Oliver Stone's "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Sep 25, 2010 @ 18:08:10
In one aspect, I'm comparing this movie to Avatar, in that it is spectacular (in its own way), technically excellent, and the story is very engaging. But the (unfounded) political bias, while not as over-the-top level as Avatar, it is nonetheless a mostly one sided polemic against capitalism while leaving government on the sidelines pretty much unscathed, when it should have been the other way around.

Oliver Stone, in his effort to damn leveraged debt, makes a lot of the Dutch Tulip Mania bubble of 1636/7. That was when the bulbs of a rare strain of tulip became so expensive due to speculation, they became worth 10x more that what a skilled craftsman could earn in 10 years. He probably has a point, but he doesn't drop the other shoe--government intervention. The Dutch Parliament unilaterally declared that the tulip contracts could be nullified by the holder for 3.5% of the contract price! Then when a few people had traded in a bulb or two for a country estate (literally), the bubble burst. Then trading was halted. If they hadn't panicked before, they were sure to stampede now. The "crash" almost certainly wouldn't have been near as bad if the government had just stayed out of it completely, AND most PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON.

To make matters even worse, judging by the increase in deposits in the Bank of Amsterdam, the government was expanding the money supply to "finance" the bailout. Does any of this sound familiar? While we're at it, why don't we take a long hard look at the definition of greed.
tobbyhot On January 15, 2011

Banned

manhattan, New York
#2New Post! Oct 26, 2010 @ 09:28:32
As you have already discussed the whole plot & even I have already read the story & watched the promos of the movie, they are really so exciting & I m planning to watch this soon. my friends had said this is really worth watching movie.

Astral Weeks, Florida
#3New Post! Nov 01, 2010 @ 15:06:00
Hmmm....while I watched the movie and it was entertaining...I thought it was pretty fabricated to say the least.

Coming from a finance/accounting background...I found the theories used to be old and "general" and really not very relevant to the times. And if they were...they're pretty much common sense...to me anyways or are so entwined with other theories...that it doesn't work in the way the movie showed.

While some of the tactics used in the movie were good and I do agree still happen today...for the most part, things were predictable and really un-real.

Not to mention...as much as I like Shia, I just didn't feel comfortable with him playing the part of a wall street trader...he's way, way to young that it made the movie even more unbelievable.

Plus...common...what saved the day for Geico was the fact that his daughter had a million or so in an off-short account. I mean...talk about not having that kind of cash just sitting there and you trying to get back on top.
galina On December 02, 2010

Banned

Gold coast, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 10:06:59
I have watched wall street money never sleeps movie.This drama movie is amazing and i like to watch all movies of oliver stone's as he directed very good movies of any genre.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs