AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:30:35
@Salutations75 Said

I notice you're avoiding my challenge.
It's easy to say "The Bible contradicts" and then run away when proof is asked for.

The only people who say the Bible contradicts are people who don't know what words like "context" or "chronology" or "genre" mean.

I read the Bible every day and have read the entirety of it many times, and as a student of scripture I assure you that as long as you pay attention to basic concepts such as: context, chronology and genre, the Bible doesn't contradict. But if you hate things like context, chronology and genre, then every book you read is a bunch of nonsense.

You are automatically defending yourself from any example of contradiction I give. You hide behind words like 'context', 'chronology' and 'genre' so that you can switch between mythological truth and literal truth.

Yet despite that you want me to list of constant contradictions in the bible, no doubt you have a party line for each of them, but hell, I'll bite.

Could you please, for example, inform me as to how many children Michal the daughter of Saul had.
Salutations75 On November 24, 2009

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#17New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:37:33
@jmo Said

First off the Qur'an claims no such thing. It claims to be a moral and religious text which uses similar themes to those expressed in previous religious texts.

Your second point quite frankly has nothing to do with the point I made.

The simple truth is nothing written in either the bible or the qur'an can be used as evidence for itself. Thats like me quoting this post for proof in something I have posted.

Really? The Qu'ran doesn't claim to be a continuation of the Old and New Testaments? The ENTIRE argument between Christians and Muslims is about whether or not Mohammed is the final prophet - for him to be the final prophet his writings HAVE to be a continuation of the other prophets. Honestly, you need to do your research before you speak. You are humiliating yourself and I don't think you even realize it.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#18New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:41:17
@Salutations75 Said

Really? The Qu'ran doesn't claim to be a continuation of the Old and New Testaments? The ENTIRE argument between Christians and Muslims is about whether or not Mohammed is the final prophet - for him to be the final prophet his writings HAVE to be a continuation of the other prophets. Honestly, you need to do your research before you speak. You are humiliating yourself and I don't think you even realize it.

A continuation of other prophets is not the continuation of the Bible.

Jesus was a prophet according to both religions. Islam has a different perspective of what Jesus said and did than Christians do.

I would also like you not to insult my intelligence, it goes against the terms of service you agreed to by joining this website.

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#19New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:56:44
@jmo Said

You are automatically defending yourself from any example of contradiction I give. You hide behind words like 'context', 'chronology' and 'genre' so that you can switch between mythological truth and literal truth.

Yet despite that you want me to list of constant contradictions in the bible, no doubt you have a party line for each of them, but hell, I'll bite.

Could you please, for example, inform me as to how many children Michal the daughter of Saul had.

Honestly... If things like "genre" and "chronology" and "context" are concepts that people "hide behind" in your eyes, then I can only assume that you are poorly educated and I give up in thinking that you can understand their importance. Please see your local education institution to find out why these are of vital importance.

I originally wanted to simply show you that the Bible doesn't contradict, but since you hate logic I feel that I am wasting my time here.

No matter how logical, no matter how clear, no matter how obviously true my response is, you have totally closed your mind. To say that context/genre/chronology are things to hide behind is so ridiculously stupid that my brain hurts.

Importance of chronology:
June 5th 2000 - John goes to the park.
July 9th 2005 - John decides to never go to the park again.
Stupid observation: John went to the park! John is a liar and contradicts himself!!!
Refutation: Paying attention to the dates when things happened would have explained that, but the person who made the observation is stupid.

Important of context:
Rules for cleaning a pull: When the pool is empty make sure you clean it well. Do not jump in to the pool, use the ladder!
Rules for swimming: Always jump in to the pool, do not use the ladder.
Stupid observation: These rules contradict!
Refutation: Paying attention to the context would have shown the reader that in the first rule was for when the pool is empty and the second rule is for when the pool is full.

Importance of Genre:
Historical Declaration: God is not an animal
Poetry: God covers is children with his wings and when they fall he bears them up like an eagle.
Stupid Observation: Contradiction!! God is clearly a bird, and elsewhere he says he isn't a bird!
Refutation: A moment taken to see that poetry is in play would have quickly explained this "contradiction", but the person who read these lines was stupid.

Should I bother responding to your "contradiction" that your googled? Is it worth my time? Not really, you spit on everything that disagrees with you - even if all the established education institutions say you are wrong. Ignoring context/genre/chronology is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Honestly, that's just dumb.

If anyone else has any questions and you recognize that things that "context" matter, feel free to ask.

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#20New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:00:59
@jmo Said

A continuation of other prophets is not the continuation of the Bible.

Jesus was a prophet according to both religions. Islam has a different perspective of what Jesus said and did than Christians do.

I would also like you not to insult my intelligence, it goes against the terms of service you agreed to by joining this website.

In that response I didn't insult your intelligent, I commented on how you were humiliating yourself.

Jesus is God in the Christian religion while a prophet in the Islamic religion. Islam has a very different perspective of what Jesus said and did - they deny everything that Jesus said about how he is God.

You are continuing to humiliate yourself. Go and do some research, stop talking about things you are ignorant of.

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#21New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:02:45
@Salutations75 Said

Honestly... If things like "genre" and "chronology" and "context" are concepts that people "hide behind" in your eyes, then I can only assume that you are poorly educated and I give up in thinking that you can understand their importance. Please see your local education institution to find out why these are of vital importance.

I originally wanted to simply show you that the Bible doesn't contradict, but since you hate logic I feel that I am wasting my time here.

No matter how logical, no matter how clear, no matter how obviously true my response is, you have totally closed your mind. To say that context/genre/chronology are things to hide behind is so ridiculously stupid that my brain hurts.

Importance of chronology:
June 5th 2000 - John goes to the park.
July 9th 2005 - John decides to never go to the park again.
Stupid observation: John went to the park! John is a liar and contradicts himself!!!
Refutation: Paying attention to the dates when things happened would have explained that, but the person who made the observation is stupid.

Important of context:
Rules for cleaning a pull: When the pool is empty make sure you clean it well. Do not jump in to the pool, use the ladder!
Rules for swimming: Always jump in to the pool, do not use the ladder.
Stupid observation: These rules contradict!
Refutation: Paying attention to the context would have shown the reader that in the first rule was for when the pool is empty and the second rule is for when the pool is full.

Importance of Genre:
Historical Declaration: God is not an animal
Poetry: God covers is children with his wings and when they fall he bears them up like an eagle.
Stupid Observation: Contradiction!! God is clearly a bird, and elsewhere he says he isn't a bird!
Refutation: A moment taken to see that poetry is in play would have quickly explained this "contradiction", but the person who read these lines was stupid.

Should I bother responding to your "contradiction" that your googled? Is it worth my time? Not really, you spit on everything that disagrees with you - even if all the established education institutions say you are wrong. Ignoring context/genre/chronology is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Honestly, that's just dumb.

If anyone else has any questions and you recognize that things that "context" matter, feel free to ask.

Correction, "rules for cleaning a pool" and not "rules for cleaning a pull". I realize in the IRONY in typo within the CONTEXT of this message.

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#22New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:09:18
Alright, I'm done for tonight. I am tired and my typos are happening far too frequently for my comfort.

I am more than willing to have an intelligent discussion with anyone regarding issues of contradiction within scripture. However I refuse to converse with anyone who thinks that chronology, context and genre are irrelevant. I am sure the majority of you understand why.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#23New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:54:01
@Salutations75 Said

I just finished spending 3 months with an atheist proving to him that the Bible doesn't contradict. He stills think it's all garbage, but now he agrees that the Bible is in perfect agreement with itself.

So he's still an atheist.
In essence you've proven nothing.

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#24New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 02:29:27
@boxerdc Said

So he's still an atheist.
In essence you've proven nothing.

Uhh... The point that I did prove is that the Bible is in unity, which is the point I was trying to prove... The fact that he is still an atheist has nothing to do with whether the Bible is unified in it's message or divided.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#25New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 09:58:35
@Salutations75 Said

In that response I didn't insult your intelligent, I commented on how you were humiliating yourself.

Jesus is God in the Christian religion while a prophet in the Islamic religion. Islam has a very different perspective of what Jesus said and did - they deny everything that Jesus said about how he is God.

You are continuing to humiliate yourself. Go and do some research, stop talking about things you are ignorant of.

How exactly am I humiliating myself when you first of all said the exact same thing that I said and secondly decided to play your game, gave an example of a biblical inaccuracy yet you decide not to answer because you think it would be unbefitting?

Please don't resort to calling me dumb or uneducated, you know absolutely nothing about me and quite frankly it is offensive. This is the be nice forum may I remind you.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 15:49:08
@Salutations75 Said

The Bible doesn't contradict itself. People who rip things out of context make the Bible appear to contradict itself.

I just finished spending 3 months with an atheist proving to him that the Bible doesn't contradict. He stills think it's all garbage, but now he agrees that the Bible is in perfect agreement with itself.

I can't prove to you that the Bible is true, but you won't be able to prove the Bible to contradict. If you would like to try, I encourage you to do so without ignoring context and genre.

Right. So i could read all four versions of the Resurrection story and they'd all be the same?

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#27New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 16:16:00
@Michael718 Said

Right. So i could read all four versions of the Resurrection story and they'd all be the same?

I can't imagine why they would be - if all the gospel narratives focused on the exact same parts of the same events then they would just be copies of each other.

Each author focused on what was most important to the audience he was writing to.

Yesterday I went to lunch and then went home for a bit and then went to the library.
My friend Josh told my other friend Steve that yesterday I went to lunch and to the library. Did my friend Josh lie? No, he only mentioned what he felt was relevant. He's also not in disagreement with me as he never claimed that he had given a full description of all of the events in that day. We see in the gospel of John that John freely admits that he has not recorded everything, meaning many things have been left out. This is how authorship works, each other focuses on the events which are important for the context of his writing. It would be ridiculous for ALL events in Jesus' life and ministry to be recorded, including the minor events (like lizards walking around) to be noted in perfect detail. The gospels are not a moment by moment report of events, they are true perspectives on some of the vital events.
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#28New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 16:27:18
@Salutations75 Said

The Bible doesn't contradict itself. People who rip things out of context make the Bible appear to contradict itself.

I can't prove to you that the Bible is true, but you won't be able to prove the Bible to contradict. If you would like to try, I encourage you to do so without ignoring context and genre.

i agree .. its even harder to explain it in a post but the bible makes sense if you look at it as a whole ..
the text isnt even interpreted right by half the population.. they tend to see it as a pictorial book and miss the metaphorial meaning...

Deleted

Toronto, Canada
#29New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 16:52:47
@abzenze Said

i agree .. its even harder to explain it in a post but the bible makes sense if you look at it as a whole ..
the text isnt even interpreted right by half the population.. they tend to see it as a pictorial book and miss the metaphorial meaning...

It's unfortunate that people ignore things like genre and context when they approach the Bible. It's even more unfortunate when people ignore literary devices in order to make the Bible mean what they want it to.

The Bible is full of all sorts of different genres and literary devices:
1) Historical books (to be taken literally)
2) Songs full of many literary devices (taken literally or metaphorically, depending upon the devices used)
3) Proverbs (Truisms - true the majority of the time)
4) Gospels (historical truth from a theological perspective)
5) Letters of instruction (many literary devices used, mostly taken literally however)
6) Apocalyptic literature (unique, but closest concept would be a series of metaphors)
7) Etc.

Sadly, some people take metaphors literally, or take history allegorically or metaphorically. If we approach the Bible and don't treat it as literature with logical literary devices we can easily pervert it.

Thank you for your post!
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 16:57:59
@Salutations75 Said

It's unfortunate that people ignore things like genre and context when they approach the Bible. It's even more unfortunate when people ignore literary devices in order to make the Bible mean what they want it to.

The Bible is full of all sorts of different genres and literary devices:
1) Historical books (to be taken literally)
2) Songs full of many literary devices (taken literally or metaphorically, depending upon the devices used)
3) Proverbs (Truisms - true the majority of the time)
4) Gospels (historical truth from a theological perspective)
5) Letters of instruction (many literary devices used, mostly taken literally however)
6) Apocalyptic literature (unique, but closest concept would be a series of metaphors)
7) Etc.

Sadly, some people take metaphors literally, or take history allegorically or metaphorically. If we approach the Bible and don't treat it as literature with logical literary devices we can easily pervert it.

Thank you for your post!

Then shouldnt it have been written as incorruptible? If it is divine gospel, after all... And its not like they didnt destroy enough 'blasphemous' texts wehn creating the bible.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs