The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Q & A

Taking a debate out of a tribute thread,,,

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
Do you feel/express sadness when a famous person like an entertainer dies,even though the only connection to them is as a fan ?
Yes
NO
I don't care.
View Results
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:30:12
When someone famous dies young , is it annoying when members of the general public express sadness or sympathy or condolences .

If you do get feel annoyed , do you tell them things like ' with all the starving kids in the world it turns my stomach to see or hear people go on and on about some celebrity death , why doesn't anyone care about the children ?

Or are you one of the general public that's feels the sad at the untimely end to a great career and talent and do you express that sadness ?
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:33:44
Yes, I feel sadness at a life cut short, if you're referring to Whitney Houston and the other celebs who died too young. But I don't try to tell others what to say or how to feel, if THAT'S what you're driving at in this thread....
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#3New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:34:11
No.

next question.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:35:18
There should be a somewhat option, as depending on the celebrity and if I have a connection with their films, music etc then I would be somewhat sad, not to an extent where I would break down and bawl my eyes out but there would be a moment of silence and such.
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#5New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:35:58
@Wellard Said

No.

next question.

Is your avvy single?????

Sorry, sorry, trying desperately to stay on topic......
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#6New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:38:50
@BozieFozie Said

Is your avvy single?????

Sorry, sorry, trying desperately to stay on topic......

Possibly? you'll have to go down to the gastroenterology ward and ask him
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:38:50
I think any death is sad, no matter who it is. Caring about the death of one person compared to thousands doesn't show that you don't care about the others, just that you've got a bond with that particular person and are sad to see them die.

I know that when Morrissey dies I'm going to be very upset as I'm rather attached to his music and his persona as shown by the media. That doesn't mean I don't care about famine or war and it doesn't mean that I'll conveniently forget about he bad things he did in his life as they are part of what made him who he was.

There's no limit to how many people you can be concerned about, but it's healthier psychologically if we're selective with it.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:39:07
Usually I feel sad for the families, especially as the whole thing is so public. Sure the person wanted fame but the family may not appreciate it.

Sometimes I think people do feel a bit annoyed that a celeb dies and gets so much attention yet people die every day and nobody seems to care.

I remember when my father died being angry that people still went to work and people still went dancing and people still argued about what to watch on TV - didn't they know it was the end of my world at that time?

Sometimes when a famous person dies people feel really upset and they dont even know why particularly. Perhaps it is because that famous person had some sort of attachment, a similar disease they overcome, a song they sung, being a mother, being a father, being someone who was always on TV during happier times... I dont know but we are empathatic and sympathetic animals when something is bought to our attention.

If we worried about all the death and disease in the world we would surely go mad.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:42:52
@BozieFozie Said

Yes, I feel sadness at a life cut short, if you're referring to Whitney Houston and the other celebs who died too young. But I don't try to tell others what to say or how to feel, if THAT'S what you're driving at in this thread....

There have been more then a few famous people pass away over the years,
Two that come to mind would be
Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston,

I'm not driving at anything, there was a debate started in a tribute thread and a mod suggested it be moved to it's own tread. So i opened a debate thread on the topic.
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#10New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:44:42
@white_swan53 Said

There have been more then a few famous people pass away over the years,
Two that come to mind would be
Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston,

I'm not driving at anything, there was a debate started in a tribute thread and a mod suggested it be moved to it's own tread. So i opened a debate thread on the topic.

yes excellent!

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:50:08
I thought about a 4Th option , but by the time I had a question to cover all 4 it was about a mile long . o i chopped off the 4Th and more then half the a question, and added the "even if the only connection you had was as a fan."

@Rehabilitation_Please Said

There should be a somewhat option, as depending on the celebrity and if I have a connection with their films, music etc then I would be somewhat sad, not to an extent where I would break down and bawl my eyes out but there would be a moment of silence and such.

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:51:59
@Wellard Said

No.

next question.

Mmmmmm , who's your favorite entertainer ?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:52:22
Not particularly. I was a little saddened at Amy Winehouse's death. I sang tributes for her and for Etta James. If the likes of Bob Dylan or Eric Clapton died I'd care a lot more as I'm a huge fan and have very happy memories of listening to their music and going to their concerts.

I just find it really weird how people talk about them as if they knew them. Saying what a lovely person Whitney Houston was, etc. - sorry but you didn't know her personally!

And the people who talk about what a shame her drug addiction was would probably be the first to condemn Average Joe for taking crack.

I am just not one for very public outpourings of grief - it almost becomes a competition - who is the most grief-stricken over a celebrity's death? I just find it a bit silly.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:52:23
@white_swan53 Said

I thought about a 4Th option , but by the time I had a question to cover all 4 it was about a mile long . o i chopped off the 4Th and more then half the a question, and added the "even if the only connection you had was as a fan."

There should of been a fifth option really that being "I shall only be upset on the day Rehabilitation_Please passes away, because he is so awesome and I cannot live without his existence"
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 12, 2012 @ 17:54:31
@x_Laura_x Said

I am just not one for very public outpourings of grief - it almost becomes a competition - who is the most grief-stricken over a celebrity's death? I just find it a bit silly.

Yeah this annoys me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs