Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#16New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 18:46:12
@PTF Said

Hopefully...wait...Your nightmarish cartoon will never make the big screen nor the cartoon channel.
You can give BET a try to boost their ratings...good luck there.

.....Do you... Do you even think about what you're going to say before you start letting verbal diarrhea dribble down your chin or is it even a surprise for you when it happens?

I just... *Sighs.*

*Does this to PTF.*

@Jennifer1984 Said

I'm not sure what the attitude of "Soccer Mums" is. Are they vehemently anti-homosexual or something..? I really don't know.

Having said that, whatever you do, you'd be doing the homosexual community a grave disservice if you portrayed your character as a stereotype. A stereotype will not only come under immediate attack, but would further cement the kind of negative image that we don't like and really don't deserve.

Rather, it would be more productive if you modelled your character on being an ordinary person who just happens to be a lesbian, because that is what the vast, overwhelming majority of us are. Very ordinary. Boringly so, mostly.

We don't typically wear dungarees, grow beards or smoke cigars and we sure as heck don't go around waving rainbow flags all day long.

Rather, why not just let your character have the sort of everyday issues / scrapes / adventures that all kids have, but let her do it with a female companion with whom she is obviously very close and also, perhaps, lives with. Understate the sexuality aspect, but just do enough to make it clear that same gender relationships do occur and are quite normal. I think that might just present you with a writing challenge to get your teeth into. Good luck.

"Gently does it" is a good way to go about things.

I think he meant 'soccer moms' in terms of more quote/unquote 'traditional families' with the dad, mom, 2.3 kids (how would that even work? It'd be just two kids and a pair of mobile, autonomous severed legs), the pets, maybe Grandpa.

Yeah, it's much better when a character's orientation is just a facet of their personality rather than what defines them. Otherwise you'll sometimes end up with some very.... ummm... we'll call them 'interesting' results and shows.

Like Yuri Kuma Arashi for example. I'd post a YT link to the intro, but it's definitely not TOS-friendly.

@last_wave_of_summer Said

I honestly reckon people spend too much time carrying on about the symbolism or whatever you want to call it in kids movies and books.

I read somewhere an article claiming the Lion King had racist messages...as a kid I didn't pick up on that, I just saw a great move. Even now I watch it and still don't get the "racist message" crap.

In the end I reckon it doesn't matter what message a movie or book is trying to send, if the "soccer mums" are homophobic and teach the kids the same then that's going to be their main influence.

The parents will always have a bigger impact on how a kid grows up regardless of movies, TV, Music, books, toys....

I don't see it either. Do they mean against hyenas? I don't even know.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#17New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 19:30:31
@NNewt84 Said

so let’s cut to the chase here.

I’m planning to make a cartoon show one day, which centres around a young girl in a small rural town. I don’t want to give too much away, but one of the main characters is a lesbian. This being a show for children, I will have to face the soccer moms (and/or dads) at one point or another. And unlike most children’s shows, where the gay accusations are either incorrect or lacking in sufficient evidence, it’s definitely true this time, so I could get it much worse. But here’s my question: should I give in to the soccer parents, or should I just ignore them? Because I really want to ignore them, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea.

Make her Bi, throw in an occasional 3-way, and maybe you can call it educational!

@last_wave_of_summer Said

I honestly reckon people spend too much time carrying on about the symbolism or whatever you want to call it in kids movies and books.

Wholly agree!

PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#18New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 00:06:22
I don't care.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#19New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 00:22:17
@PTF Said

I don't care.

I think you do care.

Walks away.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#20New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 04:05:29
@yami Said

Bang goes that fantasy...

JaseR On June 06, 2015

Sydney, Australia
#21New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 11:16:17
@boxer Said

You've given too much away. You're supposed to hide the lesbian until the book in the hands of children, then have the lesbian leap out, tits swinging in the wind, with hairy armpits and a tie dyed wrap skort.. That's the way to cause controversy and that's what sells stories.

WEEEEEEEEERQ!
JaseR On June 06, 2015

Sydney, Australia
#22New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 11:20:26
@yami Said

They don't look like that in the movies!

Good luck with your venture...you'll need it, this is pretty controversial for a kids cartoon.
What sort of adventures do they have?

Scissoring?
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#23New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 21:10:06
@Jennifer1984 Said

I'm not sure what the attitude of "Soccer Mums" is. Are they vehemently anti-homosexual or something..? I really don't know.

Having said that, whatever you do, you'd be doing the homosexual community a grave disservice if you portrayed your character as a stereotype. A stereotype will not only come under immediate attack, but would further cement the kind of negative image that we don't like and really don't deserve.

Rather, it would be more productive if you modelled your character on being an ordinary person who just happens to be a lesbian, because that is what the vast, overwhelming majority of us are. Very ordinary. Boringly so, mostly.

We don't typically wear dungarees, grow beards or smoke cigars and we sure as heck don't go around waving rainbow flags all day long.

Rather, why not just let your character have the sort of everyday issues / scrapes / adventures that all kids have, but let her do it with a female companion with whom she is obviously very close and also, perhaps, lives with. Understate the sexuality aspect, but just do enough to make it clear that same gender relationships do occur and are quite normal. I think that might just present you with a writing challenge to get your teeth into. Good luck.

I saw the most hilarious parody video by a lesbian on YouTube on how to spot a lesbian.

1. They wear plaid
2. They wear soccer clothes
3. They drive a truck

There was more like what kind of sneakers they wear but I was laughing too hard to properly remember the rest. Oh, the short hair, the lesbian haircut.

A soccer mum is just a homemaker living in the sunbirds who drives a mini van shuttling her kids about to sports and other activities, they typically drink in the day and gossip while wearing expensive yoga pants.

I'm a soccer mom to my dog but I carry him around in my designer handbag.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#24New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 21:44:06
@chaski Said

I think you do care.

Walks away.

How's it going chas ?
Always good to see ya...um ?
(watches chaski walking away as he ignores me)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#25New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 21:46:08
@PTF Said

How's it going chas ?
Always good to see ya...um ?
(watches chaski walking away as he ignores me)

I made a topic in your honor...

@chaski Said

In honor of a particular TFS member, who will remain anonymous (PTF), who likes to make posts and finish with the phrase, "Walks Away."

This is the Walks Away topic.

Here's what you do... post something (perhaps an opinion that is either controversial or just stupid) and then say "Walks Away".

You might even post a walk away picture....

Like this...

Chaski: I love Jewish girls because they will kiss you even if your mouth is full of peanuts. Walks away.

[Note: Please keep in mind that you should not violate any TFS rules when participating.]
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#26New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 21:54:56
@chaski Said

I made a topic in your honor...

I'm honored.
Just finished posting.

(walks)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#27New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 21:59:57
@PTF Said

I'm honored.
Just finished posting.

(walks away)

Fixed that for you.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#28New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 22:12:38
@chaski Said

Fixed that for you.

Thanks !
I missed that twice so far.

(walks away quickly)
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#29New Post! May 06, 2015 @ 23:28:27
@Jennifer1984 Said

Very, very few look like that in real life. A gay man would know that.

Well, this is a very c***y post.
JaseR On June 06, 2015

Sydney, Australia
#30New Post! May 07, 2015 @ 09:14:53
@Jennifer1984 Said

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs