The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Do you believe you can make a difference in this world?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bizgrad On April 04, 2010

#1New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:01:51
My husband and I were watching some documentary on TV a couple weeks ago about scientist trying to slow the melting of glaciers by covering them with this certain material. My husband is a complete critic and got on this kick about global warming is a crock...stuff. As he continued to complain for well over a half hour, I quietly listened.

I let some time pass, for I knew it was only a matter of time before this subject would come up again. Sure enough it did a week later. We were watching a documentary on Tesla. Amazing. As we got ready for bed and I snuggled in I had to say my peace. "Can one person make a difference in this world? Many times we judge a person to soon. I think one person can make a difference. Many have proved it. So what's wrong with scientist trying to stop the glaciers from melting? We may not notice much of a difference in our life time but only time will tell. Look at Tesla. He made a difference and we are all enjoying the benefits of it."

So what made these other men and women so special we don't strive to do the same? We all came into this world the same way. What are you doing to make a difference?
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#2New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:07:07
I'm not. I've been let down too many times to bother. As I see it, the world's got no hope.
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#4New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:19:01
People are too lazy and apathetic to care, they'd rather indulge on the things made by suffering.

One person can make a difference, aslong as we slowly evolve, then things will get better, but from what i can see, the world is going down. And honestly, i hope it does sometimes, people are no good to the world.

#5New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:23:00
I don't think the hope of this world should make a difference how you live your life here. We all have a limited time. If you have a gift you should pass it on. If for nobody other than yourself. I know I am my own worse critic. Your conscience will let you know in the end if you can be proud of yourself and if you will find peace with what you have done.

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#6New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:29:01
Well, I don't encourage anyone to live the way I do. But the world's shown me I don't matter to it so I've made the feeling mutual. I've got a boy I'm raising and that's number one. I want more but the older I get the more I see that's increasingly unlikely to happen.
As far as the rest goes, with the suffering in the world, I care, and it's sad, but for all practical purposes, what I can do in my little corner won't make any difference. The suffering is going to continue anyway.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#7New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:30:19
I make a difference everyday. From making at least one person smile a day to other things.

But I have also chosen to let my career fall in public service. Although private practice would be optimal as far as money. I enjoy the public much better.

I specifically like working with children, kids, and youths. Mainly well i like it, but I also believe we're the future. I do a lot of programs with that not only with work, church but school too.

It just depends on how you look at it. Changing the world can mean doing something big to doing something small as you yourself having a positive attitude. You smiling can make someone eles smile and let them have a good day.
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#8New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:31:04
Its our legacy, if we teach our kids how to live better, then it will continue and there will be bigger changes. We all contribute in our own small ways. Yeah, humans are expendable and have short lifespans, thats why we need to teach better lessons to our generations.

So far, we've taught our children to be prejudice, greedy, gluttonous and depraved, now look at our world.

Our gift is the lessons learned from our ancestors, teaching them our past is the only way to make our ancestor's lives meaningful.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#9New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:35:41
My aunt, who was an amazing woman said something that I'll never forget. She referred to her life in stages and the only ending would be death. She said that she had a full life before she married and lived it to the fullest. She never let an opportunity to help others pass. Then she had her life with her husband; raising a family. He passed young and she had to go on; this, she called her third life. I admired this person more than anyone, other than my parents. She felt that people who claimed to be bored were boring. She taught me that great things can come of small tasks; people must work together. I'll never be her equal, but in my own way, I've tried to live this way. Giving up is not an option; it's the way of cowards.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#10New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:37:31
I think I can make a difference. I work with abused women and children at the domestice violence shelters that I sponsor and I work with handicapped children , letting them have a chande to ride horses . So yeah I feel like I've had to have an impact on at least a few people .

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#11New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:39:05
@boobagins Said

It just depends on how you look at it. Changing the world can mean doing something big to doing something small as you yourself having a positive attitude. You smiling can make someone eles smile and let them have a good day.

I can see that. The individuals in my life- family members, friends, etc., are important to me and among other things I'm a shoulder to cry on and a problem solver. But strangers, groups, organizations, etc., I do not trust or have anything to do with.

#12New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 01:46:51
@readsalot Said

My aunt, who was an amazing woman said something that I'll never forget. She referred to her life in stages and the only ending would be death. She said that she had a full life before she married and lived it to the fullest. She never let an opportunity to help others pass. Then she had her life with her husband; raising a family. He passed young and she had to go on; this, she called her third life. I admired this person more than anyone, other than my parents. She felt that people who claimed to be bored were boring. She taught me that great things can come of small tasks; people must work together. I'll never be her equal, but in my own way, I've tried to live this way. Giving up is not an option; it's the way of cowards.

We have so much to learn from our elders. I worked with this women who was in her mid 40's. She said something to me one day I'll never forget. I walked into her office where the fault was to put some documents away, and she asked how I was doing. I replied "I can't wait until 5pm Friday." She said her dad use to tell her she was wishing her life away when she would say something like that. I giggled at the time, but driving home I really thought about what she said. It was true. You can either live in the moment or wish your life away. Now I choose to live in the moment.
KrazyKatz On April 09, 2009

On the road again., California
#14New Post! Mar 19, 2009 @ 02:34:29
I try to live a good life everyday.
That's enough change for me to do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs