The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Experienced any legal or tax issues with jobs at umbrella companies?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 09, 2010 @ 13:51:08
Hi guys

At the beginning of this New Year I decided to take action in my career as a freelancer in the media industry. Last year I was a bit of a mess and didn?t even have much work for the first half of the year.

This year I want to step-up and give my career a proper go.
So, I?ve recently updated my CV (although I still think I should rather get professional help on it, but I?m skint at the moment).

But now I?m considering an umbrella company. However, I?m not too sure if it is the right route to go seeing as I might loose money. But I?m keen on getting more work in but not sitting with the admin side of things. I HATE admin and have muddled all my invoices up.
Have any of you used an Umbrella Company
to date?

And would you recommend it to anyone? I?m scared it is not as rosy as it seems and that legal or tax issues can arise at a later stage.

The other alternative is that I market myself better. Unfortunately I experienced two random clients last year who I did work for but hasn?t paid me until this day. They don?t answer their phones, never reply to my emails, so I?ve given up. I hope that with someone looking out for me in a professional sense that this will NEVER happen.

Are there a specific company I should get for the media field? Like Parasol Group or Orange Genie ?

I?m really unsure? any advise will be much appreciated

Thanks a million,
J
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 10, 2010 @ 17:21:38
Hi Jean

Its weird that you should put this in here as I know quite a bit on the subject!!!!

The things I would look at when looking for an Umbrella Company would be as follows:
Cost
Customer Services
Time - what do I have to do

What I mean by the last is simply what work is involved for me, with some you have to raise your own invoices and do all sorts where as others provide a more well rounded service!

Customer Services is also very important - how likely are you to be able to speak to someone each time you call? Or do you have to email/deal with an automated system?

Personally I prefer the human touch, at least during normal business hours and hate waiting more than 24 hours for a call back.

Two of the best that I would recommend are below with thier best qualities:
Crystal Umbrella
These are the cheaper of the two
You can sign up online with them
They have an online salary calculator (both of these two are great time savers)
They have an instant chat facility online where you can chat to someone from their company.

Atlantic Umbrella
Great Customer Services
One to one expenses training on their systems
You do not need to raise your own invoices
They have an express scheme, whereby you can be paid in advance for a small charge

Both of these are compliant and are a-emc registered which is like some industry body they work with so look for ones that are registered with them.

Hope some of that helps you out? Feel free to ask if I can help more?
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 11, 2010 @ 12:58:31
Thank goodness someone knows, it must be more common than I thought.
I can tell you that if I opt for something like this I do not want any of the admin, I would rather pay a little more.
Say I do decide to go with an umbrella company, what can I expect...
Do I ring them and what do I say?
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 12, 2010 @ 16:48:34
Hi Jean,

Yes if you decide to go with an Umbrella company you just need to call them and let them know that you want a quote for their services and projected income?

Something along the lines of - they should be able to calculate how much you will take home on a weekly/monthly basis etc.... If you want them to do uit all for you make sure you go for one where all the work is included, invoicing, debt chasing on your behalf etc...

They will then email you some details through and you can make comparisons! Speak to a few as it will give you a better idea of how they are, you don't want to end up with one where you can never reach anyone after all hehe!
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 12:18:16
How fantastic, someone else doing the debt collecting, I always hate asking about money. How about you? It is so embarresing chasing after someone that owe's me money, so that feature is definitely a must. I must say I have looked around a bit and think I know which two I'll be asking for a quote.
It is kind off exciting - a new professional me! Thanks for all your help Salinaa
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 19, 2010 @ 15:41:16
No probs Jean! Have you started up yet?
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 15:23:52
Hi Salinaa, I will be starting next week actually, March is the start of Professional Jeanne, very excited, would recommend umbrella companies to anybody thinking about it.

Thanks again for your help!
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 02, 2010 @ 17:21:13
No problem Jean - Let us know how you get on after your first month
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs