The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should Politicians be more honest and accountable for their actions?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ahab On October 16, 2007

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:12:36
Hi everyone,

I found out recently that there isn't a law to prosecute politicians who knowingly deceive the public. In my mind this amounts to a fundamental gap in our constitution (UK). My concerns were further exacerbated by the Elizabeth Filkin affair, in which she was hounded out of her position as Commissioner for Parliamentary Standards after she rubbed up a few important parliamentary figures the wrong way with her investigations. Thoughts?
Danger_Mouse On June 29, 2017

Christchurch, New Zealand
#2New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:19:48
I think that any politician is duty bound to do whatever he/she says they will to get elected. It annoys me so much (to the point of not voting) when general elections come around as they promise so much then continue down the same road as the previous government with little regard for their promises before they were elected.

However I dont agree with people digging through their histories. An MP recently was taken over hot coals for smoking cannabis at University. I dont see how this has any influence on the person that she is now!
vavoom On December 01, 2011

Beirut, Lebanon
#3New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:43:21
Honesty is not part of politics. It will never be.
tia On October 06, 2009

Birmingham, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:44:09
yes there just like sooooo stupid and anyway what the point of them all they do is ruin the country
Danger_Mouse On June 29, 2017

Christchurch, New Zealand
#5New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:48:14
@vavoom Said
Honesty is not part of politics. It will never be.

But I think the question was should it be?

@tia Said
yes there just like sooooo stupid and anyway what the point of them all they do is ruin the country

vavoom On December 01, 2011

Beirut, Lebanon
#6New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 11:57:40
@danger_mouse Said
But I think the question was should it be?

Of course it should. In a utopian world it might, but with what we're seeing around, honest
politicians are considered dumb and not efficient.

... at least in this part of the world. Honest politicians are usually assassinated. If you want to
have a clear conscience, stay out of politics.
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 13:08:35
believe me 'honesty is not the best policy'.
the public don't appreciate honesty, they want politicians who can keep up the 'spin' - 'brown to clamp down on immigration numbers', 'suspected terrorists to be held for indefinite periods' - it keeps us happy and stops us from bringing up the most important issues like education and the NHS.
the public cries out for sensationalist headlines and media sound-bites so why moan, we get what we ask for.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#8New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:24:44
its hard to rally against the s*** they sell when so many people are out buying it.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#9New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:29:59
Maybe a few of those lie detector sets should be used on all politicians.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:34:15
If politicians were totally honest, you'd move to Montana and become a freeman.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#11New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:36:43
@jonnythan Said
If politicians were totally honest, you'd move to Montana and become a freeman.

If only that joke worked in the UK.. Wonder if Doug can translate..
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:37:01
At a superficial level, one could say that politicians should be bound by law to make good on campaign promises. I've often thought this myself.

But then I got to thinking about the consequences of this. Circumstances change over time. A politician promising to cut taxes by 10% over the next 3 years could be faced with unprecedented natural disasters resulting in severe budget shortages from relief work. Would they still be forced to make good on that promise, and further plunge the country into debt? If an exception would be made, by whom would it be made? The people? Congress? Now your expanding government - something that most of us disagree with since it costs tax dollars.

Is this the reason for all broken campaign promises? Changing circumstances? Undoubtedly not, some politicians are lying weasles all the time, and all politicians are lying weasles at least some of the time. But if you can't differentiate willfully broken promises from evolving policies due to an evolving landscape, then you can't legally enforce promises made.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:41:28
I think that anyone in a position of power and accountable to masses of people necessarily lies on a regular basis simply to be able to perform their job.

The vast majority of people have no interest in and would be horrified at the realities of what people in power do.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#14New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:41:28
@stumblinthrulife Said
At a superficial level, one could say that politicians should be bound by law to make good on campaign promises. I've often thought this myself.

But then I got to thinking about the consequences of this. Circumstances change over time. A politician promising to cut taxes by 10% over the next 3 years could be faced with unprecedented natural disasters resulting in severe budget shortages from relief work. Would they still be forced to make good on that promise, and further plunge the country into debt? If an exception would be made, by whom would it be made? The people? Congress? Now your expanding government - something that most of us disagree with since it costs tax dollars.

Is this the reason for all broken campaign promises? Changing circumstances? Undoubtedly not, some politicians are lying weasels all the time, and all politicians are lying weasels at least some of the time. But if you can't differentiate willfully broken promises from evolving policies due to an evolving landscape, then you can't legally enforce promises made.

i think it basically boils down to the general populace not being interested in politics.
i think you can promise the world with no real consequences cause most people don't even know 2 years down the line whether its been fulfilled or not.

the only time it comes up is when the opposition make a point of it,
which just leads to more promises being made to fix it.

...hence the terrible state of the irish health and education system.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 14:47:16
@jonnythan Said
I think that anyone in a position of power and accountable to masses of people necessarily lies on a regular basis simply to be able to perform their job.

The vast majority of people have no interest in and would be horrified at the realities of what people in power do.

I think this is a good point. Some of the things necessary in positions of power are undoubtedly horrid. But you can't let those things be known, since the people not in office can say with impunity that they wouldn't do those things since they can't get pulled up on it since they're not in office. Hence everyone believes that it's only the incumbant party that does these things.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs