Religion & Philosophy

New Heaven & Earth

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 01:32:47
Kind of going along with the hell topic, but, at the same time, going beyond it further, hence the new thread...

Here is a question for you Christians...

After all is said and done, and judgement day, hell, and the establishment of the new heaven and earth has all taken place...

Why is it that man will no longer be able to fall? Will he lose his free will?

And if it, indeed, will be impossible in the new kingdom to fall, why was it possible in the beginning? What is to say that whatever triggered this possiblity cannot be triggered later?

Yet another thing that really doesn't make sense, if you really think about it. To me anyways.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#2New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 01:37:02
Excellent question, but unfortunately, one that I don't feel qualified to answer.
I really haven't given it much thought.
drbeaucroft On January 17, 2013

Banned

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 01:47:04
The bible doesnt mention free will, on the contrary it says that God is sovereign (completely in control).

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.

If the 'christians' had it there way, they would have most of the planet in hell. Thank God, He is love.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 03:20:13
If god doesn't give man free will, then you run into a lot of theological problems, namely faulting god for sin.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#5New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 03:27:11
There is a lot of gray area, think no one will dispute you about that. And you will probably never get the answers you are striving for. But if you believe, you believe. For many, at many times - that's enough. No one is forcing anyone else to believe or convert. If you believe, you believe. It's there for me. But I don't have the answers to answer your questions, debate. Let go, and let God -- and then you will learn firsthand - He will answer all your questions, in His way, in His time. Sorry, He doesn't work according to our schedule.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 11:54:39
@DuLu Said
No one is forcing anyone else to believe or convert. If you believe, you believe.

Children are forced to believe.

@DuLu Said

But I don't have the answers to answer your questions, debate. Let go, and let God -- and then you will learn firsthand - He will answer all your questions, in His way, in His time. Sorry, He doesn't work according to our schedule.

Are you really satisfied with this solution to all of the theological contradictions and hiccups in your religion? To just say "we can't understand God"? In the end, all you have done is relegate God to the gaps in your knowledge. God ends up being an embodiment of your ignorance, a dump for all of the things you don't get.

I think it's a shame when people give up challenging themselves and resort to wilful inconsistency.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 13:49:38
@Leon Said

Kind of going along with the hell topic, but, at the same time, going beyond it further, hence the new thread...

Here is a question for you Christians...

After all is said and done, and judgement day, hell, and the establishment of the new heaven and earth has all taken place...

Why is it that man will no longer be able to fall? Will he lose his free will?

And if it, indeed, will be impossible in the new kingdome to fall, why was it possible in the beginning? What is to say that whatever triggered this possiblity cannot be triggered later?

Yet another thing that really doesn't make sense, if you really think about it. To me anyways.

Not particularly a "you Christian".... ........yet you pose relevant questions.

Here is a little passage from the pen of Thomas Merton, a Catholic monk, who also liked a beer or two at times....

The mere ability to choose between good and evil is the lowest limit of freedom, and the only thing that is free about it is the fact that we can still choose good.

To the extent that you are free to choose evil, you are not free. An evil choice destroys freedom.

We can never choose evil as evil: only as an apparent good. But when we decide to do something that seems to us to be good when it is not really so, we are doing something that we do not really want to do, and therefore we are not really free.

Perfect spiritual freedom is a total inability to make any evil choice. When everything you desire is truly good and every choice not only aspires to that good but attains it, then you are free because you do everything that you want, every act of your will ends in perfect fulfillment.

Freedom therefore does not consist in an equal balance between good and evil choices but in the perfect love and acceptance of what is really good and the perfect hatred and rejection of what is evil, so that everything you do is good and makes you happy, and you refuse and deny and ignore every possibility that might lead to unhappiness and self-deception and grief. Only the man who has rejected all evil so completely that he is unable to desire it at all, is truly free. God, in whom there is absolutely no shadow or possibility of evil or of sin, is infinitely free. In fact, he is Freedom.

from "New Seeds of Contemplation"

Anyway, the implication would seem to be that we achieve true freedom at the moment we actually lose free will.

Why could we not be created this way? Because from God's side He would know we were robots.

Why, having reached this state can we not fall again as we did before? Aye, a good one!

St Augustine, one of the great Christian thinkers, when contemplating the "fall", came to the conclusion that some of the created angels were given less natural grace than others, this to offer some reason why perfectly good beings should have fallen in the first place. Augustine saw himself the impossibility of the "choosing" of evil ex-nihilo, and needed to find/offer some sort of explanation.

Other Christian Fathers, often of the Eastern Orthodox side of things, suggest that in a certain sense the "fall" was not so much a rebellion, more a necessary step for "created" beings. "O felix culpa!" or "O fortunate fault that merited so great a Redeemer!"

(Which suggests a line from a song sung by the great Jerry Lee Lewis on his "Last Man Standing" album....

"From the rocking of the cradle
To the rolling of the hearse.
The going up
Was worth the coming down" )

So, anyway, the answer to the conundrum you have set would seem to be that the "fall" must needs have happened once (and did so by Divine fiat) - given the wish to share the infinite freedom of Divinity with created beings - yet need not and will not happen again.

Whether or not any of that makes sense I have no idea. For myself, the main challenge to any faith that the Ultimate Reality is Love remains the existence, and the sheer extent, of suffering. Arguments about free will are, at least for me, in comparison, petty quibbles.

Just to finish, a few lines to contemplate and ponder....

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
(T.S.Eliot)

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 17:18:07
Thanks for a great post. It gave me some things to think about, particularly the ideas of true freedom from the above philosophers. Of course, it still doesn't address why the whole she-bang cannot happen again, but the additional idea that it only needs to happen once to eliminate it from happening again is something to think about.

Someone else also suggested that, in a "new heavenly body", the desire to chose evil (or, in the mindset of the above, the inability to choose good) becomes non-existant.

Of course, this is all just us trying to grasp an understanding of what we probably were not meant to ever fully be able to understand.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 18:59:47
I generally find anything "new" and improved is overrated.

Besides whats gonna happen to the people in old heaven and hell?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#10New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 19:18:31
@treebee Said

I generally find anything "new" and improved is overrated.

Besides whats gonna happen to the people in old heaven and hell?

They'd go to the 'new' heaven and hell (BTW, he said 'earth' not 'hell'). It'd be like...living in a temporary house until your new house is built.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#11New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 19:22:14
God will answer all your questions when the time is right.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 19:48:43
@Leon Said

Of course, this is all just us trying to grasp an understanding of what we probably were not meant to ever fully be able to understand.

Like you, its all "something to think about", but I don't "believe it" as such. I've waffled on elsewhere about a "way of unknowing" where the idea is more a resting in the mystery than an attempt to explain, even to fully understand.

Not so much because ultimately the "truth" is a set thing that CAN be understood/explained, but in the sense that "truth" is a living reality, pure freedom, that can be experienced/lived, but not "thought" (put into words)

Anyway, perhaps enough.....

arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#13New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 21:35:24
@Leon Said

If god doesn't give man free will, then you run into a lot of theological problems, namely faulting god for sin.

Exactly.

No one should be faulted for sin.

Sin is valuable and necessary.

I think the whole thing with sin in the bible was put in there to control people.

How can anyone know what evil is without sin existing?

Imagine how naive we would be if we never had any direct or indirect experience with bad stuff?
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#14New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 21:36:45
Yet god act like sin was something unexpected in the bible.

A monkey wrench in his well oiled machine if you will.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#15New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 02:37:32
@buffalobill90 Said

Children are forced to believe.
I never felt I was! I never believed in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or even Santa --- though my parents would rather that I did believe. There are contradictions and hiccups in all aspects of our lives, not just religion. Hell is too hot for me. I don't have to prove it, I just know it -- works for me. How is that not being challenged? Quite the opposite for real --- to go around questioning everything, every lil thing said or done or known to mankind -- when does it stop? There are times for this, times to challenge each other and our minds, but NOT all the time. Not everyONE, ALL the time. Not each and every little THING, ALL THE TIME. Debate and challenging discussions are well and good, but sometimes it's time to ACT based on what you know --- until you learn to your satisfication that it isn't so. And until that happens, ACT, and quit second guessing yourself and everyone else at the same time. Sometimes, a person just needs to relax, breathe, commune with nature, snuggle with your sweetie, your children, or your furbaby, whatever -- let the hiccups and contradictions in our life take a back burner for a few seconds, or an hour, or even a whole day. B.R.E.A.T.H.E.

"God is an embodiment of my ignorance?" I don't think so. Don't even go there. Research all the answers, look around - proof of God is all around.

"I think it's a shame when people give up challenging themselves and resort to wilful inconsistency." -- I can and do challenge the status quo of all aspects of life, and can be as stubborn, insulting, or as much as a broken record on any subject ... as anyone else ...
Sometimes, though I just sit back and B.R.E.A.T.H.E. and let my actions speak louder and much better then any words/posts would.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs