Study: Whites see "black" as opposed to "African American" more negatively

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 20:59:07
"These differences in language can seem abstract, but researchers say they can have serious effects on public opinion and individuals.

For one, it could impact a person's chances of gaining employment. If someone submits a résumé in which he describes himself as black instead of African American, the research suggests that it could raise bad connotations — potentially reducing the chances of getting hired.

The difference in language could impact criminal justice system, where racial disparities are already a problem. Researchers pointed out that presenting a defendant as black instead of African American could, based on the studies' results, affect how a jury perceives the evidence presented to it and ultimately reaches a decision."

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/2/7480843/study-african-american-black
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:15:13
@shinobinoz Said

"These differences in language can seem abstract, but researchers say they can have serious effects on public opinion and individuals.

For one, it could impact a person's chances of gaining employment. If someone submits a résumé in which he describes himself as black instead of African American, the research suggests that it could raise bad connotations — potentially reducing the chances of getting hired.

The difference in language could impact criminal justice system, where racial disparities are already a problem. Researchers pointed out that presenting a defendant as black instead of African American could, based on the studies' results, affect how a jury perceives the evidence presented to it and ultimately reaches a decision."

https://www.vox.com/2015/1/2/7480843/study-african-american-black

A rose by any other name...
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#3New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:49:46
Why should black people in the US (assuming they hold an American nationality) be referred to as anything other than American? You don't see people calling white Americans European American.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:59:38
maybe on paper, it's look better have ' african american '. when you read that ' duh, ' he or she is black. the question which better on paper to present as the ' individual ' or the ' race '. the employer hiring your race or you? on trail, your lawyer is represent you, not your race. i have tried last year, when i refer articles or something and talking to someone who is black or a couple of blacks on the bus , in my apartment building, or in general. i am try be to political correct, i am use ' african american ' describe something in a article or the news. before i can't too far into it. the person or persons will stop me, and ask, ' why are said ' african americans ', we like to be call ' blacks '. i explained to them, i was try to be politic correction. they said just call us' black '. almost like i insulted them, and then i respected them, i rephrased it, said ' this is black man etc,etc. '. then they appreciated more than what i am said. maybe on paper, they should stay the word ' black '. being white as i am, on paper. i would refer to be call ' white ' than ' caucasian '.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#5New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 22:43:25
Black,African American or whatever...it's up to the employer if he feels like viewing and scheduling a interview.
However it can be a detriment to the person applying for the position...sort of a warning.
Is it a right to know for the employer ?
You bet.
We all there are ways in getting around the block.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Jan 02, 2015 @ 23:24:05
I'm so glad we only went one day into the new year before we were allowed to forget racist and bigoted opinions and actions still exist.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 00:42:54
@DiscordTiger Said

I'm so glad we only went one day into the new year before we were allowed to forget racist and bigoted opinions and actions still exist.

Don't forget sexism, toots!

#8New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:20:40
@galasTAray Said

Why should black people in the US (assuming they hold an American nationality) be referred to as anything other than American? You don't see people calling white Americans European American.

The term African American is cumbersome and when it is necessary to differentiate between races, I use the word black. Technically, in order to be correct, the term should be Sub-Saharan African American.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:25:03
@Erimitus Said

A rose by any other name...

Some have thorns.....
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:26:00
@galasTAray Said

Seems it does make a difference though, ennit?
chaski On about 5 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:26:47
@Erimitus Said

....Sub-Saharan African American.

Unless they are Haitian.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:27:28
@PTF Said

Black,African American or whatever...it's up to the employer if he feels like viewing and scheduling a interview.
However it can be a detriment to the person applying for the position...sort of a warning.
Is it a right to know for the employer ?
You bet.
We all there are ways in getting around the block.

What is a warning for the employer?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:28:07
@DiscordTiger Said

Sorry!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:30:31
@Erimitus Said

The term African American is cumbersome and when it is necessary to differentiate between races, I use the word black. Technically, in order to be correct, the term should be Sub-Saharan African American.

Blood Diamond. If both of these blokes moved to the usa would they not both be African American?

#15New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:33:18
@shinobinoz Said

Some have thorns.....

<chuckle>
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs