NYPD's 'stop-and-frisk' practice unconstitutional, judge rules

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 01:37:14
U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin called it "indirect racial profiling" because it targeted racially defined groups, resulting in the disproportionate and discriminatory stopping of tens of thousands of blacks and Hispanics while the city's highest officials "turned a blind eye," she said.
https://news.yahoo.com/judge-rules-york-polices-stop-frisk-tactics-unconstitutional-133928592.html
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#2New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 02:53:19
start the "search a whitey" campaign.
then for every white , you get to search one of each other race.

then no white crime slips through.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 03:46:08
@Willi Said

start the "search a whitey" campaign.
then for every white , you get to search one of each other race.

then no white crime slips through.

Well until the numbers reflect that- we may have to have a two for one!!!
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 03:53:27
I agree that the policy seems to be contrary to 4th amendment rights. It may be leading to racial profiling, but can that be said with certainty with the information available?

Is there any mention anywhere else of the demographics in the areas where the large numbers of minorities have been stopped? If a neighborhood is 85% black and 85% of the people stopped under the policy are also black, that's just statistics.

I admit I don't have all the info...does anyone?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 04:07:55
@Eaglebauer Said

I agree that the policy seems to be contrary to 4th amendment rights. It may be leading to racial profiling, but can that be said with certainty with the information available?

Is there any mention anywhere else of the demographics in the areas where the large numbers of minorities have been stopped? If a neighborhood is 85% black and 85% of the people stopped under the policy are also black, that's just statistics.

I admit I don't have all the info...does anyone?

This has some info from 2011:
https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_releases_stop_frisk_data_whf644ouNc8P7dP8u7NPcJ
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 04:10:53
@shinobinoz Said

This has some info from 2011:
https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_releases_stop_frisk_data_whf644ouNc8P7dP8u7NPcJ

Thanks.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 04:14:55
From that link:
As has been reported, the statistics show that overall, nearly 90 percent of those targeted by NYPD stop-and-frisks in the city in 2011 were either black or Hispanic.

Blacks and Hispanics together make up less than 53 percent of the city’s population.

A total of 685,724 people — 8.6 percent of the city’s population — were detained by cops for “reasonable suspicion.”

Of that number, 9 percent were white, and 4 percent Asian, the figures showed.

Did not find anything on the demographics by precinct though.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 04:44:26
@shinobinoz Said

From that link:
As has been reported, the statistics show that overall, nearly 90 percent of those targeted by NYPD stop-and-frisks in the city in 2011 were either black or Hispanic.

Blacks and Hispanics together make up less than 53 percent of the city’s population.

A total of 685,724 people — 8.6 percent of the city’s population — were detained by cops for “reasonable suspicion.”

Of that number, 9 percent were white, and 4 percent Asian, the figures showed.

Did not find anything on the demographics by precinct though.

It's hard to really extrapolate from the numbers sometimes but I am sure it is a real problem.

My dad was a police chief for many years and was unpopular with a lot of people because he publicly acknowledged that racial profiling was an issue in the law enforcement world, and had zero tolerance for it. He actually spoke about it once on the BET network as the president of the IACP. I consider myself fortunate to have inherited a lot of my attitudes about racial issues from him.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#9New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:09:37
@Eaglebauer Said

It's hard to really extrapolate from the numbers sometimes but I am sure it is a real problem.

My dad was a police chief for many years and was unpopular with a lot of people because he publicly acknowledged that racial profiling was an issue in the law enforcement world, and had zero tolerance for it. He actually spoke about it once on the BET network as the president of the IACP. I consider myself fortunate to have inherited a lot of my attitudes about racial issues from him.

did he share how he thought it came to be?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#10New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:15:30
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:21:34
@chaski Said

if a yellow chick has done the crime.

do red cars speed more, or just more noticed?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:36:30
@Willi Said

if a yellow chick has done the crime.

But, did the yellow chick do the crime?

@Willi Said

do red cars speed more, or just more noticed?

Neither. Red Cars don't speed.

The driver's of red cars might speed more than drivers of other colored cars, but that is probably a myth invented by someone.

I've often heard it said, It’s common knowledge that red cars tend to get pulled over more—the bright color makes it much more obvious when they’re shooting like a speeding bullet down the freeway, or at least that’s the theory.

BUT, I have yet to hear of or see a study that supports it.

The idea that police would purposefully ignore their speed radars to target red cars, seems pretty ridiculous.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#13New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 17:58:32
@chaski Said

But, did the yellow chick do the crime?

it is what the skunk reported.

Quote:

Neither. Red Cars don't speed.

Quote:

The driver's of red cars might speed more than drivers of other colored cars, but that is probably a myth invented by someone.

I've often heard it said, It’s common knowledge that red cars tend to get pulled over more—the bright color makes it much more obvious when they’re shooting like a speeding bullet down the freeway, or at least that’s the theory.

BUT, I have yet to hear of or see a study that supports it.

The idea that police would purposefully ignore their speed radars to target red cars, seems pretty ridiculous.

i tend to think driver's of red cars might speed more.
i had a red car
many sports cars come in red.
one only in red.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#14New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 18:03:27
FERRARI F40 .
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#15New Post! Aug 13, 2013 @ 18:20:54
To make sure I understand correctly, in New York city anyone walking down the street can randomly be stopped and searched by the police? With no probable grounds.

I come out of a shop after buying a dress and some NYPD officer tells me to stop walking and he is going to frisk me?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs