What would change who you vote for?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#1New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:31:01
I was wondering after all the rhetoric of the primary season, with Mitt Romney appearing to change some of his policies (such as certain healthcare reforms that he brought in as Governor) so he can appeal more to the righter wing of the republican party.

My question is what policy's could change the way you vote. If Obama became more pro life, pro gun, less anti healthcare for anyone and anti tax would you republicians vote for him. If Romney now shifs to the centre (and lets be honest thats what he's likely to do) and became pro choice, pro healthcare, pro poor would that change the dems minds.

Now lets be realistic, the majority of Americans are centrist's despite the fringes being far more vocal, so what realist policies would make you change your vote
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:39:25
If one of them actually proposed more freedom for Americans, shrinking the federal government and spending less money.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:42:19
For me it has less to do with a specific policy than the actual candidate.

When the republican party puts up a good candidate, I will strongly consider voting for her/him.

As it stands, I see no reason to vote for Romney... regardless of what comes out of his mouth.

However, if I was compelled to come up with a policy it would start with tax reform... I kind of like that flat tax... or federal sales tax. I would like to hear the Reps stop promoting the richest of the rich at the expense of the Middle class... we do the work and pay the taxes. I have no sympathy for the rich and their tax woes. (And before someone goes off on "I hate Obama" or "Well they do it to"... save it... both political parties in the USA suck.)
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:43:59
@chaski Said
However, if I was compelled to come up with a policy it would start with tax reform... I kind of like that flat tax... or federal sales tax. I would like to hear the Reps stop promoting the richest of the rich at the expense of the Middle class... we do the work and pay the taxes. I have no sympathy for the rich and their tax woes. (And before someone goes off on "I hate Obama" or "Well they do it to"... save it... both political parties in the USA suck.)

A flat tax or federal sales tax would increase the amount of taxes the lower classes pay, and decrease the amount of taxes the upper classes pay.

It appears you have not thought this through.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:46:05
@jonnythan Said

A flat tax or federal sales tax would increase the amount of taxes the lower classes pay, and decrease the amount of taxes the upper classes pay.

It appears you have not thought this through.

Actually I have thought it through.

I am happy with both the rich and the poor and the middle class paying taxes in relation to their purchases.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:47:02
@chaski Said

Actually I have thought it through.

I am happy with both the rich and the poor and the middle class paying taxes in relation to their purchases.

So you're OK with the poorest people in the country paying much more tax than they do now, and the richest people in the country paying much less tax than they do now?

That's something you think is a good idea?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#7New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:49:43
@jonnythan Said

So you're OK with the poorest people in the country paying much more tax than they do now, and the richest people in the country paying much less tax than they do now?

That's something you think is a good idea?

How would the rich pay less if there was a sales tax? Whatever they bought would be taxed.

If they bought, for example, an expensive car they would be taxed for it. If someone else bought an expensive car, they would be taxed for it. If they bought a $6 million home... they would be taxed for it. If they bought... pick something... they would be taxed for it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 18:54:58
@chaski Said

How would the rich pay less if there was a sales tax? Whatever they bought would be taxed.

If they bought, for example, an expensive car they would be taxed for it. If someone else bought an expensive car, they would be taxed for it. If they bought a $6 million home... they would be taxed for it. If they bought... pick something... they would be taxed for it.

You realize that the highest federal tax bracket is currently 35%? Obviously a federal sales tax wouldn't be 35%. It would be less than that.

Furthermore, rich people don't spend all their money the way poor people do. They invest it and save it. Thus the money saved and invested won't be subject to the sales tax the way it's currently subject to an income tax, further decreasing their tax burden.

Also, poor people currently pay zero tax. Many of them actually pay negative tax. A sales tax would subject almost every penny poor people earn to more tax than they pay now.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#9New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:05:47
@jonnythan Said

You realize that the highest federal tax bracket is currently 35%? Obviously a federal sales tax wouldn't be 35%. It would be less than that.

Furthermore, rich people don't spend all their money the way poor people do. They invest it and save it. Thus the money saved and invested won't be subject to the sales tax the way it's currently subject to an income tax, further decreasing their tax burden.

Also, poor people currently pay zero tax. Many of them actually pay negative tax. A sales tax would subject almost every penny poor people earn to more tax than they pay now.

Yes jonnythan I realize everything that you just wrote and then some. There are arguments for both sides of this (as always). 35% is nice, but apparently not all rich people are paying that... some as low as 15%... or so I hear from Romney, Obama, Buffet, etc...

I don't find the arguments against it to be that compelling. Feel free to try to convince me.

In any case I have no problems paying taxes I view it as my duty as a citizen of the USA. Tax reform is needed. Our government needs revenue.

However, government spending reform is also needed...by both the "tax and spend liberals" and the "don't tax but spend conservatives".
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:08:15
@chaski Said

Yes jonnythan I realize everything that you just wrote and then some. There are arguments for both sides of this (as always). 35% is nice, but apparently not all rich people are paying that... some as low as 15%... or so I hear from Romney, Obama, Buffet, etc...

I don't find the arguments against it to be that compelling. Feel free to try to convince me.

In any case I have no problems paying taxes I view it as my duty as a citizen of the USA. Tax reform is needed. Our government needs revenue.

However, government spending reform is also needed...by both the "tax and spend liberals" and the "don't tax but spend conservatives".

I don't care if you find my arguments compelling.

It's a simple mathematical fact that a sales tax would increase the tax burden of the poor. Period.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:13:25
@jonnythan Said

I don't care if you find my arguments compelling.

It's a simple mathematical fact that a sales tax would increase the tax burden of the poor. Period.

I don't care if you don't care if I find your argument to not be compelling.

You say it is a simple mathematical fact. Maybe maybe not. I have read arguments on both sides and some that shoot down your math.

You seem to think that you know everything when you put someone's position down, but you seem a little light on putting up your own solutions. Lay out some mathematical equations Mr. Economics PHD.

Maybe you should join one of the political parties, run for office, put up your position and see if you get elected.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:15:44
@chaski Said

I don't care if you don't care if I find your argument to not be compelling.

You say it is a simple mathematical fact. Maybe maybe not. I have read arguments on both sides and some that shoot down your math.

You seem to think that you know everything when you put someone's position down, but you seem a little light on putting up your own solutions. Lay out some mathematical equations Mr. Economics PHD.

Maybe you should join one of the political parties, run for office, put up your position and see if you get elected.

...... I'm not even sure what to say to this.

A sales tax, unless it is 0%, will increase the tax burden on the poor. Almost half of the people in the United States pay zero (or very close to zero) federal income tax.

Assuming a federal sales tax would be more than zero - or you make a complicated tax law that exempts certain people from the sales tax - a federal sales tax would increase the amount of taxes the poor people pay.

Period, end of story. That's a simple fact and nothing you say can change it, no matter how much you try to make fun of me.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:20:01
There is also the idea of a rebate up to a certain amount being thrown around the sales tax idea, meaning the poor could still be paying zero percent, depending what that is set at.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#14New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:24:30
@chaski Said

but apparently not all rich people are paying that... some as low as 15%... or so I hear from Romney, Obama, Buffet, etc...

Do you know why this is? What drops someone from a 35% tax bracket to a 15%?

Can you list 10 reasons/things that can do that? Simply b****ing about because it 'seems' or 'appears' unfair isn't much of an argument, because I can list ten things and tell you exactly how and why it works and it's anyone can do it, not just the "rich". And to me, it's very fair.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Apr 18, 2012 @ 19:26:42
@Leon Said

There is also the idea of a rebate up to a certain amount being thrown around the sales tax idea, meaning the poor could still be paying zero percent, depending what that is set at.

.. Shifting the burden onto them to keep track of how much sales tax they pay in a year?

Great idea.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs