Has anyone checked Fort Knox lately?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#1New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 14:50:00
(Boy am I gonna get hammered on this one, I know so little about how the US Economy works...)

Ok, We owe China something like 500 Billion (I've heard).
Isn't our money supposed to be backed by gold bullion (spelling?) at Fort Knox?

Every time I see the tv talking about the "bailout" -- in the background -- you see images of money being printed.

You can print money all day -- but that isn't what gives it value...

What if Bush high-tails it out of here, and all the money (gold) is GONE?

Alright have at me for my ignorance.

When Bush came into power, I predicted he would bankrupt the US. And I believe he's going to get away with it.

What do you think, what do you know?
KZ_page On December 01, 2008

Deleted

lakeville,
#2New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 14:57:15
And you forgot to mention, although we own China 500 billion
they have poisoned our childen ,cats and dogs,and us.. with the toothpaste. our children's toys and formula,and even food, just to name a few,
I myself dont want to use dishes or cups made in china,and most are now,
Point is!! a county who we owe all this money too,is killing us in more ways than one...................

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#3New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 15:02:26
Well, KZ that's at least a good argument for why any country should try to keep themselves unreliant on any other nation -- if possible -- for it's own survival.

In the case of the USA, this nation has so much in the way of resources, metals, coal, ability to grow it's own food, manpower... there really is no reason we ever needed to go global for any of it.

I can only think greed was the reason we just didn't stay home and mind our own business, create our own products, and live happily ever after.
KZ_page On December 01, 2008

Deleted

lakeville,
#4New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 15:10:52
I agree 100%, they will never admit that it was a bad idea.and that we protect our own people and test what we put out here.
not saying a mistakes don't happen, they do,
but someone taking all this in from other countries is not doing there job.and if it's going to cost us more to have to test everything coming in from these countries, where are we ahead...
Ad if we are going to loose life's and become ill from these products,Then our country dont really care about our people.
if our products need to be tested here.Then why dont we make that happen, when shipped from other countries
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 15:29:45
The US Dollar hasn't been on the gold standard for over 30 years.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#6New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 15:39:30
God, Jonnythan. I didn't know that.

Now here's a huge request. If you could... could you explain how this works now?

It makes sense that it isn't on the gold standard, because there are a lot more valuable things than gold.

Wow, I'm not sure this question isn't too overwhelming for anyone. If there is no world money standard, what is the value of anything?

Don't shoot me.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 15:45:38
The US dollar is essentially floated on the stock market. As people buy more dollars on the market, the value of the dollar relative to other currencies goes up and vice versa.

Look up "reserve currency" and "fiat currency"
ybom On June 04, 2010

#8New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 16:10:46
@4000earthquakes Said

God, Jonnythan. I didn't know that.

Now here's a huge request. If you could... could you explain how this works now?

It makes sense that it isn't on the gold standard, because there are a lot more valuable things than gold.

Wow, I'm not sure this question isn't too overwhelming for anyone. If there is no world money standard, what is the value of anything?

Don't shoot me.

It all started in 1863. That's when we went to a National Bank System. In 1913 (same year the 16th Amendment wasn't passed), we went to a Federal (Reserve banking) system. Pushed hard by progressives in Congress. It was addressed due to the National Banks having "panics", and the goal was to make currency more elastic and liquid.

After that in the 30s, America went Nazi and put a public message out there stating to turn in your gold to the government (for reserve notes) or be considered a traitor. One would think we would've fought really big time back then. Why didn't we?

In 1976, we officially replaced the gold standard with a limited and partially secretive set of rules. The FED sets everything, and Congress can't even get all the numbers it needs to maintain sound monetary policy today. Yeah the FED does it all.

Personally, I think it should be called DEAF, Dictators Enacting Americans Finances.

If Congress would stop succumbing to scare tactics, we would still have a free bank system.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#9New Post! Oct 12, 2008 @ 18:17:11
@ybom Said
In 1976, we officially replaced the gold standard with a limited and partially secretive set of rules. The FED sets everything, and Congress can't even get all the numbers it needs to maintain sound monetary policy today. Yeah the FED does it all.

"Partially secretive" must be the key word here.

I tried googling, like Jonathan said, but I couldn't understand it.

I'm thinking the barter system is beginning to look better and better... All I need is a roof, food, electricity, and a job. I'll trade.

If the money's value is based on the stock market, and the stock market "falls", the money has no value. It's that simple. Why would we base our money on something that is unreliable?

Makes no sense to me.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013