AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:04:29
Consider the following statement:

"If someone does something bad they ought to be punished."

Is this statement a hypothetical or categorical imperative?

For those who don't know the difference, a hypothetical imperative says that you ought to do something in order to acheive a specific goal, eg. if you want a cup of tea, you ought to boil the kettle. A Categorical imperative says that you ought to do something regardless of any aims, desires or consequences that are involved, eg. you ought to tell the truth - some may consider this to be a "good" thing to do regardless of the circumstances. A more popular categorical imperative may be "you ought to treat your children well" or "you ought not to kill people".

So consider the original statement, and tell me whether you think it is a hypothetical imperative, i.e. punishing someone who does something bad is necessary in order to achieve a contingent goal such as rehabilitation, revenge or deterrence, or it is a categorical imperative, i.e. people who do bad things should be punished because it is simply the right thing to do regardless of contingent circumstances or goals.
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#2New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:19:33
Maybe it's a bit of both. I was thinking the other day about someone stealing food. Is it wrong if they are hungry and should they be punished? Although if someone were hungry and stole food and managed to get thrown into prison over it, they'd be fed.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:24:45
@Paradigm10 Said

Maybe it's a bit of both. I was thinking the other day about someone stealing food. Is it wrong if they are hungry and should they be punished? Although if someone were hungry and stole food and managed to get thrown into prison over it, they'd be fed.

A bit of both? A statement can't be partially a categorical imperative. If you are arguing that it is a categorical imperative, I would like to know who you substantiate that view. Is it possible for an action be right in every situation? What sort of actions are categorical imperatives? Why is punishment a logical ensuant of infraction?

Old Forge,
#4New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:27:24
Why can't it be partially a catagorical imperative?
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:33:14
@Paradigm10 Said

Why can't it be partially a catagorical imperative?

I don't see how a statement could partially be a categorical imperative. Either it is or it isn't; there's no in-between. If "you ought to punish infractors" is taken to be true in all circumstances, it is a categorical imperative. If it isn't true in every circumstance, it isn't a categorical imperative.

Old Forge,
#6New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:40:08
@buffalobill90 Said

I don't see how a statement could partially be a categorical imperative. Either it is or it isn't; there's no in-between. If "you ought to punish infractors" is taken to be true in all circumstances, it is a categorical imperative. If it isn't true in every circumstance, it isn't a categorical imperative.

Well maybe there is just no such thing as a categorical imperative then. I think that "you ought to punish infractors" is an ambiguous statement that doesn't give me a lot to work with. I could say that all child rapists ought to be punished because I'm talking about something specific.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:41:07
@Paradigm10 Said

Well maybe there is just no such thing as a categorical imperative then. I think that "you ought to punish infractors" is an ambiguous statement that doesn't give me a lot to work with. I could say that all child rapists ought to be punished because I'm talking about something specific.

Okay. So why ought all child rapists to be punished?
Salutations75 On November 24, 2009

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#8New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:41:21
The nature of punishment should be decided by each individual society and the citizens must not consider themselves exempt merely because they disagree. If one disagrees then one is free to leave.

For one society it may be justice for a person to be rehabilitated with cake and fruit. For another society it may be justice for a person to suffer for their wrongdoing and thus be discouraged from the action again in the future.

I see the benefits of both, so ultimately each society must decide what principles it will base the nature of punishment upon.

God's justice is "eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth"

Old Forge,
#9New Post! Nov 11, 2009 @ 02:43:57
@buffalobill90 Said

Okay. So why ought all child rapists to be punished?

Do I dare answer your question with another question? Why wouldn't you punish them?