Forums:
Politics

Tainted Made-in-China things

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 03, 2007 @ 04:18:53
reading your post that was so beautifully wrote,i now feel the same way as you,we have a friend who goes to china at least twice a year and spends a couple of months at a time, but he has never said anything about there politics or anything.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#3New Post! Jun 03, 2007 @ 05:23:51
I think international reactions to these incidents will have an effect. After all, if we won't buy their products because of too many "incidents", then they can't screw over the whole world, just themselves. And that in turn will lead to a generational backlash as the younger generation has to be the guinea pigs of corporate greed. The next generation will probably be a lot more ethical. Society is dynamic, and this cultural revolution is somewhat new to them. They are evolving, and that process is never pure and sweet.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#4New Post! Jun 21, 2007 @ 12:07:38
Okay... more atrocities

Check this out => Link [NY Times]

Kerosene in a googly-eye toy, lead paint on toy trains.

This will affect children! If the eye toy breaks, there's volatile kerosene spilt. If the baby decides to 'taste' the toy train, the lead may damage the baby's brain.

They don't care! Profit above everything else?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Jun 21, 2007 @ 17:33:51
China is really developing a bad reputation lately. It'll come back and kick 'em in the butt eventually.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Jun 21, 2007 @ 17:40:18
There are a lot of fake goods that make it onto the markets here. I have seen fake washing powder in boxes identical to the major brands and the product inside looked and smelt very similar but the product was serious sub standard.
The fake cigarettes that make it onto the market said to be real killers and have much higher content of dangerous chemicals but not all the goods have come just from China. There are many countries that have a flourishing black market in counterfeit goods.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#7New Post! Jul 09, 2007 @ 03:33:36
Latest story now is that they have found shoddy and/or bogus materials in their MagLev train. Over a few hundred kilometres of it! Link [Globe and Mail]

Now, a MagLev train blasts through the countryside at about 350km/h (that's about 220mph). Imagine it fails somewhere, and you get a giant flying metallic tube blasting through the air at about 300km/h.

Scary thought.
imb4u2 On May 23, 2008

Hamilton, Canada
#8New Post! Jul 11, 2007 @ 20:40:05
I see they executed their minister of Food & Drugs today.
Now THAT'S what I call accountability in politics.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#9New Post! Jul 12, 2007 @ 10:44:46
Yeah. The guy caused the deaths of hundreds.

But things haven't gotten any better. This was just in the news.. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry about this

Eatery closed for selling cardboard-stuffed buns
By Alice Gu

BEIJING authorities yesterday closed a dim-sum restaurant that sold steamed cardboard-stuffed buns, Beijing Times reported today.

The cardboard was a substitute for pork. The restaurant owner fled and is wanted for questioning.

The raid came after the restaurant in Beijing's Chaoyang District was reviewed by a local TV station a few days earlier.

The stuffing of the bun was made of cardboard and pork fat, said the TV program.

The recipe went like this: Cardboard was soaked in water and an industrial-use caustic soda, a poisonous chemical, was added. The cardboard lost its normal color and became fragile under the soda's strong causticity, making it look more like pork. Finally, pork-smell essence and pork fat were stirred into the concoction to make the stuffing more "vivid."

"It may save me almost 1,000 yuan (US$132.14) a day," said the shop owner, according to the program.

It was unclear how long the restaurant was serving the cardboard-filled dumplings.

The buns were prepared at a kitchen in nearby Taiyanggong Village to avoid people finding out. Officials with the Zuojiazhuang Industrial and Commercial Administration closed down the prep kitchen yesterday.

The prep-kitchen's landlord is being questioned, said the Beijing Times report.

Chaoyang District's Industrial and Commercial Administration said it will inspect the district's 58 dim-sum restaurants soon.

Pork prices in 36 major cities nationwide continued to rise last month due to a supply shortage.

Pig leg was sold at 19.56 yuan per kilogram on average in June, jumping 12.3 percent from May, and continuing April's upward trend, according to the National Development and Reform Commission.

(source: Shanghai Daily )
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 12, 2007 @ 10:57:19
surely it is desperate measures they must be under tremendous pressure to keep the produce at an all time low in cost and manufacture. I read somewhere, cant remember where, that economic crashes are basically because of companies promising to make a product at a cut price and eventually they cannot maintain this, they will then be cut out by a newer company who can undercut them until that company crashes and so on.

Its sad that this will and does cost lives
bigpete On April 20, 2008

Cardiff, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 12, 2007 @ 11:01:01
When anything grows to quickly it won't give itself time to grow a stable foundation.

China will probably crumble a little but then re-invent itself.

We will go buying the products because they are cheap.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#12New Post! Jul 13, 2007 @ 15:46:32
Follow up on the latest "Cardboard in buns" story, an official in China was muttering that it was all a "Western conspiracy against China"

Thing is, this story was broken by Beijing News

With the upcoming Olympics, I wonder how they are going to clean up their act within a year. There already is so much fear that people are looking at the labels, not buying anything with "China" on it.

Even that may not be good enough as there were reports of counterfeiters in China labelling their stuff with "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in Hong Kong" labels.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs