The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Should I take the Job? School or Work Experience?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
beautifulbutterfly On March 12, 2012

Calgary, Canada
#1New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 04:12:52
I have the opportunity to work in my field. It's excellent pay and excellent benefits. I did my summer internship with them and now I've been asked if I want to take the full time permanent position. This job is exactly what I want to be doing after I graduate.

However, I still have 2 years of school left. I could take the job and go to school part time but that would postpone my education and limit the types of classes that I could take. I probably wouldn't graduate for another 3 years or more.

Or

I could turn down the job and try to find part time work and take on school full time. This option would mean that I would graduate sooner but have no money and probably a really lame part time job. But I could leave this city faster and eventually find work in my field.

What should I do?
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#2New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 04:16:21
the first choice...if this is the job you always wanted and enjoy doing then why not just do it. If for some reason you change your mind down the road you could always go back to school but I wouldn't let this amazing opportunity pass, you don't always need college to succeed
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 04:16:32
@beautifulbutterfly Said

I have the opportunity to work in my field. It's excellent pay and excellent benefits. I did my summer internship with them and now I've been asked if I want to take the full time permanent position. This job is exactly what I want to be doing after I graduate.

However, I still have 2 years of school left. I could take the job and go to school part time but that would postpone my education and limit the types of classes that I could take. I probably wouldn't graduate for another 3 years or more.

Or

I could turn down the job and try to find part time work and take on school full time. This option would mean that I would graduate sooner but have no money and probably a really lame part time job. But I could leave this city faster and eventually find work in my field.

What should I do?

If it is a job that is in high demand for workers and can be found everywhere, then I would stay in school. The pay would be better afterwards anyways.

However, if it is a job that is scarce or there is a surplus of people going into the field, then take the job and go to school part time or a later time.
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#4New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 05:18:39
It's easy for people like us tosay pick this or that,but it should be you who choses because at the end of the day it won't be any of us living with the choice.I just think you should really think about whats better for you in the long run.I wish you good luck.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#5New Post! Aug 09, 2011 @ 05:45:29
@beautifulbutterfly Said

Or

What should I do?

Work experience is better. You said, "This job is exactly what I want to be doing after I graduate" so why do you need more education? Your statement contradicts itself.

J.R.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs