The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

I have no idea what to study at university... And I have to decide soon...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#1New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:26:23
I'm in the middle of my Freshman year now and it's time to register for my courses for Spring... But the problem is, I'm still not entirely sure what I want to major in. I covered the basics in the first semester, but my major is basically decided on what courses I choose to complete this next semester... And I'm stuck.

I absolutely love the idea of an integration of Political Science/Philosophy/History/etc... I'd go all the way as to get a PhD and I think it would be really exciting seeing as how I'm extremely interested in these subjects...

But on the other hand, there's Computer Science and I really, really like the idea. I already know a lot about computers and obviously I can't live without them... But I'm worried sitting at a computer desk my entire life coding might not be what I really want...

I'm stuck right smack in the middle... I have no idea what to do or what to register for this following semester.

Any help?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:35:23
@Galastaray Said

I'm in the middle of my Freshman year now and it's time to register for my courses for Spring... But the problem is, I'm still not entirely sure what I want to major in. I covered the basics in the first semester, but my major is basically decided on what courses I choose to complete this next semester... And I'm stuck.

I absolutely love the idea of an integration of Political Science/Philosophy/History/etc... I'd go all the way as to get a PhD and I think it would be really exciting seeing as how I'm extremely interested in these subjects...

But on the other hand, there's Computer Science and I really, really like the idea. I already know a lot about computers and obviously I can't live without them... But I'm worried sitting at a computer desk my entire life coding might not be what I really want...

I'm stuck right smack in the middle... I have no idea what to do or what to register for this following semester.

Any help?

Have you ever thought of a double major? Or perhaps majoring in one and minoring in the other?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:36:51
I'd recommend politics and philosophy, not political science though, it's boring as hell.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#4New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:51:45
@someone_else Said

Have you ever thought of a double major? Or perhaps majoring in one and minoring in the other?

Yeah, I have thought of it and I'm actually considering it. A double major in Computer Science and Philosophy... No courses will overlap, but I don't mind staying a few more years in university.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#5New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:52:59
@Galastaray Said

Yeah, I have thought of it and I'm actually considering it. A double major in Computer Science and Philosophy... No courses will overlap, but I don't mind staying a few more years in university.

At least the basic ones would be out of the way.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#6New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:53:58
Anti-Americanism
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#7New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:54:10
@jmo Said

I'd recommend politics and philosophy, not political science though, it's boring as hell.

The only political major I have here is actually called Political Studies... But maybe they have different naming rules in the UK? Maybe, over there, you have more detail and thus enough to fill up different political majors... Whereas here... Somehow they're either all under one major or we're just not being taught everything we deserve...
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#8New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:55:17
@Wellard Said

Anti-Americanism

Unfortunately, that major isn't available in Lebanon due to budgetary constraints.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:55:22
@Galastaray Said

The only political major I have here is actually called Political Studies... But maybe they have different naming rules in the UK? Maybe, over there, you have more detail and thus enough to fill up different political majors... Whereas here... Somehow they're either all under one major or we're just not being taught everything we deserve...

In the UK Political science is generally the systems behind politics whereas politics here tends to be more about the philosophical basis behind it and what makes up ideologies and the parties themselves.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#10New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:57:48
@jmo Said

In the UK Political science is generally the systems behind politics whereas politics here tends to be more about the philosophical basis behind it and what makes up ideologies and the parties themselves.

Oh, wow. Politics sounds much, much more interesting. I'm certain we have nothing like that here. Do you have such diversity even at your small, less renowned universities?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 22:01:43
@Galastaray Said

Oh, wow. Politics sounds much, much more interesting. I'm certain we have nothing like that here. Do you have such diversity even at your small, less renowned universities?

Depends on the uni. Mine is one of the best in the country for philosophy which makes the political philosophy content quite diverse. Different uni's are different though, just depends based on institution really.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#12New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 22:09:24
@jmo Said

Depends on the uni. Mine is one of the best in the country for philosophy which makes the political philosophy content quite diverse. Different uni's are different though, just depends based on institution really.

Ultimately, yeah. Thanks for your help.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#13New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 22:15:32
shoot for what is your strenge.
be the one they want to hire, cause you shine.
darkangel28 On February 08, 2019
im a maplestoryadict

damn it started snowing again,
#14New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 05:13:58
@Galastaray Said

Any help?

if i was you i would get into something that would help make you earn alot like my aunt married this guy who is a computer engineer and he makes alot of money he makes 50.00 an hour.
and made the computer chips that go into the playstation consoles.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#15New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 05:28:11
You are already on your way to Anti western studies!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs