The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

So I just went to vote in the primaries....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:06:16
I hope all of you here in the States have done so as well or are planning to...

Get out and VOTE when it's your turn.

Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:07:08
Who'd you vote for?

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:08:04
And by the time it reaches here, the nominee will pretty much be declared at the rate this is going.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:32:30
But this primary doesn't really count. It's the cacuas that counts (the one in march right). This is just symbolic voting.

Either way. Cool dude. Cooool!

Cause Missouri messed up when they tried to move the primary up and it ended up costing them millions to host it.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#5New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:34:05
In some ways the primaries are more important than the generals. The primaries determine who is going to be in the general election so it's important to vote in them. Unfortunately historically they have a pitiful turnout.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:40:07
Newt isn't even on the ballot. I think, this primary is just going to confuse people because they think they're truly voting now, when it's the one in march that will count.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:41:16
@boobagins Said

But this primary doesn't really count. It's the cacuas that counts (the one in march right). This is just symbolic voting.

Either way. Cool dude. Cooool!

Cause Missouri messed up when they tried to move the primary up and it ended up costing them millions to host it.

I thought primaries were voting for who goes on the ballot so you can vote for them.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:45:16
@someone_else Said

I thought primaries were voting for who goes on the ballot so you can vote for them.

No that is the caucus, where you pick your nominees. The primaries are basically "mock" elections where you pick who you really want as your candidate.

But Missouri messed up by moving their primaries up early. Newt didn't get to file his fees so he's not even on there.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#9New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:51:19
@boobagins Said

No that is the caucus, where you pick your nominees. The primaries are basically "mock" elections where you pick who you really want as your candidate.

But Missouri messed up by moving their primaries up early. Newt didn't get to file his fees so he's not even on there.

Okay, I was just looking up those two things "primaries" and "caucus" and they seem to be alternatives to each other.

"Primaries are common in the United States, where their origins are traced to the progressive movement. Primary elections are usually the responsibility of political party organizations themselves and not the government.
Other methods of selecting candidates include caucuses, conventions, and nomination meetings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

"In the state of Washington, the caucus has become controversial.[12] According to the Website for Washington Democrats, even though the Washington State Legislature decided the state would hold a primary, the Washington State Democratic Party decided to continue choosing its delegates through the traditional caucuses. As a result, votes for a Democratic candidate in the State Primary do not count toward delegate selection, although the state will spend $9 to $10 million on it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucus

From all that, I got that they're different methods of doing the same thing. Apparently you're only supposed to do one or the other.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 00:54:47
@someone_else Said

Okay, I was just looking up those two things "primaries" and "caucus" and they seem to be alternatives to each other.

"Primaries are common in the United States, where their origins are traced to the progressive movement. Primary elections are usually the responsibility of political party organizations themselves and not the government.
Other methods of selecting candidates include caucuses, conventions, and nomination meetings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

"In the state of Washington, the caucus has become controversial.[12] According to the Website for Washington Democrats, even though the Washington State Legislature decided the state would hold a primary, the Washington State Democratic Party decided to continue choosing its delegates through the traditional caucuses. As a result, votes for a Democratic candidate in the State Primary do not count toward delegate selection, although the state will spend $9 to $10 million on it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucus

From all that, I got that they're different methods of doing the same thing. Apparently you're only supposed to do one or the other.

Lol, I think you're right. Seems like an awful lot of money to waste if you're doing both.

Quote:
In presidential campaigns, a caucus is a system of local gatherings where voters decide which candidate to support and select delegates for nominating conventions. A primary is a statewide voting process in which voters cast secret ballots for their preferred candidates.

FULL ANSWER

Caucuses were once the most common way of choosing presidential nominees. Today, Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Wyoming and Iowa are the only states to rely solely on the caucus, according to the Federal Election Commission. The territories of American Samoa, Guam and the Virgin Islands use the caucus also. All other states and Puerto Rico use primary elections or a combination of the voting formats.

Caucus meetings are arranged by either the state or political party to take place at a certain place and time. Caucuses are unique in that they allow participants to openly show support for candidates. Voting is often done by raising hands or breaking into groups according to the candidate participants support. The results of the caucus are used to determine the delegates present at county, state and national nominating conventions of each political party. Most often, only registered voters can participate in a caucus, and they are limited to the caucus of the party with which they are affiliated.

Primaries are a direct, statewide process of selecting candidates and delegates. Similar to the general election process, primary voters cast secret ballots for the candidates of their choosing. The results are used to determine the configuration of delegates at the national convention of each party. Primaries come in two basic forms: In an open primary, all registered voters can vote for any candidate, regardless of their political affiliation. Registered Democrats may vote for a Republican candidate, and Republican voters may cast ballots for a Democrat, for instance. And registered Independents can participate in either party’s primary. But in a closed primary, voters may vote only for candidates of the party with which they are registered.

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/caucus-vs-primary/
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 03:49:27
If I could vote in a primary, I would.

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 03:53:05
I'm not Republican, so I shouldn't be allowed to vote in the California Republican primary.

But apparently I am. Which is ridiculous.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#13New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 03:59:22
@Leon Said

I'm not Republican, so I shouldn't be allowed to vote in the California Republican primary.

But apparently I am. Which is ridiculous.

Are they open to everyone, or just independents, third parties and undeclared?

My state is one of the closed ones, so you have to be a member of the party to vote in a primary.

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 04:02:25
@DiscordTiger Said

Are they open to everyone, or just independents, third parties and undeclared?

My state is one of the closed ones, so you have to be a member of the party to vote in a primary.

Yeah 2008 was the first year they opened it up to everyone. I was able to vote in both the Republican and Democratic primary.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 04:04:12
@Leon Said

Yeah 2008 was the first year they opened it up to everyone. I was able to vote in both the Republican and Democratic primary.

That's a good thing.

I think closed primaries are terrible. You end up with two guys that each most appeal to only a portion of the population. It makes a lot more sense to let everyone choose the party nominees.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs