Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
odie On August 04, 2008

Deleted
Banned

toronto, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 16:55:25
ever spring we turn up all of our garden beds............and place a good inch of top soil, would manure be better and why?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#2New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 17:02:41
If you spread (real) manure on your soil, you should turn it afterwards... It has to be 'in' the soil for it to have any effect on the root-systems of what you might be planting... and Yes, I'd say it would be better than just dumping top-soil on turned dirt. How do you know where the 'top-soil' came from, or whether it has any nutrients left in it? At least, by adding the nutrients (natural manure, or the bagged material from where-ever) to your soil, you know you are making a positive difference! I like to add peat-moss to the mix too, so that the moisture stays in the top soil longer...
odie On August 04, 2008

Deleted
Banned

toronto, Canada
#3New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 17:26:29
@saegespaene Said
If you spread (real) manure on your soil, you should turn it afterwards... It has to be 'in' the soil for it to have any effect on the root-systems of what you might be planting... and Yes, I'd say it would be better than just dumping top-soil on turned dirt. How do you know where the 'top-soil' came from, or whether it has any nutrients left in it? At least, by adding the nutrients (natural manure, or the bagged material from where-ever) to your soil, you know you are making a positive difference! I like to add peat-moss to the mix too, so that the moisture stays in the top soil longer...

oh thankyou, that was a huge help!

its just the bagged manure, so I will put it on the soil, then turn everything then.

thanks oh thanks!

Part-time Nidologist

#4New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 18:00:54
@odie Said
its just the bagged manure, so I will put it on the soil, then turn everything then.

This is the natural product, right? Not the prepared chemicals for scattering (Scotts Turf-builder and the like)? If you just have granulated sand and chemicals, that stuff will get into the ground when it rains, and you don't have to turn the soil.... unless, of course, the soil is non-absorbant, hard-as-a-rock.
odie On August 04, 2008

Deleted
Banned

toronto, Canada
#5New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 18:12:56
no, its not scotts turf-builder, just called manure.
odie On August 04, 2008

Deleted
Banned

toronto, Canada
#6New Post! Apr 18, 2008 @ 21:39:53
@saegespaene Said

I did find out that soil should never be turned over.........to many perennials are there, apparently just put 1-2 inches of manure on top and the worms and critters will get it down there.
megsy On April 25, 2008

Toronto, Canada
#7New Post! Apr 21, 2008 @ 01:25:00
Manure is definitely better than topsoil, so many yummy nutrients for your plants to sink their roots into. I would suggest a well composted sheep or horse manure, worked into the soil with a cultivator if the bed is already planted. Just cultivate the first 5 centimetres or so around the existing plants. Cultivating a bed now and then is healthy, you allow air and water flow. If this is a fresh bed, with no plants, bring out the elbow grease and double dig that s*** in. Just sayin'

(I don't know if you noticed but I like to garden)
Part-time Nidologist

#8New Post! Apr 21, 2008 @ 02:02:03
@odie Said
I did find out that soil should never be turned over.........to many perennials are there, apparently just put 1-2 inches of manure on top and the worms and critters will get it down there.

Well, Odie, I would agree...to disagree. It really would depend on what it is you're trying to cultivate!
I used to have an Irish neighbor, and every fall he would take a pitchfork and a spade, and work over his entire front lawn. (Yes, he was a wirey, grouchy ol' Irishman.) Every spring, his lawn would burst right out of the ground. He wasn't even adding any manure. It was just the natural decomposition of the old grass that would feed the new.... There is a rhythm to nature, and he found it. If you don't wish to disturb your plantings, you can scatter your manure as you wish... With the rains and good luck, enough of it will still get into the soil, but a good portion of the nutrient gases will become airborne, and your neighbors will be all the wiser!
yomomma On July 02, 2008

hi,
#9New Post! Apr 22, 2008 @ 23:08:10
Does s***ting in your yard count as manure? Cause it's doing wonders for me.
Part-time Nidologist

#10New Post! Apr 22, 2008 @ 23:09:28
@yomomma Said
Does s***ting in your yard count as manure? Cause it's doing wonders for me.

Every litter-bit helps!
odie On August 04, 2008

Deleted
Banned

toronto, Canada
#11New Post! Apr 27, 2008 @ 22:02:43
@saegespaene Said
Well, Odie, I would agree...to disagree. It really would depend on what it is you're trying to cultivate!
I used to have an Irish neighbor, and every fall he would take a pitchfork and a spade, and work over his entire front lawn. (Yes, he was a wirey, grouchy ol' Irishman.) Every spring, his lawn would burst right out of the ground. He wasn't even adding any manure. It was just the natural decomposition of the old grass that would feed the new.... There is a rhythm to nature, and he found it. If you don't wish to disturb your plantings, you can scatter your manure as you wish... With the rains and good luck, enough of it will still get into the soil, but a good portion of the nutrient gases will become airborne, and your neighbors will be all the wiser!

my gardens are filled with perennials, by turning over the soils, some plants that are just starting to grow, do get dug into.

so now, I will wait for everything to emerge safely and then do it.
theRaven On April 19, 2009

, Canada
#12New Post! Apr 07, 2009 @ 03:52:57
Well I am a bit aprehensive here (spell check please lol) I live on a dairy farm soooooooooo manure is plentiful. We stock pile it and leave it for a few years before we spread it on the gardens and then we work it in.

Manure can burn the plants if one just sprinkles it around the top.....I would recommend if u are going to use manure you scratch the soil around the plants and add a bit of manure around but stay away from the plant.
friendlybear On March 10, 2010

Deleted

Nanaimo, Canada
#13New Post! May 22, 2009 @ 03:00:03
Or even better, use a fish based fertilizer diluted with water. That way the nutrients get to the root zone of the plants where they are needed. Do not use fertilizers on plants bearing fruit or vegetables for 30 days before harvesting.
Digital On November 13, 2009

#14New Post! Jul 10, 2009 @ 02:58:28
I suggest Black Kow. It is composted manure. It is rich in all the nutrients plants need.

D
manfraco On November 04, 2010

Brisbane, Australia
#15New Post! Aug 07, 2009 @ 06:25:59
If there are no plants in your garden beds it is better to dig it all up and mix your manure with the soil, if there are plants then it would be better to use some weak manure like grass clippings as a cover, this will become manure with time, while it protects the root system from excessive heat. Happy gardening!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs