News & Current Events

I'm not surprised at BP

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:12:31
I grew up in the shadow of the BP oil refinery at Grangemouth and I'm not surprised that they were found to have cut corners on safety, or that they're taking so long to fix the problem. I've seen them turn the sky orange at night when a flare has went up too high. One cloudy day it was like a seen from Lord of the Rings, the flare was literally shooting into the sky. A year where BP weren't fined for safety issues was a year wasted in their eyes. There were never really any serious issues but I seem to remember a person walking their dog being blown across the street, a fire, a massive flare up. Warnings have been issued fairly regularly to residents in the Grangemouth area that this will happen and that will happen and not to worry but it's hard not to.

I stayed in Grangemouth for a week with my gran and every night I had nightmares about something bad happening at the refinery and having to leave, the many safety issues they were caught on not helping my nerves one bit. To this day the place freaks me out somewhat. After all, it's a company I've known to be pretty negligent and slow to fix problems. I'm just not surprised at all and that's just sad in a way. I miss having faith in certain people.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:13:50
I wonder if other refineries have that problem as well?
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#3New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:15:10
THis is just another way we are killing our planet.

Every decade brings about more damage. These oil companies are only worried about their wallet, so are many other entities that make money producing things that are harmful to the world we live in.

In 50 years I seriously doubt anyone will be taking many strolls along the beach as the waters will be so nasty by then no one will want to.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:16:45
@plebian_angel Said

I wonder if other refineries have that problem as well?

Probably. I know that safety can be hard to maintain. It just seemed to be all the time at BP. You pretty rarely hear about anything else happening in that area and there are quite a few chemical works and other oil companies down there. So much so that the area has the highest rates of cancer in Scotland, probably linked to industrial pollution. A favourite joke in Falkirk is that people from Grangemouth glow in the dark. I swear my cousin Danielle does.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:17:45
@GSnap Said

THis is just another way we are killing our planet.

Every decade brings about more damage. These oil companies are only worried about their wallet, so are many other entities that make money producing things that are harmful to the world we live in.

In 50 years I seriously doubt anyone will be taking many strolls along the beach as the waters will be so nasty by then no one will want to.

Apparently pollution on UK beaches has dropped in the last few years There was a scandal a few years ago about BP poisoning a burn (stream). All the fish and frogs died and it was a while before it ran clean again.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:31:48
All companies cut corners to maximise profits, I don't think it's fair just singling out BP.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:34:30
@SparklyKatie Said

All companies cut corners to maximise profits, I don't think it's fair just singling out BP.

I'm not. I'm just saying I'm not surprised. I'm also observing that it happens pretty often compared to similar businesses in the same area. I grew up in the shadow of that thing. I'm not as scared of it as I was when I was younger but there was a time I couldn't stay overnight in Grangemouth because of the nightmares it gave me. It was a pretty awful thing to grow up near. I might have had more confidence if they weren't being fined for one safety violation or another every few weeks.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:49:48
Just an idea of the size of it.

Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 31, 2010 @ 22:55:31
The problem is, they save more than they are fined when they cut corners, so no real incentives there to go by the book, they need to be fined a whole lot more than they currently are.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs