something that would have likely resulted in at least twice that many American deaths.

America had not declared war on bin Laden's nation. bin Laden didn't even have a nation. America had not killed hundreds of thousands of bin Laden's troops or civilians.

Both attacks were done for reasons, but the fact that they were reasons doesn't mean they were equally valid or defensible reasons.

Interestingly, the atomic bombs probably prevented around half a million American deaths and brought an end to war while he 9/11 attacks ultimately caused tens of thousands of deaths by starting and escalating armed conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#45New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 14:38:54
@jonnythan Said

America had not killed hundreds of thousands of bin Laden's troops or civilians.

9/11 attacks ultimately caused tens of thousands of deaths

Complete s***. America is responsible for 1.2 million deaths in Iraq alone and another couple hundred thousand deaths in Afghanistan. They were not Bin Laden's "troops," and that just makes America that much more pathetic.

If there's any difference you want to pick out between these two events and really try and make some half-assed point with it, why not take the fact that the nuking of Japan was not a few times worse, but hundreds if not thousands of times worse, yet Japan does not use the incident as a pretext to invade countries around the world and justify the killings of people and the destruction of governments, organizations, and progressive procedures all in the name of something as f***ing pathetic as the imperialistic tools that are "liberty" and "freedom?"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs