Society & Lifestyles

Child Benefit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#1New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:02:52
The Child Benefit system in the UK is 60 years old on 6th August.

When it was first paid it was 25p a week for the second and all subsequent children born. Today the sums are ?17.45 a week for the first child and ?11.70 for each subsequent child.
This comes to ?9.6 billion a year.

The question I ask is should this benefit be paid so universally irrespective of the income of the parents. I know of many cases were parents have been wealthy enough to never need their Child Benefit and have saved that money to give to their child when they buy their first home etc.

Should the government not be targeting this money to those children most in need?

Have you any views on the subject?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:16:07
I know what you mean, but how complicated would it become if this simple benefit became means tested? A lot of people give that money straight to thier kids or set up an account for them. A lot of people count on that money to buy food.

I think this one should be paid without discrimination considering how much tax we all pay.

The Family Credit thing is means tested and it actually helps me to be a working mother rather than sucking the benefits system entirely. I was so pleased when it came out because at long last there was a way single parents could afford to go out to work and drag themselves out of the poverty line.
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:26:52
You mean i get more money than my brother and sister?! YAY! lol... nah.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#4New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:33:54
I know full well how important Child Benefit is to a large portion of the population but there is also a large slice that simply don't need it and it would be better directed to hard working folk getting themselves out of the poverty trap.

Set an upper limit of ?50 K a year earnings limit and the money saved could be directed to those who would benefit most from what is after all a "benefit".

The admisinstration would be very easy to do as the Child Benefit is now administered by the INland Revenue who know the declared income of every household.

Deleted

#5New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:35:41
I dont actually see any of my money, though i know full well its spent on food and my pocket money and for when i go out, my mum gives me some.

Maybe the government should give it to those that need it most, but how would you establish those that needit more than others?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:38:23
I just think the amount of money this government screw me over for and the amount they have everyone should get a slice back, the high earners pay a hell of a lot more tax than i do. Besides if they are rich then they should give the equivalent to charity

Deleted

#7New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:40:18
Good idea, then we'd all be equal!
But its the government. so i dunno... i dont see much happening to be honest.
Government screws pretty much everyone over =[
Im not looking forward to tax!
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#8New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:41:16
@bendover Said
I know full well how important Child Benefit is to a large portion of the population but there is also a large slice that simply don't need it and it would be better directed to hard working folk getting themselves out of the poverty trap.

Set an upper limit of ?50 K a year earnings limit and the money saved could be directed to those who would benefit most from what is after all a "benefit".

The admisinstration would be very easy to do as the Child Benefit is now administered by the INland Revenue who know the declared income of every household.

I do agree with you that it seems unfair that people that don't need it still get it.
The Inland Revenue so screwed up the Family Credit that I'm afraid of what they'll do with this
I rely on our weekly Child Benefit because if we didn't have it we'd go hungry. We are one of those families on the bread-line and through no fault of our own.
angel_lily On February 16, 2007

Kent, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 12:49:09
We live in the kind of society whereby the rich get richer and the poor suffer!!

I actually work for the government and used to deliver benefits - they are all so complicated. I think child benefit is the easiest benefit to be paid - there are so many rules and regulations on every other benefit.

The government sucks anyway and I can't see anything improving in this country for a long long time!!

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#10New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 13:03:57
I've worked for both the Inland Revenue and Child Benefit in the past and know that a very simple fix in the system would stop payment to very high earners.

This would allow so much more to be paid to those families that rely on their Child Benefit so much.

Do the Beckhams of this world need their Child Benefit? Do the Royal family?
Does Jordan?

The list of those who don't need their Child Benefit is massive.

In my time in Child Benefit I only received one request from a rich person asking if her Child Benefit could be paid to a charity of her choice. I was truely impressed by her sincere thoughfulness as when I told her it could not she allocated it to her mum who she said she could trust to give it to charity as she herself was away so much she may forget to do it.
autumnsmama On March 09, 2009

Cambridge, Canada
#11New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 13:51:09
The canadian government is just as screwed up. I admit, I am receiving government assistance right now, as well as the child benefit. I am receiving assistance because my husband was in a very bad motor vehicle accident where he was belted passenger. We are currently fighting lawsuits because of the accident, and all government assistance I receive must be paid back out of any insurance monies I might receive from the lawsuit. Because of the accident, my husband can't work, he got brain damage and three crushed vertabres in the accident. This makes it hard for me to work too.

Did you know, half of my child benefit goes right back to the government? WTF?! On top of that, 50% of any earnings I make, gets ripped back by the government! My income for last year was less then $20,000CDN. How does anyone suppose I raise two children on this? We paid all our taxes throughout the years, how is it fair the government now takes my child benefit, and half my earnings? How am I supposed to get out of this poverty when the government keeps clawing me back?

Now THAT'S a screwed up government!

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#12New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 13:57:18
@autumnsmama Said
The canadian government is just as screwed up. I admit, I am receiving government assistance right now, as well as the child benefit. I am receiving assistance because my husband was in a very bad motor vehicle accident where he was belted passenger. We are currently fighting lawsuits because of the accident, and all government assistance I receive must be paid back out of any insurance monies I might receive from the lawsuit. Because of the accident, my husband can't work, he got brain damage and three crushed vertabres in the accident. This makes it hard for me to work too.

Did you know, half of my child benefit goes right back to the government? WTF?! On top of that, 50% of any earnings I make, gets ripped back by the government! My income for last year was less then $20,000CDN. How does anyone suppose I raise two children on this? We paid all our taxes throughout the years, how is it fair the government now takes my child benefit, and half my earnings? How am I supposed to get out of this poverty when the government keeps clawing me back?

I know that we complain at times here but your situation sounds totally crazy.
I know that the reclaiming of benefits paid from any legal settlement for loss of earnings also aplys here but child benefit is exempt from any of that. Make sure that any settlement you accept includes YOUR loss of earnings as the carer for your husband.
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#13New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 14:02:41
@autumnsmama Said

We're in a similar situation, whereby my husband has to care for me after my operation and w're currently fighting to get some extra money. He was working and now he can't it's not our fault we are reliant on benefits.
I sympathise with you
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs