UK Elections & Politics

Should MP's Have Other Jobs?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:34:13
Should MP's sit in parliament with being a member of parliament their only job, and therefore their interests being completely in the political world, running the country and representing their constituency.

Or should they have jobs in the 'real world' as well, outside of the Westminster bubble where they interact with real people and experience real working conditions?

Thoughts?
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#2New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:38:28
I think they should work in jobs related to their portfolio for awhile. I would love to see a politician work in a school as a teacher for 6 months, and then they might be qualified to make decisions about education.

But, in general, yes, I think they should work outside of parliament. A lot of them do work before becoming pollies, but, at least here in Aus, they are usually bloody lawyers, doctors, union officials etc. They have NFI how normal people live.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#3New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:47:33
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I think they should work in jobs related to their portfolio for awhile. I would love to see a politician work in a school as a teacher for 6 months, and then they might be qualified to make decisions about education.

But, in general, yes, I think they should work outside of parliament. A lot of them do work before becoming pollies, but, at least here in Aus, they are usually bloody lawyers, doctors, union officials etc. They have NFI how normal people live.

I'm kind of unsure on the issue. On the one hand I want them to have experience, on the other I want their main focus to be on running the country and doing best for the constituents.

Ideally I'd have them work in a specific field before getting into politics, which a lot do. My issue is with people who go to uni, get a degree in Politics, shadow and MP for a number of years before a constituency opens up, which they run for, they then win and in their entire career they have moved from School, to Uni, to politics and haven't experienced work and society out of those bubbles.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#4New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 12:01:50
@jmo Said

I'm kind of unsure on the issue. On the one hand I want them to have experience, on the other I want their main focus to be on running the country and doing best for the constituents.

Ideally I'd have them work in a specific field before getting into politics, which a lot do. My issue is with people who go to uni, get a degree in Politics, shadow and MP for a number of years before a constituency opens up, which they run for, they then win and in their entire career they have moved from School, to Uni, to politics and haven't experienced work and society out of those bubbles.

I agree with you. The same criticism can be levelled at many teachers too. From school to uni to school, makes for a very sheltered kind of person. I am not sure that it could be legislated that politicians have to work in the 'real world' but it would be nice if it could.

As to you wanting pollies to devote their time to serving the constituents - I honestly think they would do better by spending 6 months working a low paying job, than 6 years in parliament, cabinet meetings, business lunches and whatever else they get up to.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#5New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 12:03:00
Or just take the Australian route and put former rock musicians in the cabinet.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 12:05:37
I'm not sure. I think there should be a period before becoming a proper MP where they actually work in a job that allows them to involve themselves in the real world and their local area. I know they do that as part of their job as an MP but obviously they get a different insight into the area as normal people do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs