The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Physics

The electromagnetic spectrum and dark matter/black holes.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:10:45
I know the wavelengths in the spectrum go from very small (gamma rays at trillionths of a meter) to the very large (radio waves at tens or hundreds or meters). Is there anything beyond these? Is a wavelength of a million meters still a radio wave and if you go similarly smaller with gamma rays?

Gamma rays according to wikipedia have wavelengths "often smaller than an atom." Which atom? If it's hydrogen there's still things smaller than that. (elementary particles and such) Is it possible we can't detect dark matter and see black holes simply because we can't measure wavelengths at the sub atomic scale? If we could detect waves at, say, 10 times smaller than a gamma ray, is it possible we could 'see' a black hole and dark matter?

If the universe is infinate surely there will always be a smaller and larger wavelength wave than what we've seen. Or am I being dumb.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#2New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:23:33
Wouldn't it still be impossible to "see" a black hole since it omits nothing?

I think the only way of detecting them is to see the effects of objects surrounding it.
\m//O_O\\m/

#3New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:33:40
@Pete Said

Wouldn't it still be impossible to "see" a black hole since it omits nothing?

I think the only way of detecting them is to see the effects of objects surrounding it.

Umm yeah I see your point, but mine was that it only emits 'nothing' as far as our limited observations of the spectrum can detect. a wave a billion times shorter than a gamma wave would be a billion times more energetic wouldn't it. In an infinate universe a wave could theoretically have an infinately short wavelength and therefore infinate energy and be able to escape.

Sorry lol I'm just having weird thought moment.

If it's possible for a black hole to have infinate gravity surely a wave could have infinate energy?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#4New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:39:40
@SparklyKatie Said

Umm yeah I see your point, but mine was that it only emits 'nothing' as far as our limited observations of the spectrum can detect. a wave a billion times shorter than a gamma wave would be a billion times more energetic wouldn't it. In an infinate universe a wave could theoretically have an infinately short wavelength and therefore infinate energy and be able to escape.

Sorry lol I'm just having weird thought moment.

If it's possible for a black hole to have infinate gravity surely a wave could have infinate energy?

Ah, I see your point, but if a black hole had infinite gravity against a wave with infinite energy, wouldn't that cancel each other out?
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:43:00
@Pete Said

Ah, I see your point, but if a black hole had infinite gravity against a wave with infinite energy, wouldn't that cancel each other out?

I guess, but it would create a bubble of energy around the black hole that could be detected as it was neither inside or outside the event horizon, or in both places at once at the quantum level wouldn't it?
Lfc1892 On August 10, 2010

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2010 @ 22:57:46
The word " Curvature " came to mind when you mentioned that although i may be wrong, I think it's the wave that stores particles surrounding black holes which get sucked in and spit back out like a recycling machine.
\m//O_O\\m/

#7New Post! Mar 24, 2010 @ 22:26:01
@Lfc1892 Said

The word " Curvature " came to mind when you mentioned that although i may be wrong, I think it's the wave that stores particles surrounding black holes which get sucked in and spit back out like a recycling machine.

I might be wrong but I don't think that's it. I've been reading up on black holes but I can't seem to find anything about energy outside what we can detect. I think jonnythan would be a good person to ask but he's not here.

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#8New Post! Mar 24, 2010 @ 22:36:01
@SparklyKatie Said

I might be wrong but I don't think that's it. I've been reading up on black holes but I can't seem to find anything about energy outside what we can detect. I think jonnythan would be a good person to ask but he's not here.

Im sure einstein would have some interesting theories that might help you , Im more into the history stuff and the art of war, Im disappointed about the lack of interest about wars here though
\m//O_O\\m/

#9New Post! Mar 24, 2010 @ 22:41:31
@Lfc1892 Said

Im sure einstein would have some interesting theories that might help you , Im more into the history stuff and the art of war, Im disappointed about the lack of interest about wars here though

Yeah, unfortunately he's dead.

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#10New Post! Mar 24, 2010 @ 23:09:42
@SparklyKatie Said

Yeah, unfortunately he's dead.

You cheeky sod.. Check out his manuscripts and theology writings he did when he was breathing
\m//O_O\\m/

#11New Post! Mar 24, 2010 @ 23:15:02
@Lfc1892 Said

You cheeky sod.. Check out his manuscripts and theology writings he did when he was breathing

I've been thinking about buying some of his books, might get this one.

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#12New Post! Mar 25, 2010 @ 11:44:01
@SparklyKatie Said

I've been thinking about buying some of his books, might get this one.

I'd say i would need that , I looked at some of the quantum physics he did and it was like looking at scribbles on a piece of paper to me, I hadn't the foggiest idea..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs