Interesting Article

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:34:18
I found the following interesting.......

Deuteronomy for the non-religious
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:42:03
Yeah, Deuteronomy is one of the books of the bible that presents stoning as the punishment for various behaviors, such as a woman loosing her virginity before marriage, homosexuality, etc.

The linked article somehow ignores this, and is therefore disingenuous.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#3New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:44:04
@chaski Said

Yeah, Deuteronomy is one of the books of the bible that presents stoning as the punishment for various behaviors, such as a woman loosing her virginity before marriage, homosexuality, etc.

Getting stoned is considered a *punishment*!?! I call it recreation.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:47:26
@chaski Said

Hi, as the article says, Deuteronomy demands that the torah be stated in fresh ways for each generation and also says of the book of Deuteronomy..... However, like all great wisdom, it must not be taken literally.

It is written from a "post-modern" perspective.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:47:39
@bob_the_fisherman Said

And being stoned is fun.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#6New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:49:58
@dookie Said

Hi, as the article says, Deuteronomy demands that the torah be stated in fresh ways for each generation and also says of the book of Deuteronomy..... However, like all great wisdom, it must not be taken literally.

Ok... I'm game.

What is a "fresh" way to say:

"she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death."
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#7New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:50:41
@chaski Said

And being stoned is fun.

Especially when it is the punishment for committing adultery...
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#8New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:52:30
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Especially when it is the punishment for committing adultery...

Especially when it is top of the line weed.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#9New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:53:02
@dookie Said

"It is not meant to be taken literally, as it refers to any manufacturers of... dairy products."

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 16:56:03
@chaski Said

Ok... I'm game.

What is a "fresh" way to say:

"she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death."

I would say you have to leave the historical context behind, leave one's own current "context" behind (a fresh mind for oneself as much as is possible)!) look behind the words to the entire thrust of the entire book, and................not take individual sentences literally in order to dismiss the effort that would be called for to do so.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:02:27
@dookie Said

I would say you have to leave the historical context behind, leave one's own current "context" behind (a fresh mind for oneself as much as is possible)!) look behind the words to the entire thrust of the entire book, and................not take individual sentences literally in order to dismiss the effort that would be called for to do so.

Ok.

I left the historical context behind. I am not going to use my own current context. I am going to open my mind to a fresh interpretation.

I won't take individual sentences literally. I will take it from the perspective of the entire book of Deuteronomy and specifically in the context of Chapter 22 (since it is listing numerous violations of "law" and the requisite punishments).

Now I am ready. Give it to me... the fresh interpretation of:

stone her to death.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:05:34
@bob_the_fisherman Said

That explains a lot, lol.

Banned

#13New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:14:23
@dookie Said

Does it matter? Deuteronomy is a statement of the Mosaic law, which became in valid with the death of the one it pointed to, the one it was tutor leading it, the one who fulfilled it, Jesus Christ.

However it is worth remembering that God never changes.

He is perfect, He has no need to, therefore His requirements do not change either. The Mosaic Law was "perfect for purpose" but it's purpose ended with Christ and that is why Paul describes it as being nailed to the torture stake with him.

He does not change to suit us, we should change to suit Him.

People say that religion should change with the times.

Why?

Are we more clever than God?

Do we know more than the one who created us, and everything else?

Should the times not change to fit in with God?
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:14:57
@chaski Said

Ok.

I left the historical context behind. I am not going to use my own current context. I am going to open my mind to a fresh interpretation.

I won't take individual sentences literally. I will take it from the perspective of the entire book of Deuteronomy and specifically in the context of Chapter 22 (since it is listing numerous violations of "law" and the requisite punishments).

Now I am ready. Give it to me... the fresh interpretation of:

stone her to death.

OK, for YOU the article is only interesting in as much as it can be used to confirm your own current mentality.

Fair enough. It's quite a good one judging by many of your posts. I too am not happy with much that can be found in so called "sacred" literature - especially when taken literally.

However, I mentioned how we need to open to the entire thrust of the entire book. By returning again and again to particular verses you show yourself unwilling to think outside of your own current "box".

You grind a good axe.

Banned

#15New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:24:51
@dookie Said

OK, for YOU the article is only interesting in as much as it can be used to confirm your own current mentality.

Pot - kettle?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs