The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Poll: With bin Laden dead, is it time to end war?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
What is a realistic amount of time for the USA to be able to bring our troops home?
3 to 6 months
6 to 18 months
18 months to 2 1/2 years
View Results
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 07:50:37
Quote:

The death of the terror network's leader and an intensified debate about how to cut federal spending are fueling calls to accelerate the promised troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, declare victory and get out.

So with bin Laden finally gone, is it time for America's longest war to end?

Nearly six in 10 Americans think so, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken over the weekend. Assessments of how the decade-long war is going have improved a bit, compared with six weeks ago, and a broad swath of Americans now agrees with the statement that the United States "has accomplished its mission in Afghanistan and should bring its troops home."

The USA TODAY/Gallup Poll of 1,018 adults, taken Friday through Sunday, has a margin of error of +/-4 percentage points.

https://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-05-10-Afghanistan-mission-bin-Laden-troops-poll_n.htm?csp=24

The first an third poll options are ones mentioned in the article .
MoshaFreak On May 02, 2016

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 08:01:39
its guna take a long long long time now Bin Laden is dead!
they will either back down (unlikley)
ir probebly start to get revenge on the uk and us.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 08:25:01
@MoshaFreak Said

its guna take a long long long time now Bin Laden is dead!
they will either back down (unlikley)
ir probebly start to get revenge on the uk and us.

We sure need to do something as quick as possible. But to leave before tho 'job' is completed could end up making all that we have done an spent in both the 1,461 soldiers and the money all for naught.
We have 100,000 troops and are spending $100 billion per year on the war, plus $13 billion to train Afghan forces and $5 billion a year on civilian assistance.
I agree that the terrorists will probably not 'back down'
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 09:46:45
Several years if not longer. I dont think BinLaden's death is going to make much difference to the big picture.

I did hear a good joke about elton john singing a tribute called "sandals in the bin"
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 09:48:49
I want to vote 'no'. I think we need to leave troops in for a considerably longer amount of time.

Whether you agree with the war or not the worst thing to do is to ravish a country and then just leave when it comes to the important part.

We don't want to be those d***s who gatecrash someones small get together, turning it into a massive rave, then leaving before the tidying up has finished.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 09:54:00
@jmo Said

I want to vote 'no'. I think we need to leave troops in for a considerably longer amount of time.

Whether you agree with the war or not the worst thing to do is to ravish a country and then just leave when it comes to the important part.

We don't want to be those d***s who gatecrash someones small get together, turning it into a massive rave, then leaving before the tidying up has finished.

we "want" to be but our conscience says otherwise.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#7New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:06:29
We can never let down our guard with those guys. We need to keep them afraid to wake up in the morning and go outside in the light.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#8New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:10:57
What war?

The soldiers planted over there are dying from boredom, not bullets. My nephew was one of them.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:14:05
@Electric_Banana Said

What war?

The soldiers planted over there are dying from boredom, not bullets. My nephew was one of them.

thats a haphazard statement and rather upsetting in the eyes of people who lost someone over there.

, New Zealand
#10New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:17:26
@treebee Said

thats a haphazard statement and rather upsetting in the eyes of people who lost someone over there.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. There obviously has been some action but for some of the platoons there wasn't any.

I got the impression from people that I knew over there that, that which was causing turmoil where the soldiers over there waiting for turmoil.

Or as I've personally experienced. You might think you need a guard, but once you got one you'll really need a guard because everyone will be offended that he's there and causing trouble with him.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:19:33
To be honest, I really don't see troops being removed anytime soon...If they are removed soon without even helping rebuild the country it wouldn't look like a war on terror, to me it would look like a mission of revenge.

, New Zealand
#12New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:21:54
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

To be honest, I really don't see troops being removed anytime soon...If they are removed soon without even helping rebuild the country it wouldn't look like a war on terror, to me it would look like a mission of revenge.

It looks to me like "9/11?? Oooooooh man, we're going to be over there under your beds and watching you all take a s*** for the next two decades."
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:24:50
I think if they leave now then the whole thing was a waste of time. The taliban and other terrorist organisations will continue to move in and murder any non-conformists.

, New Zealand
#14New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:30:09
@treebee Said

I think if they leave now then the whole thing was a waste of time. The taliban and other terrorist organisations will continue to move in and murder any non-conformists.

Personally, I think anyone that wants a good life, deserves a good life.

But I also think that area of the world is just a big s*** hole.

If they really want to do the good ones a really kind and generous favor, they should send out ships and start taking the good ones back and immigrating them into established countries and leaving all the a*****es behind to rule their little empire of bombed-out dirt.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#15New Post! May 11, 2011 @ 11:31:45
Bin Laden died. Not the oil.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs