Politics

bbc bias on immigration issue

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
excalibur On March 30, 2010

notts, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:04:24
on wednesday the bbc aired a programme "when the immigrants left", in it it took several long term unemployed and put them into jobs previously held by immigrants, in an attempt to prove the political lefts theory that native brits are too lazy to work.

after watching it i was dismayed at the time given to the british trainees to learn jobs in areas that they had no knowledge, before a conclusion was made in favour of migrants.

an excellent example of the bias tactics was to put three people in an indian restaurant, all had no experience and the language was always going to be a problem, yet the programme proceeded to put untrained people in positions where they were certain to fail and look stupid. Another was putting three people in an agricultural enviroment, and expecting them to perform in a limited time (3 days)to the same level as trained operatives.

these brits are unskilled and chasing jobs at the lower end of the job scale, as they do not hold the qualifications to pursue other avenues, now if we have certain skills gaps i can understand at least the argument for migration, but for jobs in catering, labouring, and shopwork, i see no point whatsoever.

if these trends continue the dependency on welfare for many young people will certainly become a long term reality, the longer they rely on the state, the less likely they will ever contribute anything back.

It is time that programme makers actually made programmes that show the other realities of migration, especially in inner cites where essential public services are at near breaking point, and the very fabric of multi-cultural britain is breaking down..

to label the brits as workshy is a disgraceful generalisation, and is quite offensive, i agree there are people who are lazy, they should be held to account, but there are thousands of young and old alike who simply want a fair chance at the uk job market, we must invest in them and give them the skills they need to both contribute back into society and to raise their self esteem and halt their dependence of state handouts.

The bbc is guilty of not showing the true effects and costs of migration, and is again playing up to the priciples of the political left to give a distorted view of reality- they should be ashamed.

Iis shocking that our own people are being ignored, in favour of quick fix solutions, cheaper to import labour than train our own, comes to mind.

the programme is still available on bbciplayer.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:29:32
I watched it and I see your point totally, it wasn't a balanced argument at all. For one thing with regard to the agricultural work: Yes you could get up to speed quickly but that work only lasted for six weeks. Now when you consider that the person on benefit would lose their right to claim and have to reapply six weeks later the problems arise. Some of the forms you have to fill in and loops you have to go through to get those benefits are ridiculous, I know because I have done them, it takes forever to sort out so there is a very real chance that once those six weeks were up and you found yourself once again without a job then you could be penniless while the government sort out your claim which in my case took 9 weeks, yes you get it backdated but it doesnt put food on the table in the meantime.

Nobody unskilled would pick up waiting on tables in one day in a busy restaurant and I don't care what country they come from.
Some of the people they 'chose' were lazy good for nothings but again I think that it was no accident they chose who they did.

I don't doubt for one minute that the migrants work very hard, I've seen it first hand, they have very good work ethics so I don't want anyone to think I am writing this because I take issue with them, I don't but like the OP I want to see things on a balanced scale not tipped heavily by the BBC.

notts, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:41:24
thanks kaydoh for responding.

i too have worked with many migrants, i was once a trainer at a local distribution centre and they are very good workers especially from eastern europe, however there is like we both acknowledge a flip side to the benefits to employers seeking foreign labour.

it is rightly so about balance, both in the workplace and how the media distort the real truths effecting everyday people to meet their own political means.

Bbc should be informative, truthful and above all impartial in its reporting, especially on such important issues as immigration. failure to quote facts and the truths leads to the very resentments and hostilities in society that can obviously manifest,
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#4New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:47:11
can't say i watched the programme, but from what i read of it, i was under the impression that the goal of the programme was to test the "taking our jobs" mentality, by giving the native people the chance to prove that they are just as willing as the immigrant workers to work in those jobs.

and from what i heard, a lot of the native people who were given the chance, blew it through their own fault.

#5New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:50:27
@mark_is_god Said

can't say i watched the programme, but from what i read of it, i was under the impression that the goal of the programme was to test the "taking our jobs" mentality, by giving the native people the chance to prove that they are just as willing as the immigrant workers to work in those jobs.

and from what i heard, a lot of the native people who were given the chance, blew it through their own fault.

They did, not disputing that but the people were hand picked, so no surprises they failed it was inevitable

notts, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:52:30
@mark_is_god Said

not all blew it mark, and those who did would have never got a job like that anyway. but there are plenty of brits who could and would do those jobs if we operated on a level playing field, no sorry i must object to what i just said, its in my opinion that we british should get preferential treatment when it comes to employment, brits must be put first if the long term is to be better for our own people.

failure to invest, train and educate our own, leaves us open to governments with alterior motives, like with this governments open door policy- who in turn will be reliant on the votes of the same said migrants to stay in political office.

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:54:45
from what im reading
guardian
yes i know not the best source to use lol, but the others are saying basically the same.

i can't really see any excuses for these people even if they were hand picked, the jobs were simple non-skilled work.
which anyone who was willing, could pick up easily.

of course these people don't represent every single unemployed person out there, but i fear it represents one too many.

antrim, Ireland
#8New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:57:54
@excalibur Said

british should get preferential treatment when it comes to employment, brits must be put first if the long term is to be better for our own people.

no we shouldn't, if you aren't as suitable as someone else, tough, regardless of that persons origin.

and employing British people doesn't make any difference too the country as a whole.
money is money, workers are workers.

notts, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:58:46
for example, if you went for a job vacancy, and there were ten applicants but one position, you can guarantee nine will not get the job, some because they are not skilled, others due to lack of any skills, it is the latter who were predominately chosen to be ridiculed on the programme. the lad in the restaurant could hardly speak proper english let alone understand an indian restaurant menu and enviroment.

take into account also that we have thousands of skilled workers on the dole who used to work in thriving manufacturing industries, what are they to do, many spending their whole lives in their particular field from school leaving age, what training or prospects do they have when they cannot even get basic labouring work in their own communities.

the programme was a ploy to suit its labour masters, pure and simple, not what licence fee money should be spent on.

#10New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:58:56
@mark_is_god Said

from what im reading
guardian
yes i know not the best source to use lol, but the others are saying basically the same.

i can't really see any excuses for these people even if they were hand picked, the jobs were simple non-skilled work.
which anyone who was willing, could pick up easily.

of course these people don't represent every single unemployed person out there, but i fear it represents one too many.

Being front of house in a busy Indian restaurant is not simple non skilled work, this guy didn't even know how to knot his tie, in fairness he gave it a really good go but it all got too much. I'm an experienced waitress but I know how stressed it can get when you're busy, even if you know what you are doing and can understand the menu!

antrim, Ireland
#11New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:03:30
@excalibur Said

for example, if you went for a job vacancy, and there were ten applicants but one position, you can guarantee nine will not get the job, some because they are not skilled, others due to lack of any skills, it is the latter who were predominately chosen to be ridiculed on the programme. the lad in the restaurant could hardly speak proper english let alone understand an indian restaurant menu and enviroment.

take into account also that we have thousands of skilled workers on the dole who used to work in thriving manufacturing industries, what are they to do, many spending their whole lives in their particular field from school leaving age, what training or prospects do they have when they cannot even get basic labouring work in their own communities.

the programme was a ploy to suit its labour masters, pure and simple, not what licence fee money should be spent on.

yes you're right this one programme is a conspiracy masterminded from labour to make local workers look bad.

it all makes sense.
you want a job earn it, being born here isn't, and rightfully so, isn't going to get you any brownie points.

notts, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:04:49
@kaydoh Said

Being front of house in a busy Indian restaurant is not simple non skilled work, this guy didn't even know how to knot his tie, in fairness he gave it a really good go but it all got too much. I'm an experienced waitress but I know how stressed it can get when you're busy, even if you know what you are doing and can understand the menu!

all the brits on the programme were selected and given the jobs that were least catered to their abilities, the young lad would have done lots better on the asparagus farm. he was also flung in at the deep end, ridiculed and totally embarrassed by the whole affair), bet he is now scared off work for life thanks to the beeb, but again that suits their objectives doesn't it

antrim, Ireland
#13New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:05:27
@kaydoh Said

taking Indian orders is by no definition skilled work, anyone could do, yes the guy has the excuse of lack of experience but lack of skill isn't an excuse for this job.

#14New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:09:47
@mark_is_god Said

taking Indian orders is by no definition skilled work, anyone could do, yes the guy has the excuse of lack of experience but lack of skill isn't an excuse for this job.

Skilled maybe pushing it a bit far but if you have no idea what foods are or how to spell them it makes for a tough job to take multiple orders at a table, let alone communicate with the kitchen what you need, it's not unlearn-able but it gonna take a while. How many people would look good if filmed in the first day of a job they have never done before??

I'm not against the program or what it tried to achieve, I just would have like to seen it be more balanced.

notts, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 14:10:53
@mark_is_god Said

the lad did not seem to have any skills at all, obviously never worked, and failed at school. He could not communicate properly,even dress appropriately, and was expected to go into what can be a demanding enviroment and fulfil expectations of somebody who possessed the relevant skills needed to perform that role, not only has this lad obviously failed academically (maybe his fault or could be the states), he has now also been publicly humiliated on tv and portrayed as a lazy oik who does not want work, crass, offensive tv.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs