Police Officer shot dead in Northern Ireland

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 08:37:58
History was made yesterday because of these murders.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7934894.stm

I have never seen such unity, people of Ireland know the only way to bring peace is through negotiation and that is all they want, no more blood on hands.

Those men did not die in vain, they changed history.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 12:49:56
The balance of peace in Northern Ireland has been quite fragile for some time, and the reason it has held this long has been because the people have worked with the police in keeping a lid on dissident activity.

The key here, is that stability and prevention of terrorism has been a police matter.

About ten days ago, it became known that the British Government had decided to send intelligence operatives, drawn from the special forces, back into Northern Ireland to carry out undercover operations on suspect organisations. It is very likely that these shootings are a response to that.

When you send soldiers into Northern Ireland, it inflames the situation. To the dissidents, it can appear that matters are being escalated from a matter of policing, to a military operation, hence a paramilitary response.

Since the shootings, the decision to send in special forces personnnel has been quietly allowed to die down and for all we know, may have been dropped altogether.

The solution now, to this matter is to return control of anti-terrorist operations to the Police Service for Northern Ireland and let them get on with it. They're doing a pretty good job.

Jennifer
mark66 On August 21, 2011

belfast, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 13:58:00
@Jennifer1984 Said

The balance of peace in Northern Ireland has been quite fragile for some time, and the reason it has held this long has been because the people have worked with the police in keeping a lid on dissident activity.

The key here, is that stability and prevention of terrorism has been a police matter.

About ten days ago, it became known that the British Government had decided to send intelligence operatives, drawn from the special forces, back into Northern Ireland to carry out undercover operations on suspect organisations. It is very likely that these shootings are a response to that.

When you send soldiers into Northern Ireland, it inflames the situation. To the dissidents, it can appear that matters are being escalated from a matter of policing, to a military operation, hence a paramilitary response.

Since the shootings, the decision to send in special forces personnnel has been quietly allowed to die down and for all we know, may have been dropped altogether.

The solution now, to this matter is to return control of anti-terrorist operations to the Police Service for Northern Ireland and let them get on with it. They're doing a pretty good job.

Jennifer

i,m afraid jennifer some of the points you have made are not quite accurate, the reconisence teams requested by the police are already here, and have been for some time, plus the killings would have been planned long in advance of any knowledge the terrorists had of special support units being here . you are right about the fact that it hasnt been mentioned much since that it because people now relise it a unfortunate necessity in the current climate, but hopefully this wont last and i for one dont think it will the psni have alredy made arrests over the constables shamefull murder.
PaulWain On May 28, 2009

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 14:36:13
I was brought up near Newry which is a wee 'village' some of you may have heard of ? My eyes leaked when I was told by friends there that the armoured landrovers are back on the streets.
Just assuring Mark and everyone that from what I have heard from friends and family there in Ireland, the peace process will continue.
There are small groups (less than 70) in each of 4 >>> Absolute Nutcases who are out to destroy what has been designed by the lovely Irish people.
To fire upon un armed people is despicable. Plus ! to fire on your own flag that you have been brought up under,,,, is beyond contempt.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#20New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:02:55
We stood shoulder to shoulder in total silence
Thousands standing to protest this insanity
Words worthless, they never listen to reason
Faces around me aged and strained
Faces that have witnessed hell on earth
Faces not prepared to see that hell return
Faces screaming their silent protest
Faces of our children spared the torment
Bury your weapons and not more bodies
Bury your hatred and trust the people
Learn to live and love and grow old in peace
Learn to be at peace with yourself
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#21New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:22:37
its terrible you see the difference in the community since these attacks my dad works in a mixed work place of protestants and catloic and they all get on really well but this week the catloics all stayed at 1 side and the protestants at the other we reallly dnt want to go back to this.

i just wish people would get over the past. and let this violence end once and for all
PaulWain On May 28, 2009

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:45:39
@chef_mia Said

its terrible you see the difference in the community since these attacks my dad works in a mixed work place of protestants and catloic and they all get on really well but this week the catloics all stayed at 1 side and the protestants at the other we reallly dnt want to go back to this.

i just wish people would get over the past. and let this violence end once and for all

To the wee girl from the walled city of Derry.

Darlin' all that started long before your time. Some of us were there and if it's in our power We will not let let it happen again.
Everyone has got to make this effort ! Insist to yer Dar that he talks to the catholics and protestants. We are people and not crackpots who go out shooting unarmed guys.
To see armoured cars return to the streets make my stomach churn over. My own kids don't even know about the troubles and that is the way it should be.
The Irish are strong and will sort this out themselves.
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#23New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:59:30
@PaulWain Said

To the wee girl from the walled city of Derry.

Darlin' all that started long before your time. Some of us were there and if it's in our power We will not let let it happen again.
Everyone has got to make this effort ! Insist to yer Dar that he talks to the catholics and protestants. We are people and not crackpots who go out shooting unarmed guys.
To see armoured cars return to the streets make my stomach churn over. My own kids don't even know about the troubles and that is the way it should be.
The Irish are strong and will sort this out themselves.

i may be young and not lived through it all but when uv lost two uncles 3 cousins and a good friend due to the troubles u no enough about them to be scared to tears of what may happen if ppl dont sort this out.

i hope your right i really do
radicolpotato On September 14, 2018

magna,
#24New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 19:04:55
dead piggy
PaulWain On May 28, 2009

, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 19:22:05
@radicolpotato Said

dead piggy

Sad Bastard.

magna,
#26New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 22:02:34
@PaulWain Said

Sad Bastard.

this is funny because you made an accurate statement about me
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#27New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 22:36:04
@radicolpotato Said

this is funny because you made an accurate statement about me

Are you always this immature or is this an example of your ultra stupidity?

This is deadly serious topic and there's no place for taking the piss.

magna,
#28New Post! Mar 12, 2009 @ 04:32:37
@charles Said

Are you always this immature or is this an example of your ultra stupidity?

This is deadly serious topic and there's no place for taking the piss.

im sorry, i didnt acualy read the artical, just the title of the topic, and i wasn't in the right place or mind for what i said, sorry if i afended anyone hear
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs