Missouri riots 2014

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Aug 16, 2014 @ 21:36:05
Most people watching the national news for the last week or so have a general idea of what's going on in my part of the country right now. The riots haven't spread to my neighborhood but have affected areas where I work and some of the cities I service. There has been looting and disturbances in some areas that I handle and I have spent most of the past week at work, and the rest of that time has been spent trying to sleep.

First off, the news media is not my friend. They have regularly misinformed and twisted a lot of what's been happening which makes things worse for everyone involved. This morning I took several calls on 911 lines from people in the richer communities I serve who were incensed at the fact that they were seeing people looting stores on live television and demanded to know why the police were doing nothing about it. Short of the fact that such complaints are not what 911 is in place for, these people were upwards of 35 miles from the rioting and didn't seem to grasp that their local police departments were not in charge or involved in the incident other than through the designation of some of their officers to respond to the area and assist.

The other, larger problem is that the news channels broadcasting these images had reporters on site claiming that the looting was continuing and that police were doing nothing to stop it, and that store owners were being forced to guard their own businesses because the police "refused" to get involved. One reporter interviewed a local resident who said that obviously the police "wanted the looting to happen" because they stopped doing anything about it.

What the media is failing to explain is that Jay Nixon, our Missouri governor, ordered the police to stand down and pull back. They aren't refusing anything, they are being told directly to withdraw and remove their involvement.

This entire incident, to be sure, is an embarrassment to the law enforcement community that I am a part of in this area.

I have said since this began that I cannot imagine how the officer who shot Michael Brown was justified in using deadly force. He was unarmed. He was several feet from the officer when the fatal shot was fired, and as far as I know he wasn't running. There was a struggle in the police car, and a shot was fired in the vehicle. I would be less suspicious if Brown had been shot in the vehicle at point blank range, because the possibility would be there that a struggle was taking place over the officer's weapon. But he wasn't. He was shot in the street at several feet unarmed, and there is no way I can imagine that deadly force should have been used.

After the riots started, the county police called out a code 2000, which means every department within about a 50 mile radius is requested to send up to five police officers to assist to restore order. That first night, there were minial injuries but substantial damages to businesses, several of which were gutted and a few of which were burned to the ground. The people who did this were not interested in Michael Brown and it had nothing to do with him or his family, who I cannot help but to feel sorry for.

The next day, Nixon offered to call in the national guard but the county executive requested not to. Shortly after that, the state police took over and tried a less invasive approach, removing gas masks and armor and actually marching alongside some of the peaceful protesters. Then night fell and the rioting became worse with people being shot by other citizens, further looting, more destruction of property, and overall unrest between the police and the public. Most recently, the governor as I said issued the order to stand down and more or less just establish a perimeter and let the area destroy itself.

The individuals looting and destroying, burning and harming and killing are without a doubt in the wrong and do not have interest in peace or real protest. That being said, I think a large portion of the blame for things going as far south as they have lies with the way the incident has been mismanaged by authorities, the failure to establish a clear and constant chain of command (because control of the scene keeps being shifted), and a lack of protocol for ground officers during the uglier periods of the riot.

There are two distinct groups of citizens involved in this whole thing, which a lot of the media has failed to recognize. There are the protestors who appear during the day and speak their minds and opinions, and the looters who come at night and largely are not from the neighborhoods they are destroying and do not have any agenda regarding the police involved shooting that sparked this whole thing.

Those protestors in my opinion have valid arguments and opinions but they are being obliterated under the violence of selfish individuals who are using the initial incident as an excuse to rob, assault, and destroy the property of their fellow citizens. And the police, as much as I advocate for them, have been horribly mismanaged and have had terrible leadership through this.

I have said it already and I will say it again. This makes me very desperately sad. I am sad for the community. I am sad for the protesters who are not having their voices heard. I am sad for Michael Brown's family. I am sad for the police officers who are trying to do good but are doing it alongside officers who aren't and who are in the field with no strong command to look to.

This whole thing is just terribly sad.

And I am so tired.

So. Very. Tired.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Aug 16, 2014 @ 22:06:57
Sadly our media (once upon a time the news and the facts), prefers to sensationalize every situation, speculate (without facts) on every situation, and (essentially) pit people against each other.

Equally sad, people seem to thrive on the sensational and prefer to line up and pick sides... with little or no facts.

By the time the real facts have come to light, people will have already pick their side and will cling to it with a vengeance and without regard for the facts of the situation.... or (perhaps worse) will have moved on to the next situation that the media will be speculating about.
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Aug 16, 2014 @ 22:50:35
@Eaglebauer Said

First off, the news media is not my friend. They have regularly misinformed and twisted a lot of what's been happening which makes things worse for everyone involved.

Imagine so.

Thanks for doing what you do.

Better days dispatch.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! Aug 16, 2014 @ 23:05:41
@Eaglebauer Said

fire needs fuel.
humans are great at this stuff.
makes me sad to be human.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 00:59:06
eagle - it is a sad about michael johnson. i lived in centreal west end. i know that problem is get worst for better. until the people make believe something is justice been done to find the peace, they are looking for. it very dangerous, it spread all throgh the city of st. louis, and beyond. it could a ' rodney king ' situation. nobody is safe to be on th street night or day. police can't involve without a crime happening,. that i know of, that this sad in case. most of people are lootering and doing wrong, they are doing it attention only. yo stop something this big, you need one
person can, but one voive with voices, said, ' no! ' i watching news last couple of nights, read some articles about this. it is sad the kids and the parents who live on the streets near by. they can't sleep at all, because of all the moise where everything is on. until the trail is over, with officer. hopefully, there a trail. until justice is serve, no peace will happen. i hope i am wrong. i hope human compassion easy the pain that everybody feel now.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 01:49:40
Thank you for the insight into the situation. I've stopped looking for any actual facts in the media, and as Chaski pointed out, everyone I hear talking about it in person has picked a side and is vehemently adhering to it. The whole situation is sad, and at this point I'm not sure there is a positive resolution possible.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 02:01:04
@alk1975 Said

Thank you for the insight into the situation. I've stopped looking for any actual facts in the media, and as Chaski pointed out, everyone I hear talking about it in person has picked a side and is vehemently adhering to it. The whole situation is sad, and at this point I'm not sure there is a positive resolution possible.

I agree completely and I hate that I have to.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 02:10:26
So no good sex taking place in Missouri then I assume.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#9New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 02:43:50
@Electric_Banana Said

So no good sex taking place in Missouri then I assume.

There's always good sex taking place. Just probably not in Ferguson. Unless that's part of the riots too. Public sex without much risk of arrest because the police are otherwise occupied. But that topic kind of takes away from the solemn topic in the op doesn't it?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 03:08:15
When I saw people complaining about the police not doing anything about the looting, my reaction was You Can't Have It Both Ways!
If they were to move in, it would cause more accusations of "Heavy Handed" and Violating Rights. And as... EDIT: Found his name: "State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, in charge of security for the town, " ... He said they lost some meat, they lost some liquor, which can be replaced. But they didn't lose any lives.

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 03:24:26
@alk1975 Said

But that topic kind of takes away from the solemn topic in the op doesn't it?

Well...you know me birthed into a world for no other reason than to watch people pound their hands with hammers crying out "Why does my hand always hurt?" to only then cry out that I'm not a 'Team Player' and how never overcoming a Bad Case of the Mondays has discarded all self confidence and turned me toxic when I offer suggestions.

Here's another suggestion for deaf ears:

Rather it religion, politicians or just selfish folks in general there's always been this smug innuendo in the air about how those of us who won't subscribe to others' clubhouses have been 'Left in the dark.'

So all the lies, deceptions, head games, be it for control or cannibalization, has left everyone in a world of no trust.

And with no trust no one cares to stop, hear out others, rationalize or cooperate.

Hence these riots taking so long to get under control.

"White Lies" and all.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 03:37:28
@Electric_Banana Said

Well...you know me birthed into a world for no other reason than to watch people pound their hands with hammers crying out "Why does my hand always hurt?" to only then cry out that I'm not a 'Team Player' and how never overcoming a Bad Case of the Mondays has discarded all self confidence and turned me toxic when I offer suggestions.

Here's another suggestion for deaf ears:

Rather it religion, politicians or just selfish folks in general there's always been this smug innuendo in the air about how those of us who won't subscribe to others' clubhouses have been 'Left in the dark.'

So all the lies, deceptions, head games, be it for control or cannibalization, has left everyone in a world of no trust.

And with no trust no one cares to stop, hear out others, rationalize or cooperate.

Hence these riots taking so long to get under control.

"White Lies" and all.

Please stop. Just...stop.

This has nothing to do with this thread and you're derailing it.

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 03:43:15
@Eaglebauer Said

Please stop. Just...stop.

This has nothing to do with this thread and you're derailing it.

Very well. But it has a lot to do with similar problems up ahead over the next decade.

Can't fix the status quo; just experience it and shake our heads disappointingly.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 11:32:51
@Eaglebauer Said

Most people watching the national news for the last week or so have a general idea of what's going on in my part of the country right now. The riots haven't spread to my neighborhood but have affected areas where I work and some of the cities I service. There has been looting and disturbances in some areas that I handle and I have spent about 80-85% of the past week either at work or on call, and the rest of that time has been spent trying to sleep.

First off, the news media is not my friend. They have regularly misinformed and twisted a lot of what's been happening which makes things worse for everyone involved. This morning I took several calls on 911 lines from people in the richer communities I serve who were incensed at the fact that they were seeing people looting stores on live television and demanded to know why the police were doing nothing about it. Short of the fact that such complaints are not what 911 is in place for, these people were upwards of 35 miles from the rioting and didn't seem to grasp that their local police departments were not in charge or involved in the incident other than through the designation of some of their officers to respond to the area and assist.

The other, larger problem is that the news channels broadcasting these images had reporters on site claiming that the looting was continuing and that police were doing nothing to stop it, and that store owners were being forced to guard their own businesses because the police "refused" to get involved. One reporter interviewed a local resident who said that obviously the police "wanted the looting to happen" because they stopped doing anything about it.

What the media is failing to explain is that Jay Nixon, our Missouri governor, ordered the police to stand down and pull back. They aren't refusing anything, they are being told directly to withdraw and remove their involvement.

This entire incident, to be sure, is an embarrassment to the law enforcement community that I am a part of in this area.

I have said since this began that I cannot imagine how the officer who shot Michael Brown was justified in using deadly force. He was unarmed. He was several feet from the officer when the fatal shot was fired, and as far as I know he wasn't running. There was a struggle in the police car, and a shot was fired in the vehicle. I would be less suspicious if Brown had been shot in the vehicle at point blank range, because the possibility would be there that a struggle was taking place over the officer's weapon. But he wasn't. He was shot in the street at several feet unarmed, and there is no way I can imagine that deadly force should have been used.

After the riots started, the county police called out a code 2000, which means every department within about a 50 mile radius is requested to send up to five police officers to assist to restore order. That first night, there were minial injuries but substantial damages to businesses, several of which were gutted and a few of which were burned to the ground. The people who did this were not interested in Michael Brown and it had nothing to do with him or his family, who I cannot help but to feel sorry for.

The next day, Nixon offered to call in the national guard but the county executive requested not to. Shortly after that, the state police took over and tried a less invasive approach, removing gas masks and armor and actually marching alongside some of the peaceful protesters. Then night fell and the rioting became worse with people being shot by other citizens, further looting, more destruction of property, and overall unrest between the police and the public. Most recently, the governor as I said issued the order to stand down and more or less just establish a perimeter and let the area destroy itself.

The individuals looting and destroying, burning and harming and killing are without a doubt in the wrong and do not have interest in peace or real protest. That being said, I think a large portion of the blame for things going as far south as they have lies with the way the incident has been mismanaged by authorities, the failure to establish a clear and constant chain of command (because control of the scene keeps being shifted), and a lack of protocol for ground officers during the uglier periods of the riot.

There are two distinct groups of citizens involved in this whole thing, which a lot of the media has failed to recognize. There are the protestors who appear during the day and speak their minds and opinions, and the looters who come at night and largely are not from the neighborhoods they are destroying and do not have any agenda regarding the police involved shooting that sparked this whole thing.

Those protestors in my opinion have valid arguments and opinions but they are being obliterated under the violence of selfish individuals who are using the initial incident as an excuse to rob, assault, and destroy the property of their fellow citizens. And the police, as much as I advocate for them, have been horribly mismanaged and have had terrible leadership through this.

I have said it already and I will say it again. This makes me very desperately sad. I am sad for the community. I am sad for the protesters who are not having their voices heard. I am sad for Michael Brown's family. I am sad for the police officers who are trying to do good but are doing it alongside officers who aren't and who are in the field with no strong command to look to.

And I am so tired.

So. Very. Tired.

this is an extremely intelligent, heartfelt message..i know you're a supporter of the police , yet even you criticize the bad elements that can cause so much trouble for the decent cops and the wider community... and I respect you for posting it.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Aug 17, 2014 @ 15:03:57
I think both Eaglebauer, his Sheriff there, & President Obama have been "Spot on" with their observations/actions!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs