The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Astronomy

Do you think it is possible that our Universe may exist inside of a blackhole?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#1New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 14:30:18
The Big Bang, is explained as being and infinitely small, and dense point, containing all of the matter that would make up you, me, Earth, the sun, the galaxy, and the Universe itself.

Blackholes are explained as being infitley dense and massive, thus having HUGE gravitational pulls, sucking in almost all matter around it.

At the heart of each galaxy, is thought to be a supermassive black hole. Supermassive black holes are actually really small compared to the stars the devour in mere seconds.

No one knows what happens to matter as it falls through the event horizon, and if anyone tried to travel through one, they would be ripped apart before they would see anything of importance. But heres my theory.

Once a SMBH devours its galaxy, and runs out of fuel, it will evaporate, if it doesnt find another galaxy or "food" source. Blackholes are infinitly massive and dense, so what happens when they evaporate? Where does all the matter go? It couldve been destroyed, or it could be clumped into the singularity that is the very first stage of a big bang.

Discuss.
LadyPlant On December 23, 2011

Wonderland, Oregon
#2New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 14:33:23
That's a really interesting theory. It makes a lot of sense.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 15:10:27
From what I know (which I admit isn't much) I think it's entirely possible but technically a singularity, no matter its mass has no size. I think even the event horizon boundary location is essentially unknowable as you can't see, feel, or measure where it starts.

Black holes are measured by their mass not their physical size.

Quote:
Because we don't know the shape of the matter after it has disappeared into a black hole (or even if it is matter at all anymore), we cannot say how large that shape is. So, the best measure for the size of a black hole is the size of the horizon of the black hole.

For an ordinary object with a particular shape there are fixed relationships between the different measures for the size of the object: If, for example, you know the diameter of a ball, then you can easily calculate the radius, the circumference, the surface area, and the volume of that ball. It really doesn't make much difference which measure you use, because you can calculate the other ones from that one.

Quote:
Because space and time are strongly distorted near a black hole, such relationships do not necessarily hold there. For example, a black hole doesn't have a diameter of which you can measure the length with something like a ruler, because if you pass through the horizon to start using your ruler, then you can never get out again.

https://www.astro.uu.nl/~strous/AA/en/antwoorden/zwarte-gaten.html
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#4New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 15:13:24
@SparklyKatie Said

From what I know (which I admit isn't much) I think it's entirely possible but technically a singularity, no matter its mass has no size. I think even the event horizon boundary location is essentially unknowable as you can't see, feel, or measure where it starts.

Black holes are measured by their mass not their physical size.

https://www.astro.uu.nl/~strous/AA/en/antwoorden/zwarte-gaten.html

So whats your take on my theory though?
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 15:24:59
@8FlOz Said

So whats your take on my theory though?

I think it's plausible and even entirely possible but probably never provable.
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#6New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 15:42:19
@SparklyKatie Said

I think it's plausible and even entirely possible but probably never provable.

True...but its still mind boggling.

If our universe came from a black hole, then that black hole's universe came froma black hole.
\m//O_O\\m/

#7New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 15:52:24
@8FlOz Said

True...but its still mind boggling.

If our universe came from a black hole, then that black hole's universe came froma black hole.

Possibly infinite universes.
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#8New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 16:02:55
@SparklyKatie Said

Possibly infinite universes.

:/

But infinty make NO SENSE. Everything must have had its origins. People can claim the circle argument, but that circle must have had its origins also.
\m//O_O\\m/

#9New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 16:09:59
@8FlOz Said

:/

But infinty make NO SENSE. Everything must have had its origins. People can claim the circle argument, but that circle must have had its origins also.

This helped me sort of get my head around infinity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

This is a good watch too.

Rudy1 On September 13, 2010

Melbourne, Australia
#10New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 16:20:30
Quote:
The Big Bang, is explained as being and infinitely small, and dense point, containing all of the matter that would make up you, me, Earth, the sun, the galaxy, and the Universe itself. Blackholes are explained as being infitley dense and massive, thus having HUGE gravitational pulls, sucking in almost all matter around it. At the heart of each galaxy, is thought to be a supermassive black hole. Supermassive black holes are actually really small compared to the stars the devour in mere seconds. No one knows what happens to matter as it falls through the event horizon, and if anyone tried to travel through one, they would be ripped apart before they would see anything of importance. But heres my theory. Once a SMBH devours its galaxy, and runs out of fuel, it will evaporate, if it doesnt find another galaxy or "food" source. Blackholes are infinitly massive and dense, so what happens when they evaporate? Where does all the matter go? It couldve been destroyed, or it could be clumped into the singularity that is the very first stage of a big bang. Discuss.

There is another set of ideas on the scene now called superstring theory . It attempts to answer questions such as yours, but it is still an unproven theory. It says that there may be an infinite number of universes side by side like slices in a loaf of bread. These universes do not touch each other normally however. On the rare occasion when they do touch, there is a transer of energy from one to the other - the Big Bang.

On another tack, it was Stephan Hawking who theorised that black holes eventually evaporate into radiation. In fact, he said that this would eventually happen to all matter in our universe. There have been other people who have said that black holes are tears in space/time and all matter caught in them is passed into another universe or even elsewhere in the same universe. Who's right? No one knows yet. It is an interesting subject nontheless.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 14:35:41
a hole with 2 sides... interesting
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#12New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:47:06
@Willi Said

a hole with 2 sides... interesting

gosh darnIT MICHIO KAKU YOU d*** NUGGET!

Im mad that he beat me to it.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013