mother fighting neglect charges for having son walk to school

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
CaLyPsO On June 04, 2022
spankable deity

kent, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 13:21:45
i dont think it is neglect but the child is way too young to walk alone to school..my daughter is 9 and i still wont let her do that x
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#17New Post! Dec 22, 2010 @ 16:10:20
@boxerdc Said

After reading it.. I don't think it's either.. I think she's just a victim of poor circumstances..

She fought like crazy to keep her childs bus route, and was denied. Then she fought to allow him to walk to a different route so he wouldn't have to cross the two busy streets, and as denied..

A neglectful mother, or one with poor judgment wouldn't do all that fighting with the school board if she had another option.

I was ready to agree with this, but then I read the article. He normally walks to school with an older sibling, but he walks home alone because he only attends for half the day.

Other parents have offered to drive him but she says she prefers that he gets the exercise.

I would certainly not be comfortable with my kid walking to school that far, but I don't live in a city. I still may not be comfortable depending on the city.

What's a mile in a city? 8-10 blocks? In the city I live in now, I would be comfortable letting my daughter walk that distance to school in the company of others. Not alone.

Do I think the mother should be cited for neglect? No. Not unless she had denied him a coat or umbrella (the problem IIRC was that he was walking in bad weather).

Overall, the mother is teaching the kids self-responsibility. Still a bit scary for me, but I'm not in her situation.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs