Forums:
College Life

Paying for College

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
kwyser On February 06, 2010

Broomfield, Colorado
#1New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 16:55:56
Paying for college can be really hard, and a lot of people don't know where to get money for college, I pay less than $700 a year for my college and the normal cost is over $17,000.

So I though I would make a post and give anyone who wasn't quite sure where to find money to pay for college some tips.

The best place to go is fastweb.com. They have a ton of scholarships and internship opportunites and other information on universities.

I would also definitely fill out the FAFSA because that is where I got most of my financial aid. This is really going to help the people who don't have a ton of money already to pay for college, so if your rich sorry, but this sin't going to help you a whole lot. You can get to the FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov.

Another great thing I would do is if you are stil in gigh school talk to your counselor, or if you are in college talk to your adviser. They know the answer to most of your questions and if they don't they can tell you where to get the answer.

So hopefully you can use these to find some more money to pay for college. You can also visit Cheap College Now , that is a great site to get some info.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 17:13:28
For the love of BOB, fill out your FAFSA early, its accepted all the time, but they start allocating money in March. Fill it out, even you don't think you need it or will get anything, you never know. If you might want a job on campus, and the FAFSA is the only way to qualify for work study programs.

If you wait too long, it may be gone. (of course individual policies vary by school, on how exactly they allocate, but most adhere to an early deadline.)
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#3New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 18:03:37
Sorry to say this but F*** paying for college. Seriously. Only way to go is join a branch of the military (Air Force, Coast Guard, Army, Marines, Navy), do the 4 years, get out and have them pay for everything. I've been out of college for 10 years and i still have a hefty $25,000 left in student loans. Don't think that bankruptcy will help you either, of all the debt that can be "forgiven", college loans won't be and post bankruptcy, the amount you paid before will be the same amount you pay after. No, i've never filed for bankruptcy, i've just spent a lot of time reading the fine print on the loan paperwork looking for loopholes. There are none.
kwyser On February 06, 2010

Broomfield, Colorado
#4New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 20:02:33
yeah that is the point of looking for scholarships and government aid with FAFSA, because you don't have to pay it back.

Of all that financial aid I have, none of it is loans. The $684 is all I have to pay for my freshman year of college.

You don't have to join the military.
beatboxer On March 25, 2010

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 20:07:26
I would just go to College in Scotland. Where the Government pay for your College.

Oh wait, I did go to College in Scotland. And then I got expelled and charged with vandalism!

OOps!!
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Aug 02, 2009 @ 03:57:34
@aceuvclubs Said

Sorry to say this but F*** paying for college. Seriously. Only way to go is join a branch of the military (Air Force, Coast Guard, Army, Marines, Navy), do the 4 years, get out and have them pay for everything. I've been out of college for 10 years and i still have a hefty $25,000 left in student loans. Don't think that bankruptcy will help you either, of all the debt that can be "forgiven", college loans won't be and post bankruptcy, the amount you paid before will be the same amount you pay after. No, i've never filed for bankruptcy, i've just spent a lot of time reading the fine print on the loan paperwork looking for loopholes. There are none.

No what he said is actually true.

I have gone through four years of college, got my bachelors and haven't had to pay a dime out of my pocket or my parents pocket. In fact I usually got an extra $500 a semester over that served as pocket money.

I did it all through FASFA and scholarships. And I landed a job that will pay for my masters...so even with that, i wont' have to pay anything.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#7New Post! Aug 02, 2009 @ 10:16:46
@kwyser Said

yeah that is the point of looking for scholarships and government aid with FAFSA, because you don't have to pay it back.

Of all that financial aid I have, none of it is loans. The $684 is all I have to pay for my freshman year of college.

You don't have to join the military.

@boobagins Said

No what he said is actually true.

I have gone through four years of college, got my bachelors and haven't had to pay a dime out of my pocket or my parents pocket. In fact I usually got an extra $500 a semester over that served as pocket money.

I did it all through FASFA and scholarships. And I landed a job that will pay for my masters...so even with that, i wont' have to pay anything.

You know the bull---- thing about FAFSA, yeah, i had to list my parents income, and combined they made a killing so not only could i not land a job on campus to help pay for school, they wouldn't give me any "free" aid. The scholarships i had only paid for a few expenses, laptop + books. Not really understanding the parent income crap because they never paid for any part of my college. Just because someones parents have a good income, doesn't mean they're paying for their kids college.
DarkMatter On November 28, 2009

, Canada
#8New Post! Aug 28, 2009 @ 01:23:25
The tuition prices for colleges/universities in the United States is shocking compared to what I have to pay here. My first year at univeristy and it would cost me about $4000 give or take a few hundred including books. Though entrance scholarships and IB diploma scholarships are saving me a lot of money.
This site here: https://studentawards.com/ has a lot of scholarships on it too. I am not sure what countries it works in, but I know it works for Canadians. Thought I would just add it on here since most of this topic is for Americans :P
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs