The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Bin Laden's son to sue for death of Dad.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 11:48:13
@boxerdc Said

Well, Pakistan doesn't seem to think that we did.. And since it was between us and them, perhaps all the critics from the UK should just STFU..

Just sayin.

But it's not just between the US and Pakistan. If bin Laden was assassinated then the War on Terror, an issue of international urgency, loses some more of what little legitimacy it has left. Who the hell are we to decide who deserves to live or die without the rule of law behind us? It makes us no different from terrorists.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#32New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 11:50:39
@boxerdc Said

Well, Pakistan doesn't seem to think that we did.. And since it was between us and them, perhaps all the critics from the UK should just STFU..

Just sayin.

Not necessarily. We aren't talking about America breaking US laws or Pakistani laws but of them breaking International Law. It doesn't matter where it occurred, if America did break international law then they broke the law and should face the consequences.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#33New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 11:51:27
@ninozara Said

If Obama had been captured, instead of being shot and dropped in the ocean, maybe the 'victims' and their families could have sued him - rather than an innocent man who has openly condemned his fathers actions.

ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#34New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 11:56:20
@jmo Said

Raghhhh! Bugger.

...on another note, Obama should never grow a beard.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#35New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 11:57:35
@ninozara Said

Raghhhh! Bugger.

...on another note, Obama should never grow a beard.

True.

I did the same thing on twitter the other day, had to quickly delete the tweet before anyone noticed the mistake.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#36New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 12:16:11
@buffalobill90 Said

But it's not just between the US and Pakistan. If bin Laden was assassinated then the War on Terror, an issue of international urgency, loses some more of what little legitimacy it has left. Who the hell are we to decide who deserves to live or die without the rule of law behind us? It makes us no different from terrorists.

If he had stood up and surrendered, he would have been captured alive. But he had said publicly many times that he would never surrender and his enemies would have to kill him, so I suspect that he did not make any attempt to surrender before he was shot.

And while I wish no man dead, I can say without a moments hesitation that I shed no tears for him. I was living in Manhattan on 9/11 less than a mile from the towers, and I watched innocent people hold hands and jump from more than 800 feet up to their deaths, rather than having to endure being roasted alive. I'm certain that he not only shed no tears, but that he was happy it happened. He caused it to happen, and he DID wish them dead.

THAT is what makes us different than the terrorists.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#37New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 14:52:14
@boxerdc Said

If he had stood up and surrendered, he would have been captured alive. But he had said publicly many times that he would never surrender and his enemies would have to kill him, so I suspect that he did not make any attempt to surrender before he was shot.

The circumstances of his death are exactly what is at issue, here. We can't just happily assume that he fought back; there are good reasons to believe that he could have been taken alive with sufficient planning. Avoiding a court case is a strong incentive for the US government to have wanted him dead. Scrutiny is what is needed, and if the US government have nothing to hide they should fully endorse an inquiry.

@boxerdc Said

And while I wish no man dead, I can say without a moments hesitation that I shed no tears for him. I was living in Manhattan on 9/11 less than a mile from the towers, and I watched innocent people hold hands and jump from more than 800 feet up to their deaths, rather than having to endure being roasted alive. I'm certain that he not only shed no tears, but that he was happy it happened. He caused it to happen, and he DID wish them dead.

THAT is what makes us different than the terrorists.

Being able to kill one's enemies dispassionately is not a redeeming quality. The only thing that counts is that governments and organisations act morally; that is, act according to reasonable principles which have been agreed to by everyone. International laws are principles which have been commonly agreed upon by states and can be legitimately appealed to in situations such as this. Terrorists such as bin Laden have no concern to justify themselves to the global community; they dismiss common principles and demand absolution. We cannot properly challenge terrorists and rogue states except on the basis of principles which are commonly accepted; otherwise we are just on the other side of a symmetrical dispute.
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#38New Post! May 13, 2011 @ 21:37:39
@Eaglebauer Said

I think there are really two different issues in your questioning though. You seem to be saying that the son has his right to answers and peace of mind, and you may be absolutely correct in saying so. If he honestly had nothing to do with the atrocities his father committed, and is truly innocent, then we can't logically place the blame for those atrocities on him by proxy and say he doesn't deserve some peace.

But you also seem to be coming at it from the angle of international law and saying that it's more about whether or not the U.S. is in violation of it, which I admit is a valid question.

Which is the scope of your question, or is it really both?

Not asking with any malice, just asking.

When I posted this, it was based purely on empathy for the family.
But since then i've done some thinking and believe whole heartedly that they broke the law.

Wouldn't a police officer who shot an unarmed man in every day life be subject to an inquiry at the least?
Heck, i've seen officers charged and commited to time for less.
And isn't every man entitled to a trial?

Have you seen the reason listed on the FBI's site for Bin Laden's capture?
It seems no one felt it important enough to mention he was wanted in relation to 9/11.
Odd..

FBI Top Ten Wanted
Laurette On December 30, 2014
Cracker, please.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdo
#39New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 16:29:37
@jonnythan Said

The family of every victim of every bin Laden-organized bombing in history should sue them back.

I was just about to post that. I agree wholeheartedly.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#40New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 21:09:05
@Straightup Said

STFU?

Why yes, of course. Because only American's have any rights, the rest of the world should just eat d***...

Only you inserted the word American here, it wasn't in my post at all, and wasnt about that either. It would matter to me not at all if it were the same exact situation but to a different company other than America.

Methinks you are projecting.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#41New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 22:33:48
@Straightup Said

Let me make it clear first that the son in this instance fled Bin Laden with his Mother before 9/11 took place and had no contact with him in the decade since.

In other articles he is seen to be calling his fathers death an assasination, both unlawful and humiliating to the Bin Laden family.

He says it is the families right to know the thruth behind their father's death..

Bin Laden\'s son to sue for Dads death.

Fair?

The reason why I doubt this person's integrity is pretty straight forward. If Bin Laden was my father, his death might cause ambivalence, but his life would cause me enormous shame, loathing, contempt and disgust.

I sure as hell would not be looking to sue people for doing what is fair and reasonable - ie., kill a sociopath like Bin Laden.

That said, the USA made a mistake in killing him. They should have captured him, and placed him in isolation the rest of his life in a small room covered in pig skin, without his precious book, and streamed him live 24/7 on the internet for the entire world's viewing pleasure without his knowledge. Some people give up their humanity, and he is one of them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs