Jobs & Careers

Job Loss

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
allentx On June 11, 2009

Deleted

allen,
#1New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 01:16:39
https://money.cnn.com/2008/10/03/news/economy/jobs_september/index.htm?postversion=2008100313

Year to date job loss as of August 2008 = 760,000

Most of those jobs are going overseas:

From CBS: "To many American employers, India is Nirvana. It has a stable democracy, an enormous English-speaking population, and a solid education system that each year churns out more than a million college graduates -- all happy to work for a fraction of the salary of their American counterparts.

And India epitomizes the new global economy -- a country that often looks on the edge of collapse, a background of grinding poverty, visually a mess.

And yet, whether you know it or not, when you call Delta Airlines, American Express, Sprint, Citibank, IBM or Hewlett Packard's technical support number, chances are you'll be talking to an Indian. "

The U.S. government does not keep track of how many American jobs have gone overseas, but there are estimates that in just the last three years, as many as 400,000 jobs have gone to places like China, Russia, and India.

"The reason the companies are coming here is to really be more competitive and that cannot be bad for the U.S. economy," says Iyengar, who believes the effect of outsourcing on the Indian economy has been quite dramatic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/23/60minutes/main590004.shtml

That is the full article.

While these companies insist they are passing the savings on to us for outsourcing, you know that is a bunch of bull. I don't see things getting much cheaper. Do you?

It is a fact that these companies outsource to MAXIMIZE their profits so their majority shareholders will make a killing; and we Americans are left out of jobs. And I find it funny that McCain wants to give these companies a tax break; when they should be getting penalites for outsourcing our jobs...
jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#2New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 01:29:36
where will it stop is anyone's guess. Shareholders are retired workers whose pensions are invested in the companies to make a profit. CEO's have to move jobs to make higher profits for the shareholders or they lose their jobs to those CEO's who will move the jobs to where they can make higher profits. Kinda like a toilet, it starts out slow...
It stinks.
Then the better the CEO does their job the bigger the golden parachute when the company folds.
LadyBlue On November 12, 2008

Deleted

Memphis,
#3New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 01:32:12
I have made my voice matter by not buying products made in China, and trying to buy ONLY U.S.A made products.
allentx On June 11, 2009

Deleted

allen,
#4New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 01:36:08
@LadyBlue Said

I have made my voice matter by not buying products made in China, and trying to buy ONLY U.S.A made products.

I agree with you 100% on that. But also you have to stop using credit cards, computers, and the list goes on and on.

I only wish we Americans were stronger and more outspoken and started a protest so our voices can be heard dammit
cherigrover On July 14, 2009

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 13:52:26
Hi - i thought you guys were always more patriotic than many other countries.? i'm surprised business has gone that way (thought it was just the UK!! hahahah!)

Shame eh? I agree. Start using solely usa (or in my case UK) products and services. It makes a difference not being transferred to a different country and having someone try to talk to me about the weather etc when really all i want is my broadband to work!! hahahahah.

Its a shame that shareholders and golden handshakes exist (!) the little people always lose out to them. why not worry about customers and what they can afford instead of worrying about how much dividend they can give out. *sigh*. life makes me sooo mad.

Cheri
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#6New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 13:57:56
the usa is in a unique position; here in a war and need money for it. Foreign contries buy trillons in usa bonds. That money needed for war, home programs etc. In tern usa govt. allows foreign countries to trade here without restrictions. Have it either way, higher taxes or less jobs. usa standandard of living just too high. Over and above your GNP
tinkastreasure On November 05, 2008

Deleted

Jacksonville,
#7New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 14:16:41
"Year to date job loss as of August 2008 = 760,000
Most of those jobs are going overseas:" allentx
The article you took this from says nothing about "Most of those jobs are going overseas" You just made that crap up!

In 2004, a study, based on employment data for the decade ending in 2001, which concluded that U.S. multinationals created two jobs in the USA for every job they added abroad. That comforting conclusion broke down in more recent years. From 1991 through 2005, multinationals created almost as many jobs abroad (3.6 million) as they added at home (3.8 million).

So, for every job lost here in the USA to overseas, made 2 new jobs here? Wow.
Yes, it looks like it has slowed down a bit, now it looks like a one for one job swap from 1991 to 2005. But not a loss.
As for your 760,000 job loss...
Total nonfarm payroll employment (excludes the self-employed) decreased by 159,000 in September.
Thus far in 2008, payroll employment has fallen by 760,000. Over the month, employment continued to decline in manufacturing, construction, and retail trade. Health care and mining continued to add jobs in September. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

But, The unemployment rate (6.1 percent) was unchanged in September,following a 0.4 percentage point rise in August. The number of unemployed persons was little changed at 9.5 million. Over the past 12 months, the number of unemployed persons has increased by 2.2 million and the unemployment rate has risen by 1.4 percentage points.

So the unemployment rate at 6.1%, stayed the same. So jobs must have been found or created for it to stay the same. Plus, this does not take into accout those of us who are self-employed.

It's all doom and gloom for you guys. Yes, times are getting a bit tougher, but, you don't have to make up crap to make it seem worse.
Mort On July 20, 2010

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 13:18:42
Outsourcing of jobs is just a side effect of a global capitalistic system. Ultimately any company is out there to make it's owners and shareholders money, that's it's purpose, period.
You can't really blame the businessess that move overseas, they're just operating in the system as it exists, of course they want to reduce their costs, you'd want to too if it was your business, & if that means outsourcing overseas that's obviously what they're going to do.
Only way this will change is if they see a financial advantage to basing their operatioons in their country of origin, e.g. if foreign call centres can demonstrably be shown to adversely effect sales. *shrug*
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#9New Post! Oct 29, 2008 @ 13:22:40
@allentx Said

https://money.cnn.com/2008/10/03/news/economy/jobs_september/index.htm?postversion=2008100313

Year to date job loss as of August 2008 = 760,000

Most of those jobs are going overseas:

From CBS: "To many American employers, India is Nirvana. It has a stable democracy, an enormous English-speaking population, and a solid education system that each year churns out more than a million college graduates -- all happy to work for a fraction of the salary of their American counterparts.

And India epitomizes the new global economy -- a country that often looks on the edge of collapse, a background of grinding poverty, visually a mess.

And yet, whether you know it or not, when you call Delta Airlines, American Express, Sprint, Citibank, IBM or Hewlett Packard's technical support number, chances are you'll be talking to an Indian. "

The U.S. government does not keep track of how many American jobs have gone overseas, but there are estimates that in just the last three years, as many as 400,000 jobs have gone to places like China, Russia, and India.

"The reason the companies are coming here is to really be more competitive and that cannot be bad for the U.S. economy," says Iyengar, who believes the effect of outsourcing on the Indian economy has been quite dramatic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/23/60minutes/main590004.shtml

That is the full article.

While these companies insist they are passing the savings on to us for outsourcing, you know that is a bunch of bull. I don't see things getting much cheaper. Do you?

It is a fact that these companies outsource to MAXIMIZE their profits so their majority shareholders will make a killing; and we Americans are left out of jobs. And I find it funny that McCain wants to give these companies a tax break; when they should be getting penalites for outsourcing our jobs...

These aren't "our" jobs, these jobs belong to the companies.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs