Military money on chopping block in austere time

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 09:33:18
Quote:
The prospect of nearly $1 trillion in cuts unnerves military leaders, troubles lawmakers protective of the Pentagon and has touched off a scramble in the defense industry as contractors look to spare their multibillion-dollar weapons programs

In sounding an alarm, Panetta is pressuring Democrats and Republicans to consider making concessions on their core priorities — entitlement programs such as Medicare and Social Security

Obama proposed increasing the fees for working-age retirees in the decades-old health program, known as TRICARE, but has encountered resistance from lawmakers and various associations for military retirees.

https://news.yahoo.com/military-money-chopping-block-austere-time-185127935.html

First, why do we keep hearing 'Social Security'
referred to as an entitlement program ?

Quote:
Less than 1% of the population is on active duty and less than 6% are military veterans

www.va.gov/VETDATA/docs/SurveysAndStudies/VETPOP.pdf
What if we were to cut the retirement benefits of the leeches in Washington instead of those of our veterans ? There might be more retired vets , but the difference in the amount of benefits a vet receives compared to those a retired politician receives I'm betting it would all even out . And if the TRICARE program is good enough for our military personal both active and retired why shouldn't it be good enough for our politician ? No reason they shouldn't pay the same premiums for medical benefits as anyone else using the TRICARE program .
These changes along with the other changes that has the military leaders upset might make a small dent .
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#2New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 12:55:26
@white_swan53 Said

There might be more retired vets , but the difference in the amount of benefits a vet receives compared to those a retired politician receives I'm betting it would all even out .

You would lose that bet.....
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 12:57:50
f***ing s***. Get over it. We cannot afford to, much less even should be militarily governing the world. Time to focus on solving our domestic problems instead.

, Florida
#4New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:00:24
@Leon Said

f***ing s***. Get over it. We cannot afford to, much less even should be militarily governing the world. Time to focus on solving our domestic problems instead.

Agreed. A world wide military empire is the only "entitlement" that is bankrupting us.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:05:32
@drman321 Said

Agreed. A world wide military empire is the only "entitlement" that is bankrupting us.

And the reason the Roman empire, Byzantine empire, and Brittish empire tumbled as well.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:42:09
@Leon Said

WTF ?? Get over what ??
I think it's high time those fat cats in Washington start trimming some of the fat from their personal wallets/ pockets.
What problem do you have with that?

I have no idea where the hell you came up with this s***
Quote:

Leon said;We cannot afford to, much less even should be
militarily governing the world

from my OP .

Oh and drman321,
I might be wrong about there being more vets then retired politicians , but I know i am not wrong about the difference in retirement benefits the fat cats get compared to that of a vet.

, Florida
#7New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:43:12
@white_swan53 Said

Oh and drman321,
I might be wrong about there being more vets then retired politicians , but I know i am not wrong about the difference in retirement benefits the fat cats get compared to that of a vet.

But you are 100% wrong about it evening out.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:44:36
@white_swan53 Said

WTF ?? Get over what ??
I think it's high time those fat cats in Washington start trimming some of the fat from their personal wallets/ pockets.
What problem do you have with that?

I have no idea where the hell you came up with this s***

from my OP .

Calm down, it was directed to the title and article, not you or what you said regarding vet benefits in particular. Sorry for the mixup.

Cuts need to be done in defense spending. No question about it.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#9New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:48:18
@drman321 Said

Actually, she's only about 99.98% wrong.. because I'd be willing to bet that the benefits congress and ex presidents get work out to about .02% of the benefits for vets.

Of course the actual money spent works out to far less than that .02%... probably along the lines of .00002%.. but we need to cut it anyway.

It's standard republican logic. Pick something that republicans don't like, and advocate cutting it completely. It won't change anything, and it will never happen, but talking about it keeps their base angry, and angry people vote.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:48:44
@drman321 Said

If they leave the vets and their benefits alone , and do some major trimming and cutting to the fat cats benefits , well you could be right, there would be huge difference in the piddly little bit they would 'save' by cutting the vets benefits and the huge amount saved by cutting the fat cats .

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:54:57
@boxerdc Said

Actually, she's only about 99.98% wrong.. because I'd be willing to bet that the benefits congress and ex presidents get work out to about .02% of the benefits for vets.

Of course the actual money spent works out to far less than that .02%... probably along the lines of .00002%.. but we need to cut it anyway.

It's standard republican logic. Pick something that republicans don't like, and advocate cutting it completely. It won't change anything, and it will never happen, but talking about it keeps their base angry, and angry people vote.

I'm talking about ALL politician's , as in
BOTH parties. .
Of course you would ignore the part where I said
'These changes along with the other changes that has the military leaders upset might make a small dent ."
If you had read the link the 'other changes' are pertaining to all sorts of cuts that have the military leaders upset.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 13:57:29
@white_swan53 Said

BOTH parties. .
'These changes along with the other changes that has the military leaders upset might make a small dent ."
If you had read the link the 'other changes' are pertaining to all sorts of cuts that have the military leaders upset.

The total sum of benefits received by all politicians, currently employed and retired, is minute compared to the total sum of benefits received by all vets, currently employed and retired. So a cut to the former would not fiscally solve the problem, other than just be a moral correction.

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 14:01:15
@Leon Said

Calm down, it was directed to the title and article, not you or what you said regarding vet benefits in particular. Sorry for the mixup.

Cuts need to be done in defense spending. No question about it.

Oops, my bad .
Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
It sure sounds like those 'military leaders' and their pet contractors are more than willing to throw their active military personal and retired vets under the bus not to mention grand pa and grandma to try keep the money rolling in .
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 14:04:48
@white_swan53 Said

Oops, my bad .
Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
It sure sounds like those 'military leaders' and their pet contractors are more than willing to throw their active military personal and retired vets under the bus not to mention grand pa and grandma to try keep the money rolling in .

I certainly wasn't advocating cheating the vets out of what they already rightfully earned in compensation. I am just advocating bringing them home and cutting future contracting and hiring.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 05, 2011 @ 14:08:40
@white_swan53 Said

BOTH parties. .

I was talking about all of them as well. The FACT is that doing what you are asking right this very minute would save us enough money to keep the government running for about another minute.. where as cutting SOME veterans benefits would keep us running for months.

And it's a republican tactic. Republicans talk about defunding thing like NPR, the arts and foreign aid, when in reality that amount of money would only keep the government running for another 30 minutes even if it was completely dismantled. But they don't want to touch the military, even though making a 10% cut in military funding would keep us running for nearly a year.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs