Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 01:21:25
In the Caucuses & Primaries

Will you vote for a Candidate because you believe he/she is the one that is the best?

Or

Will you vote for a Candidate because you believe he/she is the one that can beat the other political party's candidate?
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 01:38:32
@chaski Said

In the Caucuses & Primaries

Will you vote for a Candidate because you believe he/she is the one that is the best?

Or

Will you vote for a Candidate because you believe he/she is the one that can beat the other political party's candidate?

Mixed bag. I've done both. If the flow is right I will vote or caucus for the one representing my views most. If the outcome is pretty much decided I go with the one with the best chance that may represent my views less (often that is voting caucusing for one & then supporting the winner). I've even switched party affiliation & voted specifically against a person I felt was really bad news (used to be independent but decided not to have to go down & re-register for the primaries each time)
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 01:46:38
I'd think for the Dems, it would be voting for the best, because who know's who will be the GOP candidate.

For the GOPers, that is a big and legitimate question, and also to consider:
What if you absolutely do not want Trump to be the candidate, but you think Carson or Kasich is really the best? Are you in essence throwing your vote away if you vote for a low standing candidate, or should you vote AGAINST Trump and "For" his chief rival, which would be Cruz (assuming you don't despise him as well)
I almost feel sorry for GOPers

... wait a minute
No, I Don't ...
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 02:44:51
Good points, mrmhead. A quandary for sure.

I switched parties for the first time in my life several years back. For decades I always supported my party. But this particular time, none of candidates for my party represented what I understood/perceived to be the best for the whole.

Think about the pressure on those in Iowa right now.
It is as if (if history proves correct) the fate of the election rests in their hands right now.

@mrmhead Said

I'd think for the Dems, it would be voting for the best, because who know's who will be the GOP candidate.

For the GOPers, that is a big and legitimate question, and also to consider:
What if you absolutely do not want Trump to be the candidate, but you think Carson or Kasich is really the best? Are you in essence throwing your vote away if you vote for a low standing candidate, or should you vote AGAINST Trump and "For" his chief rival, which would be Cruz (assuming you don't despise him as well)
I almost feel sorry for GOPers

... wait a minute
No, I Don't ...
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 03:56:55
@DuLu Said

Good points, mrmhead. A quandary for sure.

I switched parties for the first time in my life several years back. For decades I always supported my party. But this particular time, none of candidates for my party represented what I understood/perceived to be the best for the whole.

Think about the pressure on those in Iowa right now.
It is as if (if history proves correct) the fate of the election rests in their hands right now.

Iowa has always taken this with the utmost respect & from generally educated decision. Something you don't normally get with just pulling a lever.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 03:58:00
The Iowa Caucus procedurally sounds like crazyballs!

I'm in a state that votes in June. So yeah, it's pretty much decided at that point.
I think we did Super Tuesday one year. but mostly it's pointless
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 04:05:34
i use vote for the candidate for the person not the party.

i know about enough the two parties that i really can't trust them either side. non being paranoid, because the party think of themselves, more than me. i am just person on a list of party members that i believe in.

sometimes in an election year. who do you trust more the government or your party. like most of us, probably don't trust either one of them.

as for your candidate, do you trust him or her to run this country? or voting for a candidate, you don't like other candidate. or voting that your are republican, you trust them more than the candidate?

when i do vote for someone. i like to believe in the candidate. that i am really vote for my party. it is like a double-sword scenario. you hope both of candidate and your party does screw you in the next four years.

realistic that you are get screw by your party, your candidate, and your government. i did right think i vote that what count on, i am american that what i suppose do. that suppose the right ting to do.

i feel i might be use the wrong term, what i am posting above. that voting is like " catch 22 ". in sense, of pros and cons of voting , or i shouldn't vote at all.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 04:25:07
@DiscordTiger Said

The Iowa Caucus procedurally sounds like crazyballs!

I'm in a state that votes in June. So yeah, it's pretty much decided at that point.
I think we did Super Tuesday one year. but mostly it's pointless

But that's what the electoral college is supposed to fix ...... they say......
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 04:28:18
@twilitezone911 Said

i use vote for the candidate for the person not the party.

i know about enough the two parties that i really can't trust them either side. non being paranoid, because the party think of themselves, more than me. i am just person on a list of party members that i believe in.

sometimes in an election year. who do you trust more the government or your party. like most of us, probably don't trust either one of them.

as for your candidate, do you trust him or her to run this country? or voting for a candidate, you don't like other candidate. or voting that your are republican, you trust them more than the candidate?

when i do vote for someone. i like to believe in the candidate. that i am really vote for my party. it is like a double-sword scenario. you hope both of candidate and your party does screw you in the next four years.

realistic that you are get screw by your party, your candidate, and your government. i did right think i vote that what count on, i am american that what i suppose do. that suppose the right ting to do.

i feel i might be use the wrong term, what i am posting above. that voting is like " catch 22 ". in sense, of pros and cons of voting , or i shouldn't vote at all.

I know the feelings.

Not voting would be very hard for me though.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!"
RUSH from Freewill
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#10New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 04:59:59
@shinobinoz Said

But that's what the electoral college is supposed to fix ...... they say......

the electoral college has no impact on the date of the primary election, nor was it ever intended to have anything to do with the primaries.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#11New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 05:22:00
I don't vote in primaries because I'm registered independent. If I chose to be a Democrat or Republican, I would absolutely vote for the person I liked the best in the primaries, and if they didn't win, I'd vote for the person I liked the best in the general election, regardless of political party.

I'm just happy that Trump lost, and very nearly came in third. Rubio and Cruz aren't much better, but at least the rest of the world won't think we're all completely insane if they get chosen.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 15:52:06
To answer my own question, as an independent in Florida I don't get to vote in Florida primaries, but if I could I would vote for the person I thought would make the best president.

But, as a Florida voter it wouldn't make much difference since we (as a state) typically don't really know who we elect as president anyway...

A_Martin15 On February 07, 2016

Peterborough, Canada
#13New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 16:20:02
I always vote for someone who's policies and opinions I agree with. I think that the point of voting is voting for someone that you agree with and believe will make the right decisions. If you vote for someone you don't really like, you just want to get rid of the other person, I don't really see the point because you will just be electing someone else that you don't really like.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 23:38:30
@DiscordTiger Said

the electoral college has no impact on the date of the primary election, nor was it ever intended to have anything to do with the primaries.

I was speaking to the disenfranchisement of size of the states. Since it is the electoral college & not the popular vote that selects the prez. The argument was always that this way the smallest states have as much of a chance to be the one to push the candidate over the threshold to win. I've never seen the logic in that, but that is one of the reasons supposedly for keeping the electoral college. I think it is high time to get rid of it myself.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Feb 02, 2016 @ 23:40:49
@chaski Said

To answer my own question, as an independent in Florida I don't get to vote in Florida primaries, but if I could I would vote for the person I thought would make the best president.

But, as a Florida voter it wouldn't make much difference since we (as a state) typically don't really know who we elect as president anyway...

We can declare affiliation & vote party for the primary but then have to go back downtown to change back to independent for the general. Are you able to do that?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs