Society & Lifestyles

Parents & "the talk"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
rocket325 On August 07, 2015

Northwest, Connecticut
#1New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 19:30:42
For the teens on here, how did your parents handle(or not), the talk about alcohol and drugs?
When I see the TV ads telling us "all you have to do is tell your children, drugs are bad, or drinking is dangerous", I want to barf.
Do these "just say no " campaigns really believe it's that simple?
Information is helpful, but peer pressure and curiosity are strong influences.
What can parents do(if anything)to help?
heltha_rox_on On November 22, 2006

Alston, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 19:41:08
My parents have never given me an anti drugs and drinking talk. If they had I would probs have tried both!
billybobkins On January 03, 2012

newcastle, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 19:54:44
They say if I want to do drugs then I can, but take a look around, and see who's doing them...'Losers'
and My dad wants me to drink more, so when i go out when im older i want end up getting off my face, and attacked...but my mum isnt to keen on the idea of me drinking,
misunderstood On June 24, 2014
Persuasive Madam!

How about you come find me....
#4New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 20:19:54
My parents let me drink well under age, on the theory that I would be more sensible when I hit 18.... and I guess it worked

I know my limits and I would never drink to the point of putting myself in danger They never gave me a 'talk' on drink or drugs, or sex for that matter

But it didn't do me any harm... they know if they tell me to do something I do the opposite... can't be proved wrong see... I'm so stubborn
chickinblack On December 19, 2007

Roach, Missouri
#5New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 20:32:23
i never had that talk. I saw one of those commercials with my mom one time. She thought it was stupid and laughed. While laughing she told me not to drink or do drugs, just to see if it worked. I don't do drugs or (a lot) of drinking.
There's also that commercial about the girl that's lazy and boring because she's been doing drugs. I know tons of people who do drugs, and they are far from boring.
matthemod On December 10, 2012

Banned

Gillingham, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 20:42:54
It depends on the person (the child's) attitude and their personality.

My parents never gave me the talk but i've been mature (perhaps too mature) enough to know my limits and what can happen. Parental guidance can only go so far, the kids really should find out themselves what the causes are and what can happen.
paperdoll On December 11, 2006

Brown swivel chair, United Kin
#7New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:15:18
My parents never had the 'talk' with me, so I wouldn't know.

I will give you one thought on it though: of all my friends, the ones with the healthiest attitude to drugs and alcohol were the ones whose parents had allowed (or even encouraged) them to drink or smoke pot from their early teens.

I guess where the theory fails...
thegorillas On November 10, 2006

Deleted

United States
#8New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:16:30
Didn't have THE talk. My dad told my mom he knows everything he needs to and that was that. And really I did know everything.
noshingnell On December 29, 2012

LaaLaa Land, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:38:03
I never really had a talk on it.

My mother let me drink at home from way before I could in the pub, and it did mean that I got less pissed than some of my mates when I was with them. I suppose drinking with your parents before your mates does mean that you have a much better idea of your limits and when you should stop.
ann On May 16, 2007

Deleted

london, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 21:41:25
It's very simple, I listen to what my parents say and not argue because most of the darn time they're so right. Besides why would you want to drink and take drugs, thats just sooooo! bad.
rocket325 On August 07, 2015

Northwest, Connecticut
#11New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 23:46:28
Thanks for the info everybody

90% of us can drink safely and will do so with or without parents consent or knowledge.
I wish they would use the money spent on the dopey ads for treatment
8)
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#12New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 23:50:06
I honestly don't remember what my parents said about drugs and alcohol, but it must have worked because I've never tried any kind of drug and I hardly ever drink that much
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 00:09:03
My mother pretty said "do what you want. If you want to destroy your brain, take drugs. You want to stuff up your lungs - smoke, I won't stop you. You want to have sex? Great, but I'm not bringing the child up - it'll be your responsibility if you're stupid."

I've never so much as had a drag on a cigarette, and never taken drugs. I held off on sex longer than most people. I have drank to excess though, and that's the one thing that my mother tried to limit. A psychology lesson in there perhaps?
fddlstx On April 02, 2015

Emerald City, United States (g
#14New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:46:15
Well, we'd be sitting around watching TV, and a commercial would come on for "Just Say No!" or something, and my dad turned to me and would say something like, "Don't f*ckin' do drugs; you're not some n*gger b*tch."
He's a real nice guy, my dad, see.
I had friends who messed themselves up on drugs; I already knew w/o daddy's great words of wisdom not to take that s***.
seekurbliss On January 22, 2007

Memphis, Tennessee
#15New Post! Apr 13, 2006 @ 15:53:50
I have always informed my kids of the facts as i know them and let them make their own decisions on things in life. I also never did what i see lots of parents do- i never have forgotten how it is being their age & i don't pretend that i was a "saint" at their age either.

I REALLY hate dishonest parents.

I've done a pretty damn good job too- they're adjusting to "adult" life well.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs