College Life

What should I get a degree in?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:34:50
I want to get a degree, and I'm at the stage of deciding what kind of career I want. I know this will take more thought than just a forum thread, but I thought I'd ask for some input anyway, lol.

I like working with a group of people to work on solving problems. The type of problem doesn't seem to really matter. I enjoy the collaborative brainstorming process. I enjoy the process of finding creative solutions to problems in a group setting.

I do not like repetitive work that involves no mental stimulation. I would lose my mind in a "rinse, lather, repeat" career.

I think psychology is interesting, but I don't think I would want to be a psychologist because peoples' self-defeating behaviors would frustrate me to no end.

I'm currently looking at either web programming, or marketing.

https://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/technology/bachelors/bsit-wd/v006.html

https://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs/arts-and-sciences/bachelors/bs-com-ms/v002.html

So what do you think of the two possibilities I'm looking at? Do you think they would be a good fit for what I'm looking for in a career? Any other suggestions are also welcome if you think they fit what I described above. Thanks!
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#2New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:38:09
Why not both?
Holyk On February 02, 2011

Clarksville, Tennessee
#3New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:40:32
-Agreed- Both would be cool. But I just suggest doing something you know can make you happy and isn't entirely hard to find a career in. :P
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#4New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:42:43
I have recruited for awhile, and I can tell you rarely do people land jobs in the field of study unless they do something very specific like a doctor or lawyer. Most employers just want to see that someone has a four year degree as that shows tenacity and commitment to task, and it shows they can 'think' well enough to get the degree (not that people w/out one can't, obviously since many many smart people do not have one, the degree is just proof for them on paper as they vet thru 100s of resumes).

That said, if you really don't know what you want to do yet specifically, yes a degree in marketing would be great. You can do a lot with a degree like that. If you are IT oriented, then web programmer is another good one, and its always in demand.

I Love psychology as well, and often I wish that I went for that vs my degree in business, but the degree in business has served me well enough. If you truly want to become a psychologist, however, then obviously you have to get the degree in that field. But it doesn't sound like that is your interest at this time.

Good luck no matter what you choose!!!!!
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#5New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:49:14
Teaching is a possibility. It is definitely not boring and monotonous, you are working with a group of people, coming up with ideas etc.

If you get on well with kiddies, teaching can be a fantastic job...
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:51:53
I could probably eventually do both, and they could actually work well together for having my own online business or something, though I don't think you really need degrees in either of those things to do that necessarily. But that is a possibility.

For the time being though I think I'll start with one thing, I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Each has pro's and con's.

Web development:
Pros:
+ I can use this either as an employee or for my own personal pursuits, like if I wanted to write apps or software to sell directly myself for instance.
+ It's something I can do either on my own or in a group, though I'm not sure how common web programming in a group is, does anyone know?
+ I already have a website that I run, I'm comfortable with the idea and practice of it.
+ -Big one- I can do web programming from anywhere in the world with internet access, which gives me a lot of personal freedom.

Cons:
- Web programmers are a dime a dozen, with a lot of them being in foreign countries that charge less than a living wage by US standards.

Marketing:
Pros:
+ Deals with psychology which I find interesting.
+ ALL businesses have to deal with marketing, so job security is good.
+ Very likely to be in a collaborative setting.
+ Can be applied to any business I may start up for myself in the future.

Cons:
- Not likely to have the ability to work outside of the office a lot. (I could be wrong about this, correct me if I am)
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#7New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 00:53:14
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Teaching is a possibility. It is definitely not boring and monotonous, you are working with a group of people, coming up with ideas etc.

If you get on well with kiddies, teaching can be a fantastic job...

I have all the patience in the world for my own kids. Not so much with other people's kids though.
LaBellaQuincey On December 27, 2011

Deleted

, Indiana
#8New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:04:58
If you want to have your own at home business, you don't need a degree. I do that and although I have a degree, it is in psychology and I'm pursuing my masters in speech-language pathology.. so its not really related. Most of the people who are with my company are stay at home moms who had no prior experience. My company provides training and support for all their consultants so that they can be successful.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#9New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:05:45
Another benefit of the marketing communication degree is that it also focuses on general communication skills and behavioral psychology, which is not only useful in a career, but personally as well.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#10New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:07:34
@Lili Said

Another benefit of the marketing communication degree is that it also focuses on general communication skills and behavioral psychology, which is not only useful in a career, but personally as well.

I agree.

I think the marketing degree will be very useful in many ways.

As the one poster above you said, sure many many jobs won't require a degree, I just got the feeling you wanted one for yourself personally as well as professionally. I think marketing is a good choice Lily.
just_A_gurl On July 26, 2010

Deleted

Anywhere happy, California
#11New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:13:59
I'd have to say the marketing. If you want the degree mostly for your career, web development isn't such a great meal ticket in the states anymore (as you've already pointed out.) Sure, marketing would be mostly office work, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the same thing every day, you'd have enough variety in your work to get past that. But I it sounds like you have this pretty well thought out and I think you already have the answer.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:14:20
It might be interesting to be a marketing consultant for small businesses. Like meet with them, evaluate their store layout, goals, etc, and come up with a plan.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#13New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:15:41
Going to a school that offers both web programming and marketing as majors, I can tell you that ALL careers involve being able to work in a group and creative solving skills. My career requires that most of all. Both career choices require a bit of psychology, since they are both trying to sell. Going by appearances, you look like you'd do well as a marketing major.
just_A_gurl On July 26, 2010

Deleted

Anywhere happy, California
#14New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:15:43
@Lili Said

It might be interesting to be a marketing consultant for small businesses. Like meet with them, evaluate their store layout, goals, etc, and come up with a plan.

And you're in the east bay, so you'll have a client when I'm ready to start my business
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#15New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 01:17:36
@just_A_gurl Said

I'd have to say the marketing. If you want the degree mostly for your career, web development isn't such a great meal ticket in the states anymore (as you've already pointed out.) Sure, marketing would be mostly office work, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the same thing every day, you'd have enough variety in your work to get past that. But I it sounds like you have this pretty well thought out and I think you already have the answer.

It does seem like I'm leaning in the direction of marketing. That actually sort of surprises me, because I started off thinking I'd probably end up leaning toward web development. But web developers are exceedingly common and cheap. I think the marketing degree would give me the best shot at a well-paid career, as well as personal development.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs