Politics

Lawsuit to have "God" removed from Inauguration

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
emmerz4life On April 10, 2009

, United States (general)
#31New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:59:33
ugh again lol they should keep it in there i mean god created the world. However, i respect others beliefs and i wont preach to you
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#32New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:03:56
@jonnythan Said

Lawsuit seeks to take 'God' out of inaugural
Some atheists want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out references to God and religion. In a lawsuit, the plaintiffs demand the words "So help me God" not be added to the end of the oath of office. The plaintiffs say they are being forced to choose between not watching the inauguration or watching endorsements of "purely religious notions."

https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/inauguration.lawsuit/index.html

I look at that last sentence and all I can think is "ok, so you have a choice. Don't watch it. Where's the problem?"

Then I think "self-righteous jackass."

ha ha. silly cry babies..
you hit the nail on the head here. "self righteous jackasses"
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#33New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:04:33
@jonnythan Said

Article says they're atheists, so I imagine they would.

Yeah, I saw that they are atheists, but seems the Christian God annoys more than others. If the person involved wanted an incantation from another religion, I doubt they would get as worked up. However, then the right wingers would lose their minds. Someone is always going to be pissy about something I suppose.
Selene_Dendawga On August 13, 2009

Rocklin, California
#34New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:09:18
@Vizzy Said

Yeah, I saw that they are atheists, but seems the Christian God annoys more than others. If the person involved wanted an incantation from another religion, I doubt they would get as worked up. However, then the right wingers would lose their minds. Someone is always going to be pissy about something I suppose.

I don't think it's Christian God annoys them more than any other God, but the fact that Christian God is what's shoved down everyone's thoughts in the good ole US of A.

I don't see there being any pledges or oaths where I have to swear to Shiva or ask Allah for help.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#35New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:10:03
@Vizzy Said

I don't think that's true cause it just seems that way since christianity is the main one in america and it has a lot of power and that is what the atheists are against is the power of religion.
spellchick On October 02, 2012
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#36New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:10:22
@emmerz4life Said

ugh again lol they should keep it in there i mean god created the world. However, i respect others beliefs and i wont preach to you

Thanks for that. Being an atheist in Oklahoma is hard enough. I don't need an online bible lesson.
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#37New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:15:58
@Vizzy Said

@cGobla Said

I don't think that's true cause it just seems that way since christianity is the main one in america and it has a lot of power and that is what the atheists are against is the power of religion.

they sure are trying to get religion out of power in a dumb a** way!
cepreeper On January 31, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#38New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:16:54
@jonnythan Said

FYI, this is what the actual official oath is:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Many Presidents have added "So help me God" or "This I swear" after it. Some have not.

These people aren't trying to have a religious reference removed from the oath, because there isn't one. These people are suing to prevent Obama from choosing on his own to say it.

alright then i guess i wasnt clear on that, i thought it was an actual part of the oath, but if its voluntary then by all means he should be able to say what he wants, hell he could say so help me buddha lol

Rocklin, California
#39New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:20:39
@cepreeper Said

alright then i guess i wasnt clear on that, i thought it was an actual part of the oath, but if its voluntary then by all means he should be able to say what he wants, hell he could say so help me buddha lol

I'd fully support him if he ended his speech with So Help Me Buddha. Buddhism is awesome! It's a very peaceful religion. But that would make his term a bit difficult since the majority of Congress is Christian. Honestly, I don't think a President could be anything besides Christian in this day and age without having people simply disagree with you because of your religious preference.
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#40New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:25:51
@Selene_Dendawga Said

Honestly, I don't think a President could be anything besides Christian in this day and age without having people simply disagree with you because of your religious preference.

In a way, that is the real problem. It is almost a form a discrimination.

Rocklin, California
#41New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:29:13
@skottie Said

In a way, that is the real problem. It is almost a form a discrimination.

True.

But you can't force a person from discriminating. You can stop a company/job from not hiring you based on your religious or sexual preference, but it doesn't mean the people who didn't want you there to begin with will suddenly warm up because you're a swell guy. People judge, people discriminate.
cepreeper On January 31, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#42New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:46:34
@Selene_Dendawga Said

True.

But you can't force a person from discriminating. You can stop a company/job from not hiring you based on your religious or sexual preference, but it doesn't mean the people who didn't want you there to begin with will suddenly warm up because you're a swell guy. People judge, people discriminate.

ya, for humans, discrimination is as natural as breathing

Rocklin, California
#43New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:49:42
@cepreeper Said

ya, for humans, discrimination is as natural as breathing

Yeah...it's one of the unfortunate truths.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#44New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:58:26
@jonnythan Said

Lawsuit seeks to take 'God' out of inaugural
Some atheists want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out references to God and religion. In a lawsuit, the plaintiffs demand the words "So help me God" not be added to the end of the oath of office. The plaintiffs say they are being forced to choose between not watching the inauguration or watching endorsements of "purely religious notions."

https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/inauguration.lawsuit/index.html

I look at that last sentence and all I can think is "ok, so you have a choice. Don't watch it. Where's the problem?"

Then I think "self-righteous jackass."

This is a Newdow & company issue. He has been at it for a decade and has lost every performance before the United States Supreme Court. He forgot " freedom of Religion." --NOT "freedom from religion."
And OH yes! "Freedom of speech"
familygirl On September 30, 2009

Angleton,
#45New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 21:00:20
@cepreeper Said

im not saying anything bout him not bein able to, im just sayin that the references to any certain god or religion should be taken out of the inauguration, and any else like the pledge of alligence

They don't reference a certain religion they say God. That covers Christians, Jews and Muslims. Its not like they say "So help me Jesus Christ."
I just think the guy wants public attention.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs